DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #20 - The Light of the World (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/495141-uwol-20-light-world.html)

Bill Thesken April 27th, 2011 03:46 AM

UWOL #20 - The Light of the World

I got a bunch of footage the day the theme was announced, and even had the music picked out. When I looked at it on the timeline it appeared that even though the camera was still, the world was moving around it like it was part of the music. It sat like that for weeks until the weekend of the deadline. I figured I would just leave it as it was, and then I realized that the due date for uploading the film was on Easter day. So I went out at dawn and captured the Easter sunrise, and a couple of other shots and made a symbolic film:

YouTube - The Light of the World

Mike Sims April 27th, 2011 11:12 AM

Re: UWOL #20 - The Light of the World

Hi Bill. It must be wonderful to live in a land of eye candy! We are in a terrible drought and everything is brown and suffering. It sure is a welcome relief to watch all your beautiful shots. My favorite was the Oncidium Yellow Dancing Lady Orchid. That shot could have been a bit longer. I also liked the light through the branches with the prismatic effect. Was that a filter or serendipity? Very nice.

Chris Barcellos April 27th, 2011 11:35 AM

Nice little film, Bill.

Ruth Happel April 27th, 2011 07:01 PM

I liked the juxtaposition of light on land and in water, back and forth, sort of mesmerizing. You had a very nice assortment of footage, capturing many permutations of light. The ending with the Easter sunrise was a very inspirational way to close the film. Very nice.

Bill Thesken April 28th, 2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Sims (Post 1643508)
Hi Bill. It must be wonderful to live in a land of eye candy! We are in a terrible drought and everything is brown and suffering. It sure is a welcome relief to watch all your beautiful shots. My favorite was the Oncidium Yellow Dancing Lady Orchid. That shot could have been a bit longer. I also liked the light through the branches with the prismatic effect. Was that a filter or serendipity? Very nice.

Thank you all. Mike, I set up that prismatic shot. Stock lens, high noon, straight up through the branches, kind of a cool effect. Very impressed that you know the type of orchid.

Catherine Russell April 28th, 2011 02:14 PM

Hey Bill:

You routinely inspire me with your time lapses and is an effective way to draw people in at the beginning of your films. Lots of wondrous displays of light in this piece and nice interplay between light under water and over land :)

Your ending was dramatized very creatively and effectively with the fast cut-aways and quick exchanges between the prism light, the crosses and the statue. There was no way for anyone to misinterpret the meaning of your film. Nicely done. I happen to agree with you that Jesus is the light of the world :)

Do you recall the song that Jorma Kaukonen from Hot Tuna sang "Just as long as I'm in this world, I am the Light of this World"? .... or does that date me :) It's a great song!

Cat

Steve Siegel April 28th, 2011 05:54 PM

Very pretty film, Bill. I like the way you use the same underwater shot to anchor the rest of the clips together. The ending was inspirational, and it wasn't until then that I realized how appropriate your choice of music was.

Dale Guthormsen April 28th, 2011 07:37 PM

Bill,

this is really different from all your work. it was very interesting and must say it pulled me in much more in the last 40 seconds of the video with the snapping from images to light and speeding up as it drew to a close. This was a pretty captivating end!!!

Very nicely done!! Thanks for taking the time!!!!!

I was waiting for big waves though!!!!

Trond Saetre April 29th, 2011 03:40 AM

Hello Bill,

The opening shot, the underwater shots, the flowers... I like it all!
Very cool light effects when you film underwater towards the surface.

Well done!

Geir Inge April 30th, 2011 04:01 AM

Hi Bill.
What a fine timelaps to open the video with.
Very nice colors indeed and editing work.
I like your "uwolmix" (under water over land), finally I get to use that word :)
It's spellbinding together with your choice of music.
Clever done and then the ending, nice work my friend.
I think your video is hooked straight up to the theme.
Well done.