UWOL changes are in the air :) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old May 5th, 2011, 08:06 AM   #1
Trustee

UWOL changes are in the air :)

Hi everyone:

Congratulations again all of you who participated in the last round. Your hard work and dedication to this forum is paying off and the UWOL "roundtable" appreciate you all!

It has been over 3 years since Meryem's inspired vision started this film challenge. It began as an open invitation to anyone who had the inspiration and inclination to head out in the great outdoors with camera in hand and capture "your world through your artistic vision". It started and always has been a welcoming place to encourage all levels of experience and ability and it focused on helping beginners get started in the exciting yet intimidating field of wildlife cinematography. Meryem has encouraged each and everyone of us to meet our highest potential and to keep after it in the pursuit of excellence. I personally am a product of her inspiration.

But it is time to move forward with a UWOL that addresses the needs of the filmmakers you have become. Digital video is vastly different and more powerful than it was even just three years ago when this challenge started. Filmmakers are achieving higher standards of precision with smaller and more efficient file sizes. You all have advanced yourselves as students of the 21st century and it's time UWOL adapts to your ability and expertise.

This we know, but how UWOL will change has yet to be determined. It needs careful thought and discussion from this group to formulate ideas as to how UWOL can now best suit your needs. It needs a strong and insightful leader to head this up and take on the challenges of reforming UWOL to what it will become. In the best interest of UWOL this leader should not and will not be me.

I have given the UWOL roundtable my notice because I am a suitable manager for the UWOL that currently is today but not suitable for what UWOL must become. You as filmmakers don't need a cheerleader but an established filmmaker with real industry experience to give you the critiques you are looking for and the credibility you deserve. A participant in our challenge once made an observation that one problem with UWOL is there is no distinguishable separation between leader and students. I tend to agree with this observation.

So I'm thrilled to be hopping back over onto the other side of the fence and join you as a student in the pursuit of excellence in wildlife film making. I have had a most wonderful time heading up this forum the past three rounds. I have been inspired by your talents and determination, and I have been exceedingly honored to have sat at the UWOL roundtable with Meryem, Kevin and Mat to run this forum. I have had their undivided and full support from start to finish and will never be able to express just what this experience has meant to me.

With this said I am thrilled for what's next! Be careful to note that this is not the thread for discussion. This is simply Cat's personal "good bye and hello, I'm switching hats" statement. We need order to conduct discussion in the proper way at the proper time.

Meryem will follow up with her own thoughts as to how to proceed from here. Like all of you, I'm looking forward to what she has to say.

Cheers everyone! You guys are the best! As I think Meryem might say, "planet earth thanks you". You are a service to the incredible wild and natural world that surrounds us by documenting her magnificent displays of power and beauty. And I personally hope that God blesses all of you in all that you do.

On that note, let's go make some film :)

Your friend and fellow UWOLer

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: UWOL changes are in the air :)

Much thanks and gratitude to Cat for keeping the UWOL ship afloat while I'm off working on the largest project of my life: Home

Y'all made some great films - I've been keeping an eye on things in the background even though my comments have been sparse. And it has been gratifying to see some new names taking the podium finish as well.

UWOL will be taking a hiatus until the mid-to-end of July. When we resume, we will be considering the future of the contest, making modifications to existing rules, etc.

Meanwhile, get out there and shoot something. The great big beautiful ball of dirt, spinning inexorably on its axis, awaits you!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 05:55 AM   #3
Trustee

Cat, thanks for everything you have done to keep this forum alive. Meryem, looking forward to the summer. Maybe we should have another "fun shoot". Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #4
Major Player

Cat,

I think we need a bloopers reel. All those shots we would like to hide. Surly there are soom that would give us a laugh or cry.
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:03 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Safay View Post
Maybe we should have another "fun shoot". Bob
A fun shoot would be great!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #6
Major Player

Aren't all shoots fun?
Old May 8th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Yep, all shoots are fun. If not, we're not following rule 11 hard enough, haha.
Bob was referring to an "while we wait for the next uwol, let's have an out of contest shoot" just for fun. We have done this earlier as well.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Good evening,

Well, actually, there is the DV challenge sign up available right now until thursday.

We could bombard the dv group and see if we can steel away their Prize!!!

I signed up in hopes of a theme I could do alone.

But another fun round June first would be alright too.

dale

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge