DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Colors of the nature - fun shoot by Trond Saetre (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/498040-colors-nature-fun-shoot-trond-saetre.html)

Trond Saetre July 4th, 2011 02:10 AM

Colors of the nature - fun shoot by Trond Saetre

I thought colors as a theme would be pretty easy. Well, that was before the editing.
Not easy to come up with an insteresting story, so I ended up concentrating about the visuals instead.
Two of the locations are with near lakes, and then I filmed a little while I was boating. Even though the water was almost flat, keeping the camera steady was a huge challenge.

Hope you enjoy.

Colors of the nature

Marj Atkins July 5th, 2011 12:28 PM

Re: Colors of the nature - fun shoot by Trond Saetre

Hi Trond

You live in one of the most scenic countries in the world and once again you have given us some really beautiful visuals from Norway! I enjoyed the details of the flowers and the cryptic colouring of the wildlife – as you say, their camouflage makes them hard to spot easily.

I think this is the best video you have made so far. The story line is very basic but it gives the film some structure. It flows well from one scene to another although it did end rather suddenly. I really take my hat off to you guys in Norway! It must be very difficult to do a film in English when it is not your home language.

You footage is very good – some nice pans and tilts. (I personally would remove the bumpy clips of the river banks. It looks like you took those from a boat and I found them a little distracting as a result.)

BTW – Not sure if you are aware of this but as it features in your introduction I thought it might be worth mentioning that red, blue and green are primary colours for light (additive colour mixing). Red blue and yellow are the primary colours for pigments (subtractive colour mixing). Most colour in nature originates from pigments.

I like your choice of music for this film very much.

Thank you for organizing this fun challenge Trond – and giving us such a great theme!

Bill Thesken July 5th, 2011 03:20 PM

Trond, always glad to hear the Norwegian style voice over. That camera you are using now captures the type of color I'm always trying achieve but rarely am able to with the greens and the blacks. Funny shot with the big bee leaving the flower!

Trond Saetre July 6th, 2011 12:17 PM

Marj,
Thank you for the heads up about pigment colors.
You are right, the bumpy shots were taken from my boat. I see your point about remove these clips.
I chose to include them because it shows the variety of colors of the sea shore.

Bill,
I can absolutely recommend the XF300. The colors and details are amazing.

Thank you for the feedback.

Geir Inge July 8th, 2011 07:50 AM

Hi Trond.
Nice video and story.
Great colors and scenery too, but as a Norwegian I might be a little bit incompetent, so to speak :)
Maybe I would have dropped the scenes taken from the boat, a bit shaky.
Have a nice summer and keep on the good work.

David Rice July 8th, 2011 08:04 AM

Nice to see some of my relatives participating. I'm 100% Gulicksen on my mother's side of the family. Welsh on my father's side, who are mostly Sons of Norway from the rape, pillage, spoil days.

Dave
Sitka Alaska

Dale Guthormsen July 8th, 2011 02:08 PM

Tronde,

As always, you have the best place in the world for spectacular footage.

The closing shot has to be one of the best I have ever seen, bar none!!

The shot at 30 seconds was slightly out of focus and I was waiting for a rack focus to it which never came. Personally I think it was not an asset to your other superb shots!!

the waterfowl (eiders??) was a really nice shot adding a more depth to your video!! Curiously, did you slow it down a bit in post to prevent flicker, or did you shoot it progressive at lower shutter speed?

Just a thought, As you were moving toward the end, you put the hard green bug shot in. I think it would have been smoother to have moved it back to before the lake shot (whenre you have heavy freens behind the flowers) and let the softer colors of the lichen banks and subtle hillside colors lead into the beautifully done reflective sunset!!

As usual you have some delightful video and the end is just the best!!!

Thanks Tronde!!

Trond Saetre July 9th, 2011 06:26 AM

Geir,
Thanks for your valuable feedback. I will make a re-edit based on your and other's comments.

Dale,
The shot you mention is normal speed. I only shoot progressive, and used 1/50 shutter speed.
I agree a rack focus would improve the other shot at 30sec. Unfortunately I did not notice the focus error until later. Big mistake!

David,
Nice to have you with us in the uwol family! :)