DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#21 Go Wild in a NWR (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/500163-uwol-21-go-wild-nwr.html)

Bob Safay August 30th, 2011 05:15 PM

UWOL#21 Go Wild in a NWR

My entry was shot in three National Wildlife Refuges in central and south Georgia. I got very lucky this time. I was sent to Jacksonville, Florida for a few days and on the way took a little detour to the Okefenokee Swamp in south Georgia to finish shooting my entry. Hope ya'll enjoy it. Bob Safay

Simon Wood September 1st, 2011 01:43 PM

Re: UWOL#21 Go Wild in a NWR

Good job on getting all four animals in there. Swamps are the location to get all these critters in the one place (as proven by both you and Mike Sims). The amphibians were the hardest to find I take it - I love how you reinforced the image of the tadpoles with the bullfrog narration - kudos!

This documentary is a well grounded story, and I could really see this format being used as an advertorial on a Reserve or Parks website (or a tourism site). Its a good solid style - I need to study that technique actually. I might add you have a really great voice for narration; I have a friend from Augusta who I worked with here in Uganda; you and he sound very similar (I guess its a Georgia thing). Everyone used to swoon over his voice here!

I like how you left the natural noises from the areas you were in form the soundscape to the movie; the natural noises really helped sell your story about the places you were visiting (and music is often an easy way out).

Anyhow, I'm sold. I would love to visit some of these Refuges!

Lorinda Norton September 1st, 2011 11:12 PM

What a professionally-done, solid piece, Bob! I found the landscape interesting, particularly since I drove near Macon last spring (from Columbus to Savannah) and never got off the highway to see anything like the swamp. That's a long ol' drive from Atlanta--I'm impressed that you made the trip in order to find what you needed for this theme. Good deal on getting sent down to the border, as well, since what I think is your most compelling footage was shot there.

I agree with Simon on the audio--as much as I enjoy nice background music, I loved hearing the sounds of the wildlife in the area. You do a great job of capturing audio.

Mike Sims September 2nd, 2011 03:44 PM

Hi, Bob. This video has a feel to it like it should be running on a continuous loop at the Visitor’s Center! These are all now on my “need to go” list. You got a nice variety of wildlife. Good job following the hawk in flight. I also liked the through the windshield transition between sites. My only suggestion is to consider perhaps rearranging the order of the sites. I think the rack shot and accompanying voice-over at the end of Bond Swamp would have made a powerful ending. Good work.

Geir Inge September 3rd, 2011 01:07 AM

Hi Bob.
This was an outstanding video. You have identified all four species in an excellent manner.
Nature Reserve is a great way and a necessity, I mean to preserve the species.
I always admire those who get the good pans and tilts, you're one of them.
I see that you are editing in Vegas Pro 10, so I have much to learn from you.
The audio in your video is good and a nice mix between voice and background sound.
I think you have everything it takes to create a professional nature video.
Pans, change of focus, close-up, review and a good story.
In retrospect, I thought - oh there was no music in your video?
Well, I'm so used to the music of nature films that I react when not to.
Bob, it can be a blessing to watch a nature video without music.
The film is both enlightening and instructive, and I will see it several times - not least to learn.
Thank you for sharing.

Markus Nord September 3rd, 2011 02:37 AM

Hi Bob
Well done on getting all 4 in there... Nice presentation and good mix of shots. You voice is really nice as a VO.
Good job on this one!

Finn-Erik Faale September 3rd, 2011 04:58 AM

I really enjoy your film.
Your comments are interesting and you have an natural gift of a good voice.
The editing is good and you have a fine mix of great shots. The closeups are outstanding.
You also impress with a good camera technique.
The sound without music appeals to me. Maybe the natural sound level could be lowered a few places.

Bill Thesken September 3rd, 2011 12:23 PM

You got some great shots in there Bob. The focus and voiceover with the dragonfly was a cool trick. Makes me want to visit a National Park, but I wouldn't want to get lost in the Okefenokee swamp... You should pitch the video with the park service.