DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL21-Fun Facts by Markus Nord (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/500191-uwol21-fun-facts-markus-nord.html)

Markus Nord August 31st, 2011 11:48 AM

UWOL21-Fun Facts by Markus Nord

Hi

Ok, this is not spot on the theme, but I think I cover the ”fish part” any way. Cyana is a cyanobacteria, the plantonic ”algae “ that blooms in big mass during the summer in the Baltic Sea.
This is a “pitch film” that I will try to pitch on different TV stations around the Baltic Sea.
The Animation is a bit ruff, and for a final production it will be in 3D (or something like that).
It is all shot with my 7D in a Ikelite housing. I used a 8mm, 20mm and 100mm Macro for this production.

Thanks to Lorinda and Madison, I got a voice that fit Cyana so big Cred goes out to them.

I hope you enjoy and if you got some time, show it to your (or someone you know) kids and see if they like it. I would love to here what that have to say.

Cheers From Sweden

Simon Wood September 1st, 2011 02:14 PM

Re: UWOL21-Fun Facts by Markus Nord

I figured you were really challenging yourself when you announced you would be making a childrens documentary about seaweed as explained by Cyanobacteria! I figured this would be a tough sale, but I was pleasantly surprised by the result.

I showed this to my 3 year old boy, and while I dont think he understood exactly what was going on (I guess this would be pitched at kids a bit older than him) he was certainly very entranced by the imagery he was watching. The seaweed is almost hypnotic as it moves around, and it actually calmed my son down (he was a bit hyper at the beginning), we actually watched the documentary 3 times back-to-back with him asking questions about it.

The 'menus' in the intro and conclusion are nice and professionally done; and it would be cool to see how you develop the Cyan character in the future in terms of her animation (hopefully you will update us).

The voice over suits the character, and the music suited the imagery, so the whole piece gelled together well.

Last summer I spent a week cycling on the Åland Islands (technically Finland but effectively Sweden) in the Baltic Sea - after cycling during the day we would usually cool off in the water. Next time I go there I will pay more attention to the seaweed washed up on the beach to see if it is bladderwrack or not!

Lorinda Norton September 1st, 2011 11:33 PM

Wow, Markus--how enlightening to see the finished video! Well done. Your images are very interesting and make learning about the bladder wrack so much easier. It just goes to show how important the images are--I think one of the reasons Madison had some trouble with the dialog is that she didn't have a clue about what she was saying. Now I'm wishing I had done some research and explained it to her so she was doing more than reading words.

The voice over, in my opinion, is the weakest link here as far as selling the piece goes. If you want, I will show the video to Madison, who will probably be horrified at what she and I did, and we could see about replacing the audio with a more animated, confident and conversational recording. Or I would be happy to audition others until we find a perfect Cyana for your series. :)

Rob Evans September 2nd, 2011 09:26 AM

Hi Markus, visually I loved everything about this film - totally absorbing, fascinating and well shot.Great intros & outros. Particularly loved the shot floating up to Esox Lucius (sp?) - did it shoot off shortly afterwards preventing a close up?

Now i should probably watch it back on another device to be fair, but going from the sound on my laptop, the volume of the music was competing with the voiceover - consequently I did really struggle to understand most of it.

Finn-Erik Faale September 2nd, 2011 02:51 PM

Marcus, you have made a fine film from your familiar element.
The editing and the choice of scenes fit well to the narrating.
Madison has a clear voice, but as Rob mentioned,
it could be even better with a gently reduced volume on the music.
This is a common problem in many professional TV-programs today.

I am looking forward to seeing more nice "pitch films" from the Baltc Sea.

Mike Sims September 2nd, 2011 03:48 PM

Good-luck with your pitch, Markus. I think you have a great idea. I liked the animated transitions with Cyana and especially the Fun Facts Notes. I presume those will carry over to all episodes. I’d love to hear what ideas you have for future episodes. I guess they won’t be in English? I suggest you put the name Bladderwrack at the top of the Notes since, I think, much of your audience will not have been familiar with it before seeing the video and a little reinforcement couldn’t hurt. Please keep us posted on how your project proceeds- you have my very best wishes!

Markus Nord September 3rd, 2011 05:23 AM

Thanks guys!
Yes, it is not something new for me... I know this like the back of my hand. But I need to improve on telling a story and coming up with a interesting story that make kids (and adult) interested in what is going on under the surface.

Mike - yes "the note" is a way to wrap up the story and underscore some important thinks from the film. This pitch is in English 'cause I'll will pitch it in all countries around the Baltic Sea.

Finn-Erik - I'll lover the music some... It's hard to know if the volume is right when you know the script.

Rob - Thanks, yes the Pike (Esox lucius) took if just a second after the clip ends. This small one is a bit edgy! Older one sits at the bottom much longer. They I can get just a few cm from... But they are hard to find.

Lorinda - yes, in some of her wording it's a bit "reading" of the word. It is really hard to tell a story if you don't know what you are telling about. If you and Medison got time, feel free to do it over again.

Simon - nice to hear thatyou son liked it, even if hi didn't understand everything. I tried to simplify the words as much as I could. But it is hard when certain things got a complicated word. Simon, if you got you way up here again, let me know and I point you to some interesting locations. Åland is a beautiful place....

Thanks for viewing everyone...

Geir Inge September 4th, 2011 03:59 AM

Hey Markus.
You provide, yet another fine and information-filled video, from the underwater world.
I think it will fit perfectly in the school for young children.
Your video have good editing, good colors (although much is brown) and clear images.
VO is somewhat low in relation to the music and maybe you could work more with empathy in her voice?
You are one of our (uwolers) skilled underwater photographers, we can learn a lot from you.
Wish you good luck and thanks for sharing.

Marj Atkins September 4th, 2011 01:00 PM

You are a wonderful ambassador for the Baltic sea Marcus.

This is an excellent idea – making children aware of the problems facing the environment while they are still impressionable and in a fun way!

I feel the vocabulary is too difficult for children though.

Marj Atkins September 5th, 2011 01:43 AM

Although it was most certainly not my intention and was motivated by a real desire to see for this work for you Marcus I realized this morning that what I wrote here last night sounded really dreadful and so I removed my post. My apologies.

Markus Nord September 5th, 2011 03:04 AM

Marj! Absolutly not, I apriseated every word you wrote. As you know English isn't my first, so writing a interesting story aimed for children, but for adult to view is a bit tricky. I will consider you ideas and se what Iwill come up with. The English VO is just for TV stations to view, for broadcast it will be in there native language. I will probably write one in Swedish first and translate from that one.
I do teach a lot about this, all ages, but in Swedish.

Bob Safay September 5th, 2011 04:57 AM

Markus, my first thought was "wow, how did he do that?" Excellant. The use of the mermaid and Madisons voice over was such an inspirational way to not only tell a story, but it is a perfect way to educate children about environmental problems. Videos like yours has made this the best challenge of all. As I have already stated, we each told a story, we educated each other. This is just the type of video that will push children to learn. It is just as easy to teach a child about the environment as it is to teach then "see spot run". Fantastic job, Bob

Trond Saetre September 5th, 2011 12:26 PM

Hei Markus,

I'd say this was your best one so far.
As been mentioned already, Madison did a great VO, but would probably have done even better if she had an idea about what she was talking about. A couple places it was pretty obvious she was just reading, instead of "being the talking voice".

Well done!

Bill Thesken September 5th, 2011 06:40 PM

Great Production Markus - love the clear underwater shots and the graphics. Your narrator has a perfect voice for your character.

Markus Nord September 24th, 2011 12:51 PM

I apologies for my late response
Thank you all for viewing and comment.

Bob – Thank you Bob, this is the beginning of a series of films about different key creatures, environmental problems and other special events.

Trond – Madison did a great job for not knowing anything about this. She is a champ and I am thankful for her and Lorindas effort.

Bill – Thanks bill.

Madison, if you are reading this… Thank you some much for you help, you did grate for not knowing anything about this. Your effort will make my pitch so much easier. So I will have some meeting….

As an update for you that are interested, I have met some ppl that are interested in my project and have showed great response. I will meet with some in the next month.
Thank you everyone for you support.