DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Tales of Wonders and Woes - UWOL22 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/505765-tales-wonders-woes-uwol22.html)

Bill Thesken March 21st, 2012 11:38 PM

Re: Tales of Wonders and Woes - UWOL22

3 Attachment(s)
It was a close call as these pictures can attest.
No one said filming wildlife was going to be easy.

Geir Inge March 22nd, 2012 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Thesken (Post 1722377)
It was a close call as these pictures can attest.
No one said filming wildlife was going to be easy.

Great story and great pictures.
It's not easy - but sure it's a lot of fun ;)

All the best.
Geir Inge

Trond Saetre March 22nd, 2012 01:38 AM

Great pictures, Bill, and an interesting concept you have there!
Good luck!

Markus Nord March 22nd, 2012 02:44 AM

for the story I'm writing, I would need for some shots of a boat wash. But the Local boat wash is not in the water yet, so I can only get shots of it on land. I got some archive shots of it from last summer when it is in the water and a boat is getting washed. Those shots was not taken for UWOL, and the rules say 10% old material, but only if it original for UWOL. It's 10-15 sec, 3-4 shots...

Yes or No?

Mike Sims March 22nd, 2012 07:35 AM

I think there is a grey area with some room for maneuver here. When you took the boat wash footage last summer you obviously had some purpose in mind. If that purpose was to eventually use it in a story like the one you are doing for UWOL then no problem for me. If it was for a commercial for the local boat wash then perhaps not (in a strict interpretation of the rules- I still don‘t object if it helps you tell your story.) In the end we are all our own Jininey Cricket and we have certainly seen this rule stretched considerably in the past.

Personally, I would like to see this rule relaxed a bit to something like-” Most of the footage should be shot during the contest period. Some older footage is allowed.” No percentage or counting of seconds. I feel this would give us more latitude to tell better stories and make better videos. Lorinda is the final arbiter, however, we are all allowed to express our opinions around here. What do you guys think?

Bill- I love to see those purpose built rigs! I can’t wait to see what you come up with. I have that information about building a borescope that you asked about last round but I haven’t been able to find your e-mail address. E-mail me through the forum and I’ll send it to you. (Or anyone else interested.)

We have a little over a week left. I hope everyone is doing well. I have a rough edit with still lots of work to finish. Let’s hear from some of the folks that haven’t posted recently. Did Dale’s “Plan A” come off? Has the weather cleared in Norway?…

Simon Wood March 22nd, 2012 01:20 PM

I'm out for this one. (Although if we're allowed to start using archive footage then I'm reasonably sure I can scrape a video together *ha-ha*)!

I arrived back in Uganda late last night, though all my bags are in Turkey allegedly (including my beloved new audio recorder, and a number of new toys I bought for future videos including a camera slider).

I had a reasonably good idea, but I was simply unable to find time to capture even 1 shot that was UWOL related.

I really have respect for you guys in the colder parts of the world after doing some family video stuff in Lapland, its a real mission to get enthusiastic about using equipment when its -20*c and the gloves are too big to work the buttons......

However, I look forward to watching everyones videos!

Lorinda Norton March 23rd, 2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus Nord (Post 1722392)
for the story I'm writing, I would need for some shots of a boat wash. But the Local boat wash is not in the water yet, so I can only get shots of it on land. I got some archive shots of it from last summer when it is in the water and a boat is getting washed. Those shots was not taken for UWOL, and the rules say 10% old material, but only if it original for UWOL. It's 10-15 sec, 3-4 shots...

Yes or No?

Okay by me, Markus!

Steve Siegel March 25th, 2012 05:45 PM

Well I guess it's the shark tank for me. I just couldn't get it together for the "Little Things" concept. I'll be interested to see what everyone does with this theme. The silver lining to this cloud is that in trying to shoot some little things, I learned about the photo technique of focus stacking, and have found that it can be adapted to video with some lovely results. Now I have something new to play with for the May-June challenge.

Bill Thesken March 25th, 2012 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My first attempt at the tide pool was no good with the waves at high tide.
The second attempt was at low tide but the sun was directly above and the subject was a little too dark and the sun was glaring in the background.
For the third attempt I went at 9AM this morning with the sun at the quarter mark, and tilted my box a little away from it. I also modified the contraption with tin foil to give it some bounce lighting up towards the subject. The foil worked great, bouncing light up and illuminating the underside of the creature. The footage is epic, however there were a couple of very tiny specks on top of the lens, maybe bits of sand, that takes away from the amazing shot.
I'll either have to go back again tomorrow, or try to garbage matte the specks out.

Trond Saetre March 26th, 2012 11:02 AM

Steve, sorry to hear you're swimming! Be gentle with the sharks, please.

I have had my filming opportunities, and a very rough edit is done.
Even managed to film some living creatures. (or did I... that's the mystery)
Lesson learned: Filming creatures smaller than small is very difficult!

Lorinda Norton March 26th, 2012 04:34 PM

Hey Folks,

Now that I finally found the email password, when you've completed your film, shoot me an email at uwol@dvinfo.net and I will send you the secret info for uploading.

Mick Jenner March 27th, 2012 12:09 PM

Shame, but I will be in that tank again. Good weather here in the UK has set us off on our travels earlier than we first planned. Good luck to all of you, looking forward to watching the entries as and when we are in wifi range

Mick

Dale Guthormsen March 28th, 2012 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well,

I see you are all having fun of sorts!!!!

My original theme has been squashed by weather that wont let me get the shots I need. I have about 20 seconds of useable stuff.

However I have a couple minutes of other footage that is a bit of a stretch for the theme, "the little things".

So I thought I might enter a non competitive two minute wildlife oriented video.

With only a couple days left there are not many options available here, not even flowers or bugs to film!!

Whats the "Bill" quote, "greatest plans of mice and men?"

here is a glimnmner of my footage.

Gordon Hoffman March 29th, 2012 06:40 AM

Hey Dale I suspect you've had weather like I've had, though you may have got more snow. I think you could go alot of ways with this theme and they don't all have to be "little". Anyway I wouldn't sweat the little things!

Gordon

Markus Nord March 31st, 2012 11:04 AM

Hi everyone

I finished my film, but I needed to put in some more archive shots, so its a non competing film from me this round. It's also 4 minutes... I put up a coment thread when the rest of the films go online.