DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#22 - "Spring's Little Things" by Ruth Happel (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/506570-uwol-22-springs-little-things-ruth-happel.html)

Ruth Happel April 1st, 2012 05:09 PM

UWOL#22 - "Spring's Little Things" by Ruth Happel

After so many dives in the shark tank this past year, largely from computer problems, I can finally swim. I definitely followed the rule of having fun. With record warmth a lot of the month, spring happened here way earlier, and lots of new wild actors emerged every day.

Here is the link from Vimeo-

UWOL 22

Geir Inge April 2nd, 2012 09:56 AM

Re: UWOL#22 - "Spring's Little Things" by Ruth Happel

Hello Ruth.
It's so good to have you back in the ring, I have missed you a lot.
Of course I had to watch your video first.
It's so fun to see your contribution. Hearing the voices of the tiny actors.
How you cut it all together into a perfect story, editing, sound and color is perfectly good.
Oh yes, I've missed you and your way of storytelling. In my book of knowledge it's called art.
You are so good at sound creation. Sound is often an underestimated aspect of moviemaking.
Oh yes, I agree. When we summarize, it's the little things that count.
By the way, is it you climbing the cliff?
So many creatures you show in this little short, I love them all.
Spring is a wonderful time and I wish all the best for you, Ruth.
You are definitely a swimmer!

Geir Inge

Gordon Hoffman April 2nd, 2012 11:00 AM

Hi Ruth
I have to agree with Geir Inge. I remember earlier uwol contests that you entered and how you can come up with a creative story to go along with your shots. Well done.

Gordon

Ruth Happel April 2nd, 2012 09:40 PM

Geir, I missed being part of UWOL, so it is great to finally finish and be back in the swim of things. Yes, that is me climbing the hill and then the cliff. I have always liked how you appear in many of your videos but up to now I haven't done that, so figured it is time to be part of the film!

Gordon, Thanks for your kind comments, I am glad you appreciated the story.

Mike Sims April 3rd, 2012 10:38 AM

Hi Ruth! Everyone’s doing funny voices this round and here I am just trying to figure out how to make my voice sound less funny… I watched your video again first thing this morning so I could start the day off with a smile. You have a wonderful sense of humor as well as nice images and great editing. The timing of the voice-over and editing is impeccable. We can all learn a lot from studying this video. Good show!

Please don’t forget to send the information about the ant microphone (see my thread). I have some Camponotus I’d like to interview!

Markus Nord April 3rd, 2012 01:01 PM

Nice one Ruth... well done!
You put a smile one my face :D
I'm planing a film production with a lot of different voices, so this was nice to study.

Ruth Happel April 3rd, 2012 02:07 PM

Mike- I generally used very small lavalier mics to record insects, wrapping them in saran wrap to protect them before putting them down ant holes and things like that. I also experimented with PZM mics. But if I was going to get a new mic, I would recommend the Sanken one that was first available in 1999. It was informally called “Insect Mic” (MO-64). They say "It can pick up sound of ants’ footsteps or heart beat of snail." I am sure the Camponotus will have a lot to say, I tend to find them very chatty :)

Ruth Happel April 3rd, 2012 02:08 PM

Markus, thanks for the kind comments. And good luck with your film involving lots of voices. I find it is easiest to separate them out in editing so each gets a track, that way you can easily slide them around relative to each other, and play with relative volume more easily.

Bill Thesken April 3rd, 2012 11:46 PM

Ruth - Absolutely enchanting. Where did Sue Donim get such a splendid accent? What timing, and layers of truth and comedy intermingled with incredible nature. And did you come up with the script and then edit to the visual, or visa versa or a combo? Well that certainly brought a smile, and a well deserved applause.

Ruth Happel April 4th, 2012 06:43 PM

Bill, thanks for the comments. The script was a hybrid of both editing from the concept with the available footage, and also using footage to inspire spontaneous narration. As you can tell, my collaborator Sue Donim is very creative and likes to intersperse nature facts with humor.

Lorinda Norton April 4th, 2012 11:20 PM

Hi Ruth--it's so good to have you back! You did it again, entertaining us with a sprightly little romp through nature. :)

Along with a couple of the other guys I'm having to smile at how many of the films this round used first person voicing for telling the stories of the little things. And I'm glad! Being a bit of an old kid I enjoy it very much, and your entry is certainly no exception to that. You sure found a large variety of characters and scenery--beautiful images!

Say, I hope I thanked you properly for allowing me to show some of your work at our childrens movie day several years ago. As expected, they loved your films! Thanks again!

Owen Dawe April 5th, 2012 01:31 AM

Sue Donim did a professional job narrating a very professional entry. It is scenic with a good variety of wide and close shots all very well executed. Thank you for showing me in a delightful way your neck of the woods and the small creatures that live there. Well done and technically pleasing.

Ruth Happel April 5th, 2012 09:24 AM

Lorinda, thanks for your comments. Yes, I remember you showed some of my short films at the children's movie day. You thanked me then, thanks for thanking me again- let me know if you think of any other ways to use thanks in a sentence!! I am glad to hear they enjoyed them.

Owen, I'm glad you enjoyed the film. Since spring happened so quickly here, it was possible to film many more animals than usual for this time of year.

Mike Sims April 5th, 2012 10:28 AM

Thanks Ruth. I'll be sure to tell the ants you said hello!

Trond Saetre April 12th, 2012 05:27 AM

Hi Ruth, welcome back my friend! You have been missed!!

Thank you for bringing a big smile to my face as I watched your film.
You know how to bring humor into everything. Keep doing that!

It's nice that you could find so many different species and include them all into one film, and still have a good story.