White Spotted Sea Cucumber at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 2nd, 2012, 01:30 PM   #1
Major Player

White Spotted Sea Cucumber

I haven't had the time to upload the video to my Vimeo account so that I could embed it into this comment thread, here is the link instead:

I was thinking about making a comedy, but it turned into a straightforward project.
It took about 18 hours to put this together, I didn't originally plan on that scenario, but once I got into the project I found I needed more and more time lapses which take.. time. Plus the creature I decided to film lives in a semi wild setting, with waves and tides that move the camera and the box I made, sand would get on the lens without me knowing till viewing the footage, and the creature itself wouldn't crawl directly over the camera as I wanted. The great thing about these challenges is it gives you a reason to get out and film something, anything, and you have a deadline to put together a real movie that people around the world actually watch and comment on. I did learn some new tricks, I finally got my voice over to go smooth and without audio hiss, and it's always fun to devise 'contraptions'. The box I amended to film the underside of the creature is still a work in progress, I put the tin foil to reflect light upwards which was a big improvement, but then yesterday I had an idea that I could tape glow sticks onto the foil which would reflect even more light upwards. It's possible that this little challenge has nudged me towards at least a half hour program on some of the critters that inhabit a tide pool.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:22 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: White Spotted Sea Cucumber

This was a very educational video. I learned a lot about sea cucumbers. You were creative both in the footage, and in how you met the challenges of obtaining it. I am glad you did time lapse footage, since it would have been hard for us to watch in real time to observe the behavior without spending several hours! You should definitely do a longer video with more of the tide pool creatures.

Ruth
Old April 3rd, 2012, 01:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Good job Bill!
Nice to see some more UW films in the UWOL... the time lapse was good and important to. I think, to keep the audience.
It's nice to see a story about a “boring” animal like the sea cucumber.
When you move the camera in the time lapse sequence, I would suggest you to move it more, to get a different angle and do a cut in the editing. It was some jerk between the first to cuts that you could have left out. Same thing about you hand...
over all... nice one Bill!
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 09:38 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Bill. Did you do something different with the audio this time? It sounds great. I like the way you used the time lapse to turn a creature that most would pass by as inanimate into an action hero. Your GoPro in a box is one of those good ideas that can be applied to many other critters like snails, limpets, chitons, urchins, anemones… I think you really should make a longer tide pool video!
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Bill
The audio was the first thing that I really noticed and which I thought was really good. I can see where timelapse would have to be used for this one. The one thing I noticed and was already mentioned was the shot with your hand in it. I enjoyed watching and learning about something I never get to see and your use of some creative camera work. Well done.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 02:05 AM   #6
Wrangler

I must say that I laugh just thinking about what you may have been thinking when considering making this a comedy. :)

Your contraptions worked really well! Even without your later brainstorm of using glow sticks, your foil reflector solution for shooting the underside of the sea cucumber served you just fine--and was a great idea.

A highly educational film, well-researched (unless guys like you and Mike already know all this stuff off the tops of your heads), and very well produced. Go for the 30 minute program, Bill!!
Old April 4th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #7
Trustee

Hello Bill.

Very well done, this one.
This was an informative and enlightening film. Timelapses are good.
Can I ask what you used to film the cucumbers from the bottom up?
Totally amazing to see it from underneath.
I admire your knowledge and skills in this movie. I have learned a lot.

Thank you for sharing.

All the best.
Geir Inge
Old April 4th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #8
Major Player

Hello Bill,

A great result in the most difficult zone on earth for a creature to live in. That is between high tide and low tide. A zone where creatures endure a life in the blinding hot sun, then a pounding by surf to finally submerged in salt water. It reminded me of my childhood by the sea. Many a weekend spent at lowtide exploring rock pools and the abundant life within.

The shot at the beginning superb when we were taken from our enviroment to that of the sea cucumber. The time lapse really bought this 2ft. per hour 'slug' alive. Well researched, well produced. The zone between high and low tide a challenge for a videographer as well. Thank you for allowing me to put my head under water getting a glimpse of that under water vacuum cleaner.

Thank you,
Owen.
Old April 7th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks for the comments.
Markus & Gordon, I wondered if I should edit out the flash of my hand, but decided to leave it
in for 'perspective'. I may take it out for a longer version in the future.
Lorinda, I just research these animals as I go for each video. It's fun to learn, and to have a 'reason' to learn.
Mike, for the audio, it was one take, Sennheiser MD-46, XHA1, and I just turned the volume down enough till I couldn't hear any hiss and that was it. That camera has so many buttons for audio, but maybe there's hope yet for my voice overs if I can duplicate it.
Geir, here is the 'box'. I'm going to re-rig this with glow sticks and see how the footage compares.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachme...2-dscn0022.jpg
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:41 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Bill,

If we ever have an uwol get together like we talked about a few years ago, it should be on Hawaii! You have an amazing scenery over there. Amazing opening and closing shots!

I like that you have an underwater film. It's facinating, and especially since you use some uncommon camera angles, like from below.
Keep up your good work, and thank you for always teaching me something new.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Bill,

what a nice short video!! I neveer heard of them before and now I know something new, much appreciated!!

Curiously, flips, go pro and such always seem to shoot awful bright images, did you have to reduce gamma or anything, or did the water act kind of like a filter? I really liked the footage of it climbing over the lens, some pretty amazing footage!! thank you so much for sharing.
Old April 17th, 2012, 11:57 PM   #12
Major Player

Dale, I had to double check the project before answering. I only did a little color correction on the time lapse footage from underneath the Sea Cucumber. All the other footage is straight from the camera. It came out really clear and nice so I left it as it was. I think with the right medium lighting that camera does fine.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge