Tales of the Wonders and Woes - UWOL 23 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 7th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Tales of the Wonders and Woes - UWOL 23

First of all, rule 11 should be strictly followed, but if you can't... make sure you have fun anyway! :)

What goes well, what goes not exactly as planned... here is the place to tell all about it.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Tales of the Wonders and Woes - UWOL 23

Well, almost a week in and I’m still struggling to come up with a workable idea. It sure is quiet around here. Is anyone else having trouble getting started?
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Major Player

Well I have a basic working idea in place; insofar as I know where my force of nature is located. However I kind of want to wrap a human story around the subject, which is proving to be the difficult part.

I'm going up country for a recce this Tuesday, if all goes well then I will be aiming to shoot the week after.

Hope everyone else's ideas are working out. I reckon this could be a real interesting challenge.

Thinking of taking some behind the scenes photos and stuff for this project (as we will be going to some interesting places). Are we allowed to post behind the scenes stuff, or will that be contrary to the competition?
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Trustee

I've thought up a few ideas and discarded all but one. Trying to come up with something that's not too predictable. Hopefully I have something that not too many people thought of. I guess we'll see if I can finish this time around.
Now I need to figure out if I can make a story out of it.
Old June 10th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sims View Post
Well, almost a week in and I’m still struggling to come up with a workable idea. It sure is quiet around here. Is anyone else having trouble getting started?
Creator's block! Used to happen to me in the DV Challenge quite a bit. Then one day I would be in the shower (always the shower!) and a pretty decent idea would hit...with not enough time to pull it off. Hoping your idea comes to you soon. Maybe take lots of showers today. :)
Old June 10th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Hi Mike, I'm still searching for a volcano ;-)
Old June 10th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Trustee

Don't over think it Mike. The first thing I did was eliminate what most people would say are forces of nature, earthquakes, tornados, volcanoes etc. It's just not going to happen. There are plenty of things that could be considered a force of nature that everyone has access to.

One of my ideas that I discarded because I shoot too much of it already is water. It carved the Grand Canyon, can sprout a giant redwood seed and can wipe whole cities off the map. If you think about water for a while you can come up with all kinds of ideas that are probably local that you can film.

While water is probably still a fairly common idea I've thought of a few others that are more obscure.

Still don't know how I'm going to shoot my current idea, not even sure if I can make a story out of it but I guess that's where the challenge is. :)
Old June 10th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks guys, I’ll try not to over think it in the shower! It would be nice if I can find more than five minutes at a time to even think about it.

Simon- We would love to see your behind the scenes stills (or even vids). That’s one of the things this thread is here for.

Geir Inge- There is a volcano less than an hour’s drive from my house. I’d be glad to shoot over and send you some footage. Unfortunately it hasn’t been very active for the past hundred million years! (On second thought, since I live so close perhaps it is fortunate.)

Kevin- Here’s hoping you can pull it off. We’ve all been looking forward to one of your videos for a while.
Old June 11th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #9
Major Player

Drats... I've only got a bathtub.
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 08:12 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Hoffman View Post
Drats... I've only got a bathtub.
Only got a bathtub...and you live in a Creek?!

A quick internet search reveals you are just East of the Canadian Rockies, just North of the Waterton Lakes National Park (glacial no less), exposed to the relentless Chinook Winds (177km no less) so much so that you're surrounded by Wind Farms.

Dude, you've got so many forces of nature blowing around you that you can't see the forest for trees.....

I expect great things from you this round!
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:26 AM   #11
Trustee

My biggest problem has and continues to be is that when I think of an idea, it comes to me as a shot. I'm like OMG this shot would be so effin amazing!! Then I have to figure out how to build the rest of the film around it.

Same situation this round, I have one shot that I thought of that I love. Next step for me at least in the convoluted process I follow is to see if I can find some music that will go with that shot.once I do that then I have to figure out how to build the rest of the story and shoot footage to support it.
Old June 11th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #12
Inner Circle

As many of you, some ideas have passed by, but I did film some B-roll footage this weekend.
Didn't have any specific plan, just thought "this might be useful for something" as I walked by...
Hopefully an idea that will fit in drops by soon.
Hmm, maybe Kevin and I think the same way this time...
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 06:28 AM   #13
Major Player

OK, I’ve finally got an idea that might work. It came to me while I was asleep, so I hope I’m not just dreaming!
Old June 12th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
OK, I’ve finally got an idea that might work. It came to me while I was asleep, so I hope I’m not just dreaming!
Haha, that was a good one and I hope your dream will come true Mike :)
I have a plan but not enough time until 25 june and I need good weather to make my dream come true ;-)
Old June 12th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post

Dude, you've got so many forces of nature blowing around you that you can't see the forest for trees.....

I expect great things from you this round!

Well that makes it pretty obvious that I'm creatively challenged. : )
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge