Tales of Wonders and Woes - UWOL 24 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 4th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Tales of Wonders and Woes - UWOL 24

You know the drill, guys and girls.
The good, the bad and everything in between about your progress with uwol 24.
Sharing is gold :)

Remember to follow rule 11 at all times!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Tales of Wonders and Woes - UWOL 24

Well, I have an idea I like and a rough script. Now it’s a matter of figuring out whether or not I’ll be able to shoot this thing. (A word of free advice- Don’t ever agree to be an expert witness in a trial. You might as well just paint a target on your back and throw your schedule in the trash.) I guess I’d better start thinking about a Plan B, just in case.

I hope all of you are doing well. Let’s hear from you folks!

Last edited by Mike Sims; September 7th, 2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Accursed word processor changed a word.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I had an idea, and went out today to shoot... Just to find out there was a triathlon for kids on that location. The start/finish line and a lot of comments from their speaker system 50 meters from where I was supposed to have my camera was no good.
Hopefully I get an opportunity for another attempt, or else... over to plan B, whatever that might be.
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sims View Post
Well, I have an idea I like and a rough script. Now it’s a matter of figuring out whether or not I’ll be able to shoot this thing. (A word of free advice- Don’t ever agree to be an expert witness in a trial. You might as well just paint a target on your back and throw your schedule in the trash.) I guess I’d better start thinking about a Plan B, just in case.
LOL - Well, since I am not an expert in anything this isn't a concern. :) Hoping you get to shoot Plan A!
Old September 10th, 2012, 07:27 AM   #5
Major Player

I think everyone is an expert. We all just have varying levels of expertise in various matters. I have had to reluctantly abandon Plan A. I was hoping to leave this morning on the nine hour drive to my location and spend this week there but another one of these “let’s get together and hold hands and waste time” meetings has cropped up and ruined that idea. Additionally it is getting harder for me to travel as my father’s Parkinson’s progresses because before I leave I have to find someone willing to assume my role as caregiver. That means more than one person’s schedule is involved in any change. As Trond said-”over to plan B, whatever that might be”. I keep telling myself that there is just as good a story right here under my nose but thus far I haven’t found it. For UC24 I am back at square one. I will likely shoot the original story at some point because I really like it, I have done the research, written a script, put together a shot list etc.- possibly for a future Challenge?

This thread sure has been quiet this round. I wonder if everyone is busy watching the DVC videos or just avoiding any interactions.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #6
Major Player

I was out shooting today... Got a few minute I can edit... Now I'lll write a VO and I'll also do an interview of my self for this film. It will be a film about what I'm doing in my "day job", and how I work with school kids.
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Mike, sad to hear about your dad.
Hope we both come up with a plan B. Still plenty time until deadline. (and who knows, maybe it will stop raining too. Must be optimistic, right)
Been out scouting locations for a possibly plan B, while the rain has been pouring down. Fun!
Old September 11th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #8
Trustee

I have an idea. No idea though on how to convert it into a story or how to convey that story with the resources I have or the time I have left.
Really just need to have some uninterrupted time to focus on the idea and see if I can piece something together.
Old September 13th, 2012, 06:55 AM   #9
Major Player

Ho Hell. what am I doing. Just signed up. Got the idea. The age old problem of finding actors and crew to help that will turn up. Its going to be fun.
Mark Hartopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #10
Wrangler

Glad you're here, Mark! Looking forward to another entry from you in less than a month! :)
Old September 13th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #11
Major Player

Well I got a glimmer of an idea last week...but I just found out I won't have this weekend, which only leaves me next weekend to get to my location...(wedding the following weekend and a cycle trip the weekend after)

So were do I find this elusive plan B?

And, using a GH2 with old Canon primes is way different than using an HMC-150... ;)
Bob Thieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Rain, rain, and tons of more rain. I think the weather gods must be doing some jokes, giving us all this water.
Maybe I should film how my camera interact with the wet element? Probably the answer would be "not good".

Good luck everyone!
Film is FUN! :)
Old September 15th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #13
Trustee

Well, half of the month is gone and to be true I have no idea of what to shoot! Been quite busy and will still have to do some work until the beginning of next weekend. Then I have some days off.

But I must get some ideas what and how to shoot. Right now my head is empty %)
Old September 15th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #14
Wrangler

Hang in there, Per Johan! You will find inspiration!

Here I thought this theme was so wide open it would be one that every player would be able to complete in the month-long timeframe. But sometimes it's harder to take such a broad word and think of a compelling story using the interaction between earth and sky, man and his surroundings, animals with other animals or their habitat--just to name a few obvious applications.

Hoping those of you who have come up empty so far will be able to hit upon an idea soon and find the time/favorable conditions, to shoot it! Love to see 100% completion this round!!
Old September 15th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #15
Trustee

Refining my idea a bit more. A few more pieces are starting to take shape. Hopefully I'll have time to film everything!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge