DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #24 | Why I Love This | by Markus Nord (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/511129-uwol-24-why-i-love-markus-nord.html)

Markus Nord October 3rd, 2012 12:06 AM

UWOL #24 | Why I Love This | by Markus Nord

Titel: Why I Love This?

I have had an idea to shot a film about this project for a couple of years now, but it hard to shot a film about yourself at the same time you are teaching. But now I finally did it… I just hope it didn’t turn out to be too cheese…
But I really needed this film for some upcoming founding applications, to show what it is all about.

The gear used:
5DIII
7D
Samyang 8/3.5
Sigma 20/1.8
Canon 70-200/4
Ikelite housing for 7D
1.5m rail
Marshall monitor for viewing myself during interview
Edited in Edius 6 on a 1920x800 timeline to give it a bit more edge

I hope you enjoy!

Trond Saetre October 3rd, 2012 10:12 AM

Re: UWOL #24 | Why I Love This | by Markus Nord

Hei Markus,

What an amazing place you have there. You do a great job teaching people about the nature in your area.
Really interesting to watch your film and hear your story. It is hard to be both in front and behind the camera at the same time, but I think it worked out well for you.
The wide format was a good choice.

Simon Wood October 4th, 2012 08:19 AM

Nice video Markus. I'm sure it must have been a bit awkward to interview yourself; but you pulled it off well and you have a good screen presence. The images are nice, sharp and vibrant. The audio came out nice and clear (especially that there was a lot of wind judging by the grass in the background)!

Was the Samyang 8/3.5 used for the underwater shots? How are those Samyangs working out for you (I'm looking at getting a set of the cinevised ones)?

Looks like you're doing a good job up there on the Baltic; keep it up.

Finn-Erik Faale October 5th, 2012 02:39 AM

Managing the technical with camera and sound and at the same time acting in front of the camera-lens is not easy.
I think you have made it good. You also behave well, speaking English,
in front of the camera. I specially like the wide shots from the ground.

Paul Wood October 5th, 2012 06:05 AM

A very polished work, Markus,
I was drawn along with your enthusiasm, and the visual shots nicely illustrated the story.

Markus Nord October 5th, 2012 06:55 AM

Thanks every one of you comment and for watching!

Trond – Thanks Trond, yes the “acting” is hard when you trying to keep track of sound, framing etc.

Simon – Thank you Simon, it is a bit awkward to di a self-interview, but the best is that the answer is really good! ;)
Except that I recorded it a bit hot, my sennheiser EW112 G1 still do a good job, I’m very pleased with them.
Yes, the 8 was used for UW… I also got the 14 and 35. I’m happy with them… the only downside with the 8 is that it got a not so got close focus (0,3m) and on a fish eye 8mm that distance looks like miles away. I will get the 85 and 24 too, but first I’ll try to declick my 35, if that works out ok, I probably won’t wait for the Cine ones (please Samyang, give us a 50/1.4 too!!!)

Finn-Erik – Thanks F-E, you always think your English is not good enough… you just need to accept what it is… but it was a lot harder to be in front of the lens speaking English than to record a VO.

Paul – thank you Paul! Thank the film was not that cheese then ;)
I hope my film was not too much of an ego trip…

Thanks again, this community is the best!
Cheers

Toni Dolce October 5th, 2012 09:18 AM

Hi Markus,

This was a great video and has a lot of commercial appeal.

The first segment reminded me a little bit like a political or pharmaceutical commercial with the great slider shots, crystal clear focus, and great exposure. I am hoping for a slider under the tree this year for Christmas, any recommendations?

You already addressed the fact that the sound was a little hot- that would be my only critique on this cool video!

I love it when a business person is also creative. I had to rewatch to get the fact that you were the speaker!

Toni

Mike Sims October 5th, 2012 10:33 AM

Hi Markus. I think you have the best over-all production value this round. The sound problem is easy to do when you are in front of the camera instead of behind it with headphones. While noticeable, I think it is quickly forgotten because your story is so compelling. I very much hope that using the video to pitch for funding is successful because this is obviously a worthwhile program. I hope it is so successful that in a while you can franchise the education program in coastal cities worldwide (let’s think big here!). Good-luck!

Ruth Happel October 5th, 2012 09:47 PM

Markus,

This is a really nice combination of education and entertainment. I was fascinated to learn of your educational program, and hope this film helps you get more funding for an obviously worthwhile project. It was also great to see more footage from you of the amazing waters near your home.

I thought you did an excellent job as narrator, you are a natural! Although the sound was a bit hot, as you noted, all the other elements of the film distracted enough it was hardly noticeable.

Good luck getting more money to continue this great program!

Ruth

Markus Nord October 6th, 2012 08:31 AM

Toni - pharmaceutical commercial? Oh dear... Political, well it was a political standpoint. I'm sick of the neglecting of our marine environment!
About a slider, well I got a 1.5m rail and dolly, to something I would have chosen today... I probably would go for a 3 ft or 1m slider today. One that I could fit to the top of one tripod, the one I got today need two tripods... Not so god in a wildlife film situation. With a shot, 60cm/2ft then you could have the slider on the tripps all the time...

Mike - My first goal is to get this program up around the Baltic Sea, it's 9 countrys around here... Sure i would like to get this program up globally... I think that setting it up around turism areas, to get money from Turism to finance the program for local people, to give them the understanding of protecting the ecosystem, with get them more money in the end.

Ruth - I'll do some tweaks, probably re record the interview (and also one in Swedish). I'll probably edit one longer piece too. I think that this type of film is new to use as a combo for founding applications... Hope that will give it a better edge.

Thank you every one for watching and commenting.
Cheers

Bill Thesken October 6th, 2012 02:46 PM

Awesome as usual Markus, makes me want to dust off the mask and snorkel and head to the sea.
Were you using bounce lighting on the head shots?

Markus Nord October 6th, 2012 03:55 PM

Hi Bill, yes I was using a bouncer... A 1m gold/silver, to balance the light a bit.
You should dust off your mask and snorkel! I would love to be there with you in your sea...
Thanks for watching.

Andrew Bove October 6th, 2012 05:19 PM

The US is one of few countries where it is actually legal to advertise pharmaceuticals to the general public. The ads usually feature good looking shots of nice people speaking to the camera, soothing music, and nature scenes. Your film does share some similarities! Check one out here: Lipitor Medication 2010 Commercial - YouTube

Your video makes me want to come to the Baltic sea and go snorkeling with you, so I consider it a success, well done!

An easy fix to perfect the sound might be to just use a wired lav mic? The little distortion we hear may be the RF transmitter. That interview was stationary, so a wired mic might do the trick nicely.

The golden light in the interview shots was really nice, I enjoyed watching!

Geir Inge October 7th, 2012 12:52 PM

It's great what you do for these children, educate them in environmental issues.
Your video is enlightening, with varied and fine recordings.
The interview is good. Perhaps input volume on the camera was too high during recording?
Great colors, good editing and a nice sound mix.
I understand why you love this work. Well done Markus.

Thank you for sharing your Baltic Sea with us.

Markus Nord October 7th, 2012 02:26 PM

Andrew - Thanks Andrew, I'll look in to a wired mic, they are not that expensive... But this time, I don't think it was the transmission, it was the audio setting too high in the camera. I did a mic check and it looked OK, but I'll probably started talking louder. That's something a se a lot, and Ialmost every time need to lower the level a bit after the person I interview start talking, but this time I could em check the level...

That commercial looks a bit scary... We got some pharmacist commercial here too, but most it for different vitamins and so on...

I did hold the reflector in one hand at the same time, so I just hoped that the light did look OK, after a quick test it looked OK on the monitor...

Geir Inge - thanks for commenting... I think you are correct about the level.
I'll keep you all informed if we get the founding that we hope for.

Thanks for watching
Cheers