DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 25 Theme Announcement (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/514685-uwol-25-theme-announcement.html)

Lorinda Norton March 1st, 2013 09:21 AM

UWOL 25 Theme Announcement

On your mark!

DV Info Net head guy Chris Hurd is offering DVi-branded swag to each one of you who completes an entry, and he’s also giving a $100 gift card to the winner, $50 gift card to the runner up! But I know you guys…you want that swag!!

Get set!

This theme has many possibilities, just one of which is the hope that you will stretch yourselves beyond what you may normally shoot. The possibilities won’t be mentioned here, but if you have ANY trouble with the theme, shoot an email my way and I will gladly offer some options.

GO!!!

The theme: EXPANDING HORIZONS.

Mike Sims March 1st, 2013 09:31 AM

Re: UWOL 25 Theme Announcement

Thank-you, Lorinda, for another great theme with many possibilities. Good-luck all!

Trond Saetre March 1st, 2013 09:54 AM

Wohoo! Great theme!

Marj Atkins March 1st, 2013 10:01 AM

Thanks Lorinda - a theme as wide as the horizon.

Looks like we are going to see new places and do new things this round!! Love it.

David Elkins March 1st, 2013 12:14 PM

Hmmm, interesting. Very interesting.

Dale Guthormsen March 1st, 2013 12:39 PM

Going to have think on that one!!! Doooo.

Bill Thesken March 1st, 2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton (Post 1781817)
On your mark!

DV Info Net head guy Chris Hurd is offering DVi-branded swag to each one of you who completes an entry, .

I had to look up the meaning:

Per Wikipedia:
Swag (bedroll), an Australian bedroll
-----

This could be very useful for the outdoor photographer.
Think about it.
How many times have you been filming on a rocky shoreline or mountain and needed
to lay out for a bit of a rest, but it was too...rocky.
With a swag you can roll it out and be living like a king no matter what the conditions.

Mike Sims March 1st, 2013 03:53 PM

...and then you could be a "jolly swag-man..." :)

Kevin Railsback March 1st, 2013 09:46 PM

Will certainly be interesting since Iowa is in that ugly in-between seasons state right now.
Wonder if I can come up with something outside the box? Might have to spend some time with the thinking cap on for this one.

Geir Inge March 2nd, 2013 04:05 AM

Challenging theme with many opportunities I would think :)
Thanks Lorinda, for the job you do in Uwol
and at the same time gives us the challenge to broaden our horizons.
Good luck everyone and may the force be with you.

Marj Atkins March 2nd, 2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Thesken (Post 1781908)
I had to look up the meaning:

Per Wikipedia:
Swag (bedroll), an Australian bedroll
-----

This could be very useful for the outdoor photographer.
Think about it.
How many times have you been filming on a rocky shoreline or mountain and needed
to lay out for a bit of a rest, but it was too...rocky.
With a swag you can roll it out and be living like a king no matter what the conditions.

Nope - no comfy photogaraphers here - that's only one meaning.... unless the swag is a swag of course.

Swag: "Promotional items, especially when given for free, considered as a group" (thefreedictionary.com).

Chris Hurd March 2nd, 2013 07:20 AM

Yes to Marj, in this case it's the J.R.R. Tolkein definition of the term: swag = loot.

Marj Atkins March 4th, 2013 10:16 AM

Lorinda

I have a couple of ideas rattling around in my head but I just want to make sure that I understand this theme correctly:

In literal, pictorial terms 'expanding the horizon' means moving backwards or zooming out (photography) in order to get the bigger picture.

Or another example can be seen when climbing a steep hill. At first the landscape is dominated by the mountain you are climbing but when you reach the top you suddenly see the wider landscape; the broader context.

Figuratively it means to experience and learn new things. e.g. Read more! Travel! Go out and expand your horizons! (freedictionary.com)

So, am I correct in thinking we can basically choose any subject as long as we describe it within its broader context or environment? Additionally as you said, we should also choose something different from what we would normally do or approach it from a different angle from what we would normally do. In so doing, we not only expand our own horizons but hopefully give the viewer something new to learn. Alternatively our subject itself could learn something new – like a young animal or fledgling might.

Many thanks
Marj

Lorinda Norton March 4th, 2013 10:40 AM

That's about it, Marj! Thanks! Very thoughtful, and better than I would have said. I also got validation for the theme when I found a blog called Pushing My Horizon, by David Berlew Jr. He put into words an aspect that had been "rattling around in my head" but would have never formulated. I won't quote it here so I don't risk stepping on someone's grand idea, but anyone interested in reading it can find it in a search online.

Marj Atkins March 4th, 2013 11:55 AM

Thanks Lorinda. And wow, that concept of 'expanding one's horizon' has very interesting possibilities!