DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Tales of wonders and woes - UC25 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/514686-tales-wonders-woes-uc25.html)

Chris Barcellos March 26th, 2013 04:57 PM

Re: Tales of wonders and woes - UC25

Nothing like test shooting of a new camera to wreck your shooting and editing plans I started this out shooting with my old HV30, capturing to my Black Magic Hyperdeck Shuttle 2. I figured that given horizons was the subject, I could probably get better resolution through that combination, though my Sony VG20 would also work quite well. In the middle of the shooting, I get word from Allan Barnwell at Omega Broadcast that my preordered Black Magic Cinema Camera was going to ship. It arrived here on Thursday, and I decided I need to shoot some footage for this project with it, so I have been learning the ropes. Well at least I will be able to give the UWOLer's an idea about whether the camera is going to work in nature documentary projects.

Simon Wood March 29th, 2013 03:49 AM

Ugh.

I have managed to film everything, but I shot way too much footage (most of it is of no use, but a few good nuggets here and there). However I cant find enough time to go through it all to sort the wheat from the chaff, and to synch all the audio, as I have a million other things competing for my time.

I doubt I'll have an edit ready in time for the deadline, but might try to post a non-competitive entry later on.

Paul Wood March 29th, 2013 04:21 AM

Well, here things are looking tight too - in cricketing terms ´rain stopped play´

I'm having to rethink my story as i'm still missing some key footage, but with luck I can manage to pull something out of the hat, and submit something on time.

good luck for the run to the post, folks!

Per Johan Naesje March 29th, 2013 07:38 AM

I´m afraid that I will not be able to get any this round, as I have been to bed with a flu the last days. Tomorrow I have to go back to work, so there is no time for a plan B!

Mike Sims March 29th, 2013 04:19 PM

Well, they say March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb. For me UC25 started with a definite lack of Rule 11 and is ending with an abundance. I have had a lot of fun putting this one together. I’m close enough to finished now that I am sure I will finish. I wasn’t at all sure just as late as yesterday.

Per Johan- I’m sorry to hear you are ill. I guess I was lucky I got sick early in the month and had time to recover from it. I hope you are well soon and we see you here next time. Take care.

Trond- How is your back? Are you able to proceed with your video? I hope you are well.

Simon- I’m looking forward to seeing your video whenever it is finished. I’m still hoping you get in before the deadline.

Chris- Great news! You’ve been waiting for the new camera for a long time- congratulations that it has arrived. I think we’re all waiting to see the footage.

Marj- I have also had to cut a great deal from my story and really simplify much of what remains. Maybe we should think about a future contest that say runs for three months and has a ten minute or so limit. A longer time frame might also make up for the seasonal differences like now when I’m in Spring, you’re in Autumn and almost everyone else is in Winter.

Lorinda- The comet shot was taken with a Canon T2i with 28mm f/1.8 lens. It was four seconds at f/8 and ISO 800. The shot is looking into the sunset through the smog and light pollution of the big city. This comet proved to be a little bit of a disappointment but one is coming this Fall that might be exciting. It is expected to be the brightest comet anyone now alive will have ever seen and at it’s brightest may even be visible in daylight. Search for Comet ISON for details.

I hope everyone we haven’t heard from lately is doing well. One more weekend left. Time for the big push so we can get as many finished videos for UC25 as possible. Best wishes and good-luck to all!

Chris Barcellos March 29th, 2013 06:07 PM

Lorinda, I sent you a PM. I don't have direct upload instructions. I did send a link to an upload on my own Vimeo account, but I am finding that the color correction was a bit off, and I wanted to upload a better version to the UWOL account. Can you send me link and upload information, please.

Trond Saetre March 30th, 2013 12:47 AM

Mike, thanks. My back is behaving well again. :)

Filmed a little of my plan A. Still need a lot to make it worth watching, so hopefully I can get what I need today or tomorrow. (Last chance for me to get footage).

I have also invested in a DJI Phantom quadcopter and a GoPro hero 3 camera, just like Geir Inge has.
What a great platform for aerial filming. (entry / intermediate level).
Been playing around with it the last couple days. But I am not sure if any of this will be included in my film this time.

Simon Wood March 30th, 2013 08:11 AM

Ok. I decided to get this done and pulled an all-nighter. Trying to pace the edit to any music in my library was an issue, so I learned how to use Garage Band really quickly and made a quick tune to match the edit (a simple tune that only uses percussion and bass - but I think it worked out ok for a first attempt).

Its not the greatest edit I have ever done, and perhaps I will correct some issues later on, but it should suffice given that I have run out of time.

So long as my internet cooperates I'll have it uploaded today.

Chris Barcellos March 30th, 2013 02:52 PM

Did anyone get emailed the upload information ? I did not, and I haven't heard from Lorinda in response to posts, private email, or PM's. Can someone send me a PM with instructions and password so I can upload to DVinfor vimeo.

Lorinda Norton March 30th, 2013 03:05 PM

Way to grit your teeth and get these finished, guys! I'm sure they will be great.

Got a reply sent to Chris. When you are ready to upload send me a message and I'll give you the secret codes. :)

Chris Barcellos March 30th, 2013 05:32 PM

Got mine uploaded, thanks Lorinda.

Trond Saetre March 31st, 2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton (Post 1787622)
When you are ready to upload send me a message and I'll give you the secret codes. :)

How about (for future challenges) the challenge organizer send a mail with the codes, say a week or a couple days before the deadline, to all the players? Wouldn't that be easier for the challenge organizer? This is how it was done earlier.

Marj Atkins March 31st, 2013 12:31 PM

My film is ready for uploading. The SEACOM cable along the African coast was broken by a ship dragging its anchor across it (and other cables) in the Mediterranean. Internet is slooow so need to upload sooner rather than later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Sims (Post 1787435)
Marj- I have also had to cut a great deal from my story and really simplify much of what remains. Maybe we should think about a future contest that say runs for three months and has a ten minute or so limit. A longer time frame might also make up for the seasonal differences like now when I’m in Spring, you’re in Autumn and almost everyone else is in Winter.

Ha ha Mike give us a ten-minute film to do and I will have exactly the same problem!! Not sure I would like to do a ten minute film though – sounds too much like hard work to me. I think three minutes is perfect, especially for the working folk, even though I did go over three minutes with this film. Anyway it is something to consider for the future.

Glad you managed to get your film done after all Simon. Hope there will be lots of films up this time round!

Lorinda Norton March 31st, 2013 10:59 PM

My apologies for making many of you wait for replies! When my son comes home nothing else in the world exists. Hoping everyone who has needed Vimeo access thus far has received it, and tomorrow I'll do a better job of checking ALL email accounts.

Remember, you have until 11:59 p.m. your time, April 2!

Bob Thieda April 1st, 2013 03:50 PM

Well if anyone had asked me last night, I'd have said I was in the shark tank....nothing but bad footage, no time and no idea what to do....
But I had to come home early today from work and I eventually got a little time to spend with the challenge and bingo....
I am rendering....

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8239/8...78fed421_c.jpg
Rendering Video by baatfam, on Flickr