DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Uwol #25 - Pioneers - Marj Atkins (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/515554-uwol-25-pioneers-marj-atkins.html)

Marj Atkins April 3rd, 2013 12:10 PM

Uwol #25 - Pioneers - Marj Atkins

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to accompany Tom on one of his business trips to Cape Town in March and looked forward to the change of scenery for this challenge. Knowing Cape Town though, I wasn’t sure if we would get decent weather so I had to have a back-up plan in case. I filmed quite a lot in around my home turf before my trip.

Happily the weather was beautiful – only one misty, rainy morning – so I could make the most of my visit. (During the past week Cape Town experienced gale force winds, so timing worked out well!!)

This story was of necessity shaped by the theme but I am not too happy with the information overload (again). I tried cutting down as much as I could but I was beginning to think that it would not really make sense or flow properly if I cut it down more.

I enjoyed every minute watching and filming these engaging little critters!

Chris Barcellos April 3rd, 2013 01:44 PM

Re: Uwol #25 - Pioneers - Marj Atkins

Very nice images and a great story too. Nice job Marj.

Markus Nord April 4th, 2013 06:24 AM

I love this story… how that haft to move and how humans then try to do what they can to help them out.
the first 4 shot are kind of the same, maybe you could have ether got closer with some shots, or a bit more away… just 1-2 shot with a bit wide framing… maybe.
but after that it is smooth as ice-cream. I would have like some shot in eye level…. But maybe you were not allowed down at ground level.
Good job Marj

Trond Saetre April 4th, 2013 08:22 AM

Penguins, the only living creatures permanently dressed for a party. :)

I like how you always come up with good stories, and I always learn something new from your films.
Well done!

Bob Thieda April 4th, 2013 08:38 AM

Marj, you've certainly expanded my horizens with this video! Very well done...I was interested and learned something I didn't know.

The editing was very good and your V.O. was excellent.

Simon Wood April 4th, 2013 09:12 AM

Hi Marj,

This brings back many memories. I was in Simonstown years back to see the penguins; my girlfriend at the time loved penguins and so I promised her I'd take her to see them. I think she figured I'd be arranging a cruise to Antarctica on an icebreaker or something madly romantic like that. But instead I got a couple of 3rd class tickets and we hopped on a train in Tzaneen (near where we were working) and went down to the Cape - its surprising how few people realize that there are penguins in Africa. It all worked out in the end though (she my wife now) - so even a highly budgeted to trip to see the penguins counts....

Anyway, your video captures the little critters well. Who'd have thought they make so much noise (I guess thats why they call them Jackass penguins)?

As others have mentioned your video has a lot of interesting information, and well presented too.

Your info regarding them being 'indicator species' is interesting, and so could hold the key to the oceans well being...over the horizon, so to speak.

Geir Inge April 5th, 2013 03:36 AM

Hi Marj.

Finally, you brought penguins to Uwol.
An excellent movie with a good story, where the birds expand their horizons.
I am an avid supporter of Discovery, National Geograpfic and Animal Planet (TV channels), where Animal Planet has shown a program about just these penguins.
Magnificent execution of the theme, editing is good as usual and your comments are exceptional and well implemented.
You build up your movie in a way I like a good wildlife film should be.
With a nice intro, the story itself and an appropriate rounding to finish.
Why pick at something that is almost perfect?
Well, maybe the music is somewhat high in relation to the comments some places,
but that's a minor issue. I think I'm already starting to get old, do not hear so good, haha.
Perhaps I should buy a hearing aid instead of a quadro copter?
A little self-irony at the end here ;o)

I thank you and bows for fine delivery in line with the theme and the spirit of Uwol.

Mike Sims April 5th, 2013 02:51 PM

Howdy, Marj! I’m glad you got in this round. As Geir Inge mentioned, about a year ago I watched an hour long program about Black-footed Penguins which specifically covered this colony. I honestly think you did a much better job of it in three minutes than they did in ten times that. I know you worry about information overload but you hit upon the perfect mix this time. Penguins seem to be everywhere lately and almost everyone falls into the trap of treating them as little Charlie Chaplins dressed for dinner. I’m not a big fan of anthropomorphism. It is so refreshing to see a fact based treatment. My hat’s off to you, ma’am.

Paul Wood April 5th, 2013 03:31 PM

Hi Marj,

Thanks for this great insight - both into the penguins ¨on location ¨, and to the history of them being there, to the threats they face, and the efforts now being made to help them re establish a colony.

I feel for your comments about trying to cut down information - one of the hardest things I find is trying to tell your story, get the right images, and fit everything into the time allowed!

I guess that is one of the biggest challenges all film makers face - especially those of us who fulfil all of the roles of a crew!

I very much enjoyed it!

Dale Guthormsen April 6th, 2013 05:42 PM

As always, just a great little video!!!! You never dissappoint!!

I loved the shot at the end of the pinguin running into the water and wave, looked like he was having fun!!!!

What a pleasure to watch!!! Great story told well@@@

dale

Marj Atkins April 7th, 2013 12:39 AM

Thank you all, for your encouraging comments on my film - I will respond shortly. While I managed to watch a couple of films during the week I only got to watch the majority of them last night. What an enjoyable bundle of films we have this round! I am now working on my feedback comments and will get them up soon.

Bill Thesken April 7th, 2013 01:44 AM

Marj,
Very informative, and nice images to go along with the graceful narration.
I had a tough time with one part and had to listen a few times. Is it 'Guano scraping and egg collection'?
I learned about an 'indicator species', when I had only known about a 'keystone species' before.

Oliver Pahlow April 7th, 2013 01:00 PM

Marj,

That was very interesting. You tell a good story both with your camera and your narrative. It looks warm out by you. Great penguin shots. Thanks.

Finn-Erik Faale April 7th, 2013 02:56 PM

Marj,
I agree with all the positive comments from others.
You deliver as usual a fair clean film without external effects.
I do understand that knowledge and planning lies behind.

Marj Atkins April 10th, 2013 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Wood (Post 1788599)
... I think she figured I'd be arranging a cruise to Antarctica on an icebreaker or something madly romantic like that. But instead I got a couple of 3rd class tickets and we hopped on a train in Tzaneen (near where we were working) and went down to the Cape - its surprising how few people realize that there are penguins in Africa. It all worked out in the end though (she my wife now) - so even a highly budgeted to trip to see the penguins counts....

Sounds madly romantic to me anyway but, who knows, maybe a trip to Antarctica will be on the cards sometime in the future - if you keep on making such good films (and if the penguins haven’t disappeared completely before then of course!)

[QUOTE=Simon Wood;1788599]
...Anyway, your video captures the little critters well. Who'd have thought they make so much noise (I guess thats why they call them Jackass penguins)?
QUOTE]

Yes – African Penguins were formerly known as Jackass Penguins or Black-footed Penguins. But in the global renaming of bird species a few years back they got their new name. There is a penguin in South America (Magellanic Penguin) that has a similar donkey-like bray and this was a way of differentiating between them.