DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 25 - The Atlantic Forest - Paul Wood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/515556-uwol-25-atlantic-forest-paul-wood.html)

Paul Wood April 3rd, 2013 12:16 PM

UWOL 25 - The Atlantic Forest - Paul Wood

Well my idea with this short film was to stretch my own horizons, by making a more complex production than I have recently been doing.

The idea was born for the Charity Challenge (at least the forest part was,) but it developed after a rather strange conversation Simon and I joined on another forum about monkeys the idea gelled - of course! - combine the forest and the monkeys - throw in a toucan, some parrots, and me, and you have it!

I didn't count on the rain, unfortunately, which not only makes for grey overcast images, it also seriously limits my ability to travel due to the poor state of the local dirt roads, which are passable only by tractor or 4x4 after the rain, neither of which I have here. Three weeks out of the four, it rained. Good for the crops, bad for outdoor filming.

So I modified my story, added a few more trees, and will have to make a follow up version, once I have conquered Murphy's First Law of wildlife filming - that of having your camera set up when you see the wildlife!

Your comments and suggestions are welcome!

I had trouble uploading to UWOL, so was only able to upload a smaller file - the 1080p version is below

Simon Wood April 3rd, 2013 01:13 PM

Re: UWOL 25 - The Atlantic Forest - Paul Wood

Hi Paul, glad you finished this one!

When I saw you perched up in the tree with your khakis and blue shirt with a pair of big binos around your neck I immediately thought of Sir David Attenborough; and the end of that scene (cutting after you look off into the distance with the binos) totally nailed it. I was glad to see you mentioned Attenborough at the end; I think this was a very well crafted tribute to his style of filmmaking. That said; you are a great presenter by your own right; with a good clear voice and you are natural and relaxed looking in front of the camera. The audio was very clear; I have to congratulate you on your location sound. I'm guessing you had a lav mic under your shirt?

The music choice was also appropriate and had that epic BBC feel to it.

You got some good shots in there, and the actual information was informative while still being short and sweet - most of us know something or another about the state of the rain forests in South America already, so its nice to get a bit of history thrown in the mix.

Good job Sir Paul Wood!

(Incidentally; for anyone reading Pauls post above; just to clarify the conversation he and I had regarding monkeys was not strange, but rather the view point of another person (and their reaction to our view) was the thing that was strange!). Just want to clear that up!

Chris Barcellos April 3rd, 2013 01:31 PM

Great video with some spectacular views, and some and lesson besides !

What did you use for camera ?

Trond Saetre April 4th, 2013 09:23 AM

Hi Paul,

Interesting to watch films and learning so much from all over the world.
I like your style, and you delivered a good VO and an interesting story.
Nice scenery you have there.

Thanks for sharing. I look forward to your future films.
Well done!

Paul Wood April 4th, 2013 10:31 AM

Thanks for the comments!

Chris, it was mostly filmed on a Sony NX70, although the last couple of telephoto shots were actually my VG10 on the end of a 4 1/2¨ telescope I was playing around with on a rainy day - not exactly portable, but works quite well.

Thanks for the compliment, Simon - it works as I had hoped, but not a monkey in sight!
I was using a radio mic taped under my shirt, and it worked well, although wasn't as hidden as I wanted ( as you can see in a couple of shots) - better next time.

Finn-Erik Faale April 4th, 2013 02:42 PM

Paul, you have made a very good and interesting video.
Your behaving in front of the camera really competes Attenborough.
In my opinion you have a professional sound editing.
It is a pleasure to listen through headphones.

Markus Nord April 5th, 2013 01:57 AM

Well done Paul!
I like your style, you look relaxed in front of the camera and with clear voice. Good subject and to bring the viewer in from something they know (Amazon rainforest) and then to you subject, Clever!
a nice tribute!

Geir Inge April 5th, 2013 02:18 AM

Hi Paul.

You provide a great movie, this round.
A good story, spiced with magnificent landscapes.
The music is well suited to this type of reportage movies and you have included some clips of birds.
Even though they may be intended as "spice" in the movie, I'm curious about what birds they are.
It is not difficult to see that Sir David Frederick Attenborough is a model for you.
He is a role model for many of us :)
I can not find anything to criticize, and why should I?
This is my kind of liking, that goes straight to my heart.
Should I "poke" in anything, it is perhaps a tiny jump cut at 1:48 to 1:50.
But who cares? Not me for sure.

Thank you for sharing.

Bob Thieda April 6th, 2013 10:53 AM

Stunning shots of the landscape, just stunning.

Paul, when I saw you sitting up in the tree and heard your opening, I was hooked. You also have an excellent on screen personality. Very, very relaxed and comfortable.

It was a very nicely laid out story. I think most of us know about the deforestation of South America, but to get the details and see the result, really brings it home.

Thanks!

Mike Sims April 6th, 2013 12:33 PM

Hey, Paul. I know you had troubles uploading this. I had the opposite problem. Every time I tried to watch my internet would crash before the end. I tried a bunch of times with no luck. Finally I waited a day and tried again-success. I’m glad I did. Nice. When I saw the title I thought “Golden Lion Tamarins” as I think they are the poster child for the Atlantic Forests. Wrong- as you say, not a monkey in sight. You didn’t need them! The scene in the tree made me chuckle. Are those 15x70s? I have a pair of 20x80s that I have been known to use as a video prop even though the magnification is too much to handhold. I’m certainly glad I finally had a chance to enjoy this video. Well done.

Paul Wood April 6th, 2013 01:25 PM

Geir,

Thank you for your comments - certainly one of the problems I had this time was the final edit - I made a rough sound cut, (but had to leave most of the VO out), with information on the wildlife I didn't manage to film, I also had some rough shots in poor weather, which I wanted to change once the sun came out - as it happened, that did not work out (its raining again here last 2 days!), so had to look again for some adequate footage.

The birds also had commentary - but didn't make it to the final cut due to lack of time, and good footage - but at 2.06¨and again at 3.24¨is the Red Legged Seriema - the first, a small chick sitting on a stump inside the forest, and the second, an older bird, which arrived close to the house. I have much more footage, but through a tree
At 3.34¨ I think are Brazilian Teal, and at the closing shot is a puzzle - I spent some time asking the neighbours, but no one yet knows the species - its certainly very large,and at first I took it for a buzzard, but the beak and crest have us fooled - even google doesn't help yet!

Im glad you enjoyed it!

Paul Wood April 6th, 2013 01:31 PM

Bob,

Many thanks - don't ask how many takes it took!
My wife helped out on a few of the shots, but is only starting out, so I had to try a few times, climbing up and down after a few takes!

I should also say how much I admire the real Sir David - sitting calmly in a tree filming your piece to camera, whilst trying to ignore the large black ants crawling over your trousers and up your shirt is not something I'd do every day!

Thanks for your comments!

Paul Wood April 6th, 2013 01:59 PM

Hi Mike,

Im glad you finally got to watch - actually the Golden Lion Tamarind was on my mind at the planning stage, but most of the monkeys roundabout are Tufted Capuchin, and have unfortunately acquired the habit of preferring easy food near towns to ¨roughing it ¨ - that said, they are not all that easy to find when you want to film them!

The binoculars are actually Praktica 25-125x80 zooms - unusable at the zoom, and should probably be fixed to a part of a ship, but we do use them on a tripod quite a lot - but as you say, an effective prop!

Having started this project, I will finish a longer term version - we have pumas nearby eating stock of the neighbours - hard to see, except for the remains of the catch, much more exotic birds - Toucans around the house - until you get the camera out, of course, and many other species worth recording.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Dale Guthormsen April 6th, 2013 05:35 PM

Paul,

A very revealing video!! I loved the shot at 1:10!! There were numerous shots that had great production value and of the highest order!! No doubt, I think that your naration was the best, a nice gentle pace that anyone could clearly understand, Very Attenboroish.

If I ever do a full dsocumentary I will get you to do the naration!!!

Very nice job iof it!!!

dale

Oliver Pahlow April 7th, 2013 12:24 PM

Paul,

That was very interesting. I liked your sweeping shots and the way you introduced your location. Your voice quality going from on camera to off camera narrative I thought was very well balanced. I enjoyed watching your work. Thanks Paul.