Collaborative UWOL Project? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 17th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #31
Trustee

Re: Collaborative UWOL Project?

Uwol was conceived in 2006 by Chris Hurd and the first competition (Uwol # 1) in January 2007 with Meryem Ersoz as our guiding star and leader.
What if we made ​​a film about us participants, being a part of Uwol and what we do?
After so many years we have accumulated a lot of material, from all continents.
Uwol is best known among us who participate, not that known for the rest of the world.
What if we made ​​a nature video with Uwol as theme and starting point?
A film that deals with how we work together across continents and countries, with the Internet as a venue? And we are celebrating the 25th round?
I think it will be of great interest for many TV stations around the world.
Few of us have met, still we talk to eachother as good old friends.
I think it will be a scoop; "world cooperation of nature videographers".

This is only a thought, but why shoot new footage when we have so much unused and ready to be broadcast? It does not matter whether we use what we have presented in Uwol.
In Norwegian we call it recycled, which is good for the environment ;o)
This will be a feature film that shows "Best of Uwol". The job is to edit the monster :/
AND pick the right tracks.
AND ask Chris if we can use this forum.

Imagine, 5 minutes on each will be a feature length nature films from around the world.
What do you say, is it worth considering?

Well, I've used Google translate to this post,
so you can do crossword puzzles work and reshuffling words so it is proper english :)
Old April 17th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #32
Obstreperous Rex

Geir: the translation works very well, and I really like your idea!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #33
Major Player

Way to go, Geir Inge! This is the best idea yet. We could also use this as a starting place to begin reassembling the videos (at very least the winners from all of the earlier rounds) that we lost when the archive disappeared. There will be some format problems, but nothing we can’t deal with. Hopefully the owners of the earlier videos can provide versions in the higher resolutions we now use. I think the story of a group of strangers that came together ostensibly to compete and ended up forming a community dedicated to helping and encouraging each other resulting in a world-wide collaboration has an incredible amount of “human interest”. We can do this. I’m going to start giving this project a lot of serious thought and I hope others will too. Please, let’s hear what everyone thinks!
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #34
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sims View Post
... when the archive disappeared.
Would somebody please bring me up to speed on this? What, when and how. Am I already aware? I'm not sure! I've been paying my hosting company *something* for quite some time with a UWOL earmark on it but I don't claim to know anything anymore.

Old April 17th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #35
Wrangler

CH, until someone who knows better chimes in I'll take a stab at it. I believe that you moved the archives from uwolchallenge.com to DV Info servers a couple years ago. You took over hosting the Web site and storing files...I think, which would mean the archives are not lost. If I remember correctly it would be the cool site Mat Thompson designed and Kevin Railsback was funding that disappeared. Ring any bells? :)
Old April 17th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #36
Obstreperous Rex

Ah so. Yes, the web site appears to be long gone but it looks like I've got an active UWOL-branded server using a 40GB slice with fresh back-ups. So the data should be there. I'm not exactly sure how to get into it, but we'll figure it out.

Old April 18th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Geir Inge's idea is a great one!
No matter what skills each of us have, no matter where we live (in a city, on a farm...), this theme is something that everyone should be able to accomplish.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
So the data should be there.
Excellent! DVInfo to the rescue. I should have known…
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #39
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry for continuing this even further OT, but I wanted to let you all know that I have successfully accessed the old UWOL Challenge server and everything from the old site (including all of the video clips) is indeed intact and safe & sound. The only thing that was lost appears to be the domain name. Without it, the site itself is really not functional due to the internal linking structure. However I downloaded and watched a few video clips, one of which was Mike Sim's "Over The Mountain" long-form challenge entry, among others. So despite the loss of the domain name, everything else survives and is perfectly healthy. We'll work on getting it restored to public view soon.

Old April 18th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Good to know all the submitted entries are still there.

Chris,
Thank you very much for all you do for everyone here. DVInfo.net is really the one and only source for quality information.
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #41
Major Player

I like Geir's idea (although I only have a short history here!), as it could make a good human interest theme of the group of like minded individuals across the world. I am very happy being accepted as part of the group!

The way I see it would be each of us doing a short piece to camera, (with a common set of questions to answer) covered with supporting B roll, either shot for the event, or using existing footage - especially for those with winning entries - which would form the body of the B roll.

I would also support Simon's original idea, of having several projects running at once - this should also be achievable, as long as people have time, and the two do not overlap in the subject.

Any thoughts?
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:38 AM   #42
Wrangler

I've been thinking about this off and on; haven't formed many definite thoughts, but I want to try to help keep the ball rolling...or balls, as it appears to be two projects.

For the "farm" project, I suggest that Simon Wood head that one up as director and editor. He would start a thread dedicated to the project and you all go from there.

As for the UWOL history project...this one is obviously going to be a big job from a communication and data gathering standpoint. Wondering if duties could be split up, with perhaps Chris Hurd starting a thread detailing the plan, maybe Trond contacting some past participants to see if they want to get involved, and then everyone deciding on other details.

Both projects = large commitment, with extraordinary payoff!
Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:31 AM   #43
Wrangler

Can't believe I left out one of the first thoughts I had regarding the history project: Someone needs to get in touch with Meryem and ask for her insight, advice, and inclusion! The UWOL Challenge is her baby!! :)
Old April 22nd, 2013, 12:36 PM   #44
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
As for the UWOL history project...this one is obviously going to be a big job from a communication and data gathering standpoint. Wondering if duties could be split up, with perhaps Chris Hurd starting a thread detailing the plan, maybe Trond contacting some past participants to see if they want to get involved, and then everyone deciding on other details.

Both projects = large commitment, with extraordinary payoff!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
Can't believe I left out one of the first thoughts I had regarding the history project: Someone needs to get in touch with Meryem and ask for her insight, advice, and inclusion! The UWOL Challenge is her baby!! :)
I will do my best to contact all the previous participants within this week.
And yes, Meryem must be included. :)
Old April 22nd, 2013, 01:05 PM   #45
Major Player

I think we should just pick up Lorinda’s suggestions and run with them.

I really like Simon’s original idea about cattle. If he decides to do it I would like to participate. I have several ideas- from the world’s largest cattle ranch to a small cow/calf operation run by a little old white-haired lady, a small town cattle auction to a huge commercial feed lot. Unfortunately, with my current travel restrictions it would take me the better part of the year to collect that footage, also, for me, the best time for cattle related footage would be February (San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo) and March (Houston Stock Show- the world’s largest). Whatever time frame Simon chooses I will try to contribute something.

I think we should get started on the UWOL project now and just let it take how ever long it takes. Trond would also be my first choice to coordinate it (if he is agreeable). I would think it would require interviews with Chris Hurd, Meryem Ersoz, Catherine Russell and Lorinda Norton. We might also want to each record a one or two sentence self-interview. Other than that most of the footage should be in the bank. How about this as a working title-“Under Water, Over Land- Around the World”?
Mike Sims is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge