DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Original UWOL Challenge site archive now available (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/518617-original-uwol-challenge-site-archive-now-available.html)

Chris Hurd August 30th, 2013 07:06 AM

Original UWOL Challenge site archive now available

Howdy from Texas,

First, my apologies for the delay in making this available. It's been a crazy summer -- as usual!

Second, the solution to the loss of the uwolchallenge.com domain is not elegant -- my apologies for that as well. But hopefully you'll find it effective.

Third, I'm still not sure *how* the domain name was lost in the first place. I wasn't originally involved when it was first registered. However, I promise to commit more resources to this and other projects going forward. DVi has been online for 13 years. The forum has been running for 12. The site that DVi grew out of, the old XL1 Watchdog, was started in 1997. Believe me when I say I know a thing or two about online longevity. If I had been named on the contact info for the uwolchallenge.com domain name, then it would still be active today. Certainly not pointing any fingers at anyone here... not in the least... just saying, from now on, if it's a DVi project, then DVi will have the primary stewardship. That way, it can't get lost. Thanks for understanding.

I'm pretty sure I have the old site working right; the main thing to understand is that you are navigating an IP address instead of a domain name.

Point your browser to The UWOL Challenge - Wildlife & Outdoor based film competition

All site links, including the Film Vault at the top right of the page, should be working and all of the old clips should be perfectly accessible in all their web-optimized standard definition glory. Let me know if there are any problems, and enjoy!

Trond Saetre August 30th, 2013 07:16 AM

Re: Original UWOL Challenge site archive now available

Chris,
A big thank you for all the hard work you do! It is very much appreciated.
DVInfo is simply the best!

To have access to the old uwol films will help a lot for the UWOL Around the world film project.

Chris Hurd August 30th, 2013 07:20 AM

Just wish I had done this earlier, Trond! Hope it's useful.

Mike Sims August 31st, 2013 05:44 PM

It is already very useful. Thank-you, Chris!

Trond Saetre September 2nd, 2013 09:36 AM

Just a follow up:
I have now downloaded and watched some of the old uwol videos successfully.
All seem to work well.

Chris Barcellos September 24th, 2014 04:07 PM

Chris Hurd:

I can't seem to get to the archive. I am particularly interested in my film "Water Watchers" as the Coastal Commission of California is seek evidence the use of the Beach in the film, as access has now been closed off to the public by new owners of adjacent property.

Marj Atkins September 25th, 2014 06:16 AM

Hi Chris

Just to let you know that when I click on the link nothing loads.

Kevin Railsback September 26th, 2014 08:13 AM

Chris,

I'm getting a response error when I try to access it.

We let the domain lapse because no one was using the website.
Mat put in a ton of work yet the site was a ghost town so there was really no need to keep the domain if the website was just going to gather cobwebs.

Chris Barcellos September 27th, 2014 09:11 PM

Okay. I understand. I thought I had my film backed up somewhere. It disappeared vwith a bad harddrive. I still have the rAw footage, though.

Trond Saetre September 28th, 2014 08:43 AM

Kevin, the uwol domain was taken down, that is correct.
But the film archive was transferred by Chris Hurd over to dvinfo.net a while ago.
So if CH hasn't done anything with them , the films should still be somewhere on dvinfo's servers.

Kevin Railsback September 28th, 2014 09:14 AM

We hosted the website on DVi so everything should be there.
It used to be on its own server but Mat and I downloaded every film and replaced them to the DVi server where they should still remain today.

We dropped the domain name and stopped using the website because no one used it.

I might even still have the zip files of the films that I downloaded when we made the transfer I don't know.

Chris Hurd October 1st, 2014 02:32 PM

My apologies for the delay in replying to this thread. The UWOL archive site was moved to a new server a few months ago at the same time as DVi. The location is:

http://uwolchallenge.dvinfo.net/

When you look at it, you'll notice something missing -- all the media! Well, not to worry, all of the video clips are there, the web pages just aren't displaying them. I'll work on getting that issue fixed as soon as possible.

Trond Saetre October 1st, 2014 02:34 PM

Thanks a lot, Chris!

Chris Hurd October 1st, 2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1862574)
I am particularly interested in my film "Water Watchers" as the Coastal Commission of California is seek evidence the use of the Beach in the film, as access has now been closed off to the public by new owners of adjacent property.

Hi Chris, it's online here:

http://uwolchallenge.dvinfo.net/chal...erwatchers.mov

Hope this helps,