DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#27 - "Time is running out" by Geir Inge B. Brekke (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/519298-uwol-27-time-running-out-geir-inge-b-brekke.html)

Geir Inge October 3rd, 2013 01:53 PM

UWOL#27 - "Time is running out" by Geir Inge B. Brekke

In this round of Uwol, my plan was to make a video about autumn.
Then came a report from the United Nations the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), and I changed my original plan.
Perhaps an impulse action from me?
Nevertheless, I wrote a text for a song that I made and that was it.
I do not know, maybe I should stuck to my original plan.
But sometimes, one is affected by things that touches one's heart.
I have a concern for the planet, for our children's future and all other living creatures welfare. Maybe now is the right time for a change.
Twenty years ago, my wife and I went to look at a glacier. Now, twenty years later, we went once again to the glacier. You see yourself in the video.
OK, so I'm missing some clips to make a good movie. It is a bit shaky here and there, because of the hand held camera. I use 4 different cameras, Canon XLH1, Canon 3HV 30, Canon EOS 600 and GoPro Black Edition. Therefore, you will probably see some color differences. I have filmed at various locations. This brings in some variations in light, color and also the weather conditions. From late summer to autumn, and even snow on some peaks.
I did not think I got delivered within deadline, was at work. My kind boss gave me free few hours, so I went home, edited what you see and uploaded the video.
I welcome your feedback.

Bryce Comer October 3rd, 2013 03:12 PM

Re: UWOL#27 - "Time is running out" by Geir Inge B. Brekke

Great video Geir,
I have watched it only once so far, & i'm about to head back up to the mountains so I will wait until I am back to comment on it properly. Your song however was fantastic! Great message too.
Thanks,
Bryce

Tim Lewis October 3rd, 2013 06:13 PM

Hi Geir

I think the film showed well that it was based on a good idea, but I found the handheld shots a bit much. I think it would have benefited from more steady locked off shots and less hand held pans. The careful cutting of shots to the lyrics was impressive and noted. Well done.

Steve Siegel October 3rd, 2013 07:08 PM

Geir,

Even though your last minute change of plans and work schedule made you hurry through production, your message is still effective. The handheld footage was a little distracting, but singing the narrative made even the unsteady shots seem more natural. It was an excellent idea.

Trond Saetre October 4th, 2013 11:17 AM

Hei Geir Inge,

Nice to see you were able to submit your film in time.
Your music was a great choice, and you have some really good locations.
I would have liked to see more of the glacier, and maybe you could have found some "old" pictures to give a "before and after" of how the glacier has pulled back over the years.

Well done!
Thank you for sharing.

Bryce Comer October 5th, 2013 12:18 AM

Geir,
That song! It's just fantastic. Love it. I really like the message of your film, & I think the more stuff like this that gets out there, the better. Unfortunately there are still many who believe climate change is a farce & they should be allowed to go on the way they always have. The evidence is pretty clear that you present in your video!! Yes some of the shots could be a little steadier, but content is king, & I just keep coming back to the fact that I like your message.
I love that you were able to get a few aerial shots in there too. Perhaps you could have left out the one where you are spinning around, as I feel that type of shot makes me a little dizzy! On that note though, & with regards to making shots more steady. I recently purchased a 99USD brushless gimbal for my phantom from Goodluckbuy.com & I have to say, I am very, very impressed with the footage from the set up now. It won't be long, & there will be lots of very cheap options for both aerial mounted, & hand held brushless gimbals, allowing us to get super steady shots on the go.
Regards,
Bryce

Paul Wood October 5th, 2013 08:11 AM

Well, Geir Inge, Im even more impressed!
Normally I like your commentary, but the song was fantastic!

The story was also clear - and I agree it is difficult for most people to accept what they hear about warming, as they sit in their air conditioned / heated homes, but when you can get out and see for yourself, or in films like this, it is difficult to deny.

Thanks!

Gordon Hoffman October 5th, 2013 10:01 PM

Wow..... What can I say Geir Inge other than I found myself humming that tune all morning. Personally I like the idea of the spinning shot, it just needed to be a bit smoother. I remember the first time you did a little singing, I believe you where in a canoe then.

Gordon

Marj Atkins October 7th, 2013 03:32 AM

Geir,your film is the one that made the biggest impact on me. I sat quite stunned afterwards. What a song and what a story.

I think you could make something very powerful out of this given more time - the shots/editing were not up to your usual standard (due to time I know) but please rework this story it is amazing.

Theme: The story is powerful but it is more about ‘Time’ than ‘Timing’. This probably has more to do with foreign language and interpretation than anything else.

A couple of questions:
Was it just you singing with overlays of recordings or a group singing with you? Did you also compose the music or just the lyrics? Can you give us the lyrics?

Really amazing video.

Geir Inge October 7th, 2013 10:42 AM

Tim:
Thank you for nice comments.
As you can read in the intro to this feeadback tread, I was in short of time and clips.
Still, I have done a re-edit on my vimeo account, but that's not for use in this competition.

Steve:
Often we can get away with things if the sound get in the way of the lousy clips, haha.
I'm glad you liked the idea and the tune.

Trond:
Sorry but I was in short of clips for this one, so I had to use - not so good clips.
As for the glacier I'm using one still from 1993, and one from today, showing 20 years difference.
I'm not very found of using to much stills in a wildlife film, it dipence on what they are used for :)

Bryce:
To me, it was importened to deliver this film in time of schedule.
I'm in fact clear of the unsteady clips, I didn't have any other to put in, filmed within the legal period for this round of uwol.
The main purpose with this film is the message, though I wish I had more time.
You know my re-edit of it, and I think if I get more time - I will do another edit to get it smoother.

Paul:
Well, I think it is the first time there's been a music video in Uwol ;)
I'm glad you like the message and the song.

Gordon:
I'm glad you like it.
Yes, I have been singing in uwol before, padling a canoe around the islets where I was born.
I think the theme was "water", haha.
Even Meryem had it on a filmfest at Boulder, If I'm not wrong.

Marj:
I have done a new edit to this one, using some old clips - and I will work even more on it.
Well, that is as soon time let me, haha.
As I was in short of both time and clips, I just had to use what I had - that's life.
When it comes to the theme, I can understand there can be different meaning in different countries.
In my country timing also can be to do something now instead of waiting, till it's to late.
As in: When is the right timing for starting doing something....etc.
In song lyrics the writer often can use another language then if spoken the words.
It's like methaphores, but I see your point.
Yes, it's me singing all the voices and I'm the composer as well.
Music is another hobby of mine.
I can give you the lyrics, but you'll have to wait untill next weekend (Friday) as I will be away on work this week. I don't have my computer with me, you see.

Marj Atkins October 11th, 2013 10:06 AM

Wow Geir - that is amazing. I shall look out for your finished film! Look forward to the lyrics when you post them.

Geir Inge October 11th, 2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marj Atkins (Post 1816638)
Wow Geir - that is amazing. I shall look out for your finished film! Look forward to the lyrics when you post them.

Here's the lyrics and my new edit.
I will work more on this one ;)

Time is running out.
(Text/music: Geir Inge B. Brekke)
1.v
Autumn Leaves, birds have flown away.
Time goes by, and memories remain.
It’s all in our hands, like a tidal wave is running the sand.
It’s all in the hands of the driver.
2.v
Sound of silence, whispering without a word.
Acid in the air, acid everywhere.
Ch
Now we are all running for better times.
Reaching for the sun, it’s a playing ground – our fields of gold.
Time is running out; get your feet down on the ground.
3.v
Have a look around you, tell me what you see.
Contaminated fields and contaminated water.
Ch (2x)
Reaching for the sun, it’s a playing ground – our fields of gold.
Time is running out; get your feet down on the ground.

Marj Atkins October 11th, 2013 12:16 PM

Thanks for posting the lyrics Geir - very nice. Your film is already flowing better.

This is only a suggestion, but try decreasing the size of your text (not the title text) and even simplifying the font in the body of your film - it may look better. Also perhaps try putting 'The End' on one line below the images?

Don't forget to add credits to the end of your film - especially for the music. :)