Tales.of wonders and woes - UWOL 29 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old March 5th, 2014, 11:19 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Tales.of wonders and woes - UWOL 29

UWOL is a film challenge so the people that submitted films for the previous Light theme have a opportunity to go in a different direction this time around.

I know I'll be shooting something for sure this time around. Panasonic called and said they just got in a pre-release of the PX270 so they're going to ship it to me for a few days to test out.
So most certainly going to be out using it for this challenge!
Old March 5th, 2014, 11:20 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Thanks, Bill.
Next one will be unique!

Congratulations with the new camera, Kevin! I look forward to see what you can come up with, and what you think of the new cam.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 11:58 AM   #18
Major Player

We were at a game lodge at the weekend and it was quite an experience. Saw soggy leopard, lion, giraffes and zebras amongst other animals; birds were sopping wet and looked quite bedraggled; had quite a few breath-taking roller coaster rides along the muddy dirt roads - mostly clay. It was a really fun time but what dull dreary weather (doesn't look like it will be clearing soon either).

Found lots of reflections from puddles and raindrops but nothing much else for this theme!! Nice candle light too.

I don't have a shortage of ideas but most entail too much work so I have decided without much ado on a very simple theme and will try tackling it in a different way this time round. No idea how just yet.

Hope everyone finds inspiration soon and then some fun!
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 03:29 PM   #19
Trustee

I have an idea for my Plan A that I think would be really cool of I can figure out how to tell the story right.
It really won't fit the theme at all if it's not told right so I need to figure that out.

I had to send myself an email with some suggestions about the idea because if I just looked at the idea I'd have no clue what I was thinking to fit the theme.

I'll spend a couple days thinking about it and if I can't figure out how to make it fit the theme I'll move on to Plan B
Old March 5th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Well I think I've finally started figuring things out....

Here are my (tongue-in-cheek) goals:

Plan A = Make a video that doesn't suck
Plan B = Make a video that doesn't get me banned from DVInfo
Plan C = I'm still figuring this one out yet....

Have no fear though, I am following the "have fun" rule without deviation!
Ralph Gereg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2014, 07:51 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Gereg View Post
I am following the "have fun" rule without deviation!
FUN is the key word.
Still plenty time until deadline.
Old March 8th, 2014, 08:31 AM   #22
Trustee

Spent the day yesterday setting up the PX270 to how I think it will match my 250.
Headed out tonight after work to shoot for a couple hours.

Glad we spring forward an hour tomorrow. The extra hour of daylight will certainly help me since my next day off is the 22nd and I have to go to Illinois to work o a feature film I've been the DP on since December.
Old March 9th, 2014, 08:31 AM   #23
Major Player

OK. I’ve got an idea. I’ve got a plan. I’ve got a script. I have the equipment lined up. I have a cast and crew (both me). The only thing I am lacking is some cooperative temperate weather. March weather is always problematic in Texas. You can’t trust the forecasts a few hours ahead and grey skies and wind are quite common. At least I’m not up to my Sachtler in snow drifts like some of you guys! While I’m waiting for a shooting window I had better start thinking about that elusive Plan B.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 01:52 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Mike, sounds like we both are being challenged by the weather. Storm and the wet element ruined my filming plans for this weekend.
Better luck another day.
Old March 9th, 2014, 03:09 PM   #25
Major Player

Well, at least I have the weather! - Sun and 17º over the weekend.

My plan A is coming together - met up with the people involved and I have a draft of a shooting schedule. Due to the commitments of people involved, its going to be a one hit affair, so I will also bring up plan B, just in case!
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 09:31 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wood View Post
Well, at least I have the weather! - Sun and 17º over the weekend.

case!
Paul, I DO hope you are saying 17 Celsius! :)

17 °C is equal to 62.6 °F.

Doing the conversion, that's a tad on the chilly side for my taste, but good sweater weather I suppose.
Old March 10th, 2014, 10:50 AM   #27
Major Player

Add me to the list of people being challenged by the weather - we have had more rain in the past week than we had for the entire month of March last year! Weather forecasts state that rain will continue for another two weeks. Not good - looks like more flooding is on the cards.

Can't find some of the wildlife that is really common around here - they have disappeared due to the wet conditions. Fortunately I'm still at the planning stage so hopefully I will be ready by the time the rain stops. (Problem is, things take a long time to dry out and get back to normal. I think Plan B will probably have to be used.)

Hope your knee is feeling better and getting stronger after your op Steve - not a nice op to have to go through I believe.

Marj
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 11:02 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Anyone not challenged by weather this round?
December was record wet (last 100 years), January was record cold and dry, February was record warm, not sure what March ends up like... Crazy weather.

Was out and about looking for the light to brighten my plan B. Got a mix of sunshine, calm winds, rain and strong winds that nearly made my tripod fall over, rain, more sunshine... all in a few hours.
Hopefully some of the footage can be used. Now I'm on plan C I think.
Old March 10th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #29
Regular Crew

I'm definitely NOT being challenged by the weather here in Florida. Weather has for the most part been perfect... Sunny and 75 to 85 F.

My challenge so far has just been making time and energy to devote. When I have the time, I don't have the energy. When I'm feeling energetic, I don't have the time. I'ts almost a bit of a paradox.

Some good news though, I think I finally have an idea that I think may work... just working on wrapping a plan around it! I just hope this Time/Energy problem doesn't become a showstopper. I guess I will just have to push through and get it done.
Old March 12th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #30
Major Player

Yes, Ralph,

17ºC - Doesn't seem like much, especially after having spent the best part of the last two years in tropical Brazil, but its better than the 2ºC we had until recently!

The rain is holding off, so far - let's wait until I come to shoot before I put aside the Plan B!
I'm managing to get some B roll done anyway....
Paul Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge