Tales.of wonders and woes - UWOL 29 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old March 12th, 2014, 03:30 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Tales.of wonders and woes - UWOL 29

How is Spain, Paul? I look forward to see what you come up with in your new location.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 03:24 AM   #32
Major Player

Well I have ideas, it's more a question of is it practical - locations, somebody to operate camera, or be on it, etc... Same old story
And I need to arrange picking up my 'new' (for me) Sony FS100 - then figure out how to use it and put G-log on there. And probably get more memory cards. Should be fun to play with (actually I hear the ergonomics are rubbish, but we'll see) and see what I can capture.
And I don't think I can light any fires, we're still in fire restrictions. They're still trying to put out the coal fire from weeks ago.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 10:13 AM   #33
Regular Crew

http://i.imgur.com/YzquUZA.jpg
Finn Yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 10:20 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn Yarbrough View Post
Finn, is that you in the picture? You don't look so happy or warm and cozy even. But I could be mistaken....
Ralph Gereg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2014, 02:15 AM   #35
Trustee

As my main cameras are sent to the "camera doctor", I have to settle for one that I am less familiar with, Canon EOS 600D. It's not really a film camera :/
Considering buying a Canon EOS 5D Mark III, during the year. Anybody have experience with this camera?
Have been out filmed a bit the last days, yet I lack a key element to my my film.
Must hunt some more, I guess.

Wish you all good luck.
Old March 15th, 2014, 03:33 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir Inge View Post
Considering buying a Canon EOS 5D Mark III, during the year. Anybody have experience with this camera?
Lots of people use that camera over in the wedding video subforum. You might ask there.
Old March 15th, 2014, 12:25 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Gereg View Post
Finn, is that you in the picture? You don't look so happy or warm and cozy even. But I could be mistaken....
No big deal, just springtime in the Frozen North. I made it back alive.
Finn Yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 12:53 PM   #38
Major Player

Seems to be a little quiet around here lately.

Our weather has changed for the better so I am making progress slowly. I must say that due to the rain I had to think this theme through in a different way and make plans I would otherwise not have made. It has been fun working this out. Not sure how it will turn out in the end but rule 11 definitely applied here.

Hope that you are all progressing well.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 12:59 PM   #39
Inner Circle

We got plenty of rain here as well. And that doesn't fit in with the shots I already filmed the day we had a bit sunshine a week ago.

Still plenty time to have fun before deadline. :)
Hope you all do well.

One film is submitted already.
Old March 20th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Well, here we are 20 days into the month... and I have 2 minutes of unusable footage in the recycle bin so far. Heading out tomorrow to hopefully get the bulk of what I need for the concept im working on.... got my fingers crossed that the weather cooperates and the day goes smooth.... tomorrow may be my only chance to get the footage I need before the end of the month, what with my work schedule blowing up all over the place now that I've committed myself to a "project" (Murphy's law kicking in as per usual I guess).
Ralph Gereg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 03:06 PM   #41
Major Player

Hi all,

Trond, Spain is great, as it always was, but we are certainly noting the ¨crisis!¨ Still awaiting our removals van to arrive from Brazil with most of my lighting kit, but I am assured it will arrive by the end of the month.......

Hopefully, Saturday is my main shooting day, weather permitting, but I've been working on some graphics and music in the meantime.
Looking forward to the weekend to begin to get things together for my first UWOL from the northern hemisphere!
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 01:44 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Paul, you still haven't received all your stuff yet? That's taken a long while now.

Ralph, good luck with today's filming. Hope you get what you want and need.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 06:42 PM   #43
Major Player

I think I've simplified my idea enough to make it achievable. So now it comes down to the weather being OK on my days off to get what I need. And if I can make something good from the idea.
I have the FS100, learning how to use it - but I'm having issues with my Metabones adapter when it drifts the iris and occasionally does a focus near infinity for no reason (manual everything on the camera). Maybe it doesn't like my Sigma 50mm 1.4. I can always use the kit Sony 18-200mm but I want some DOF control. Many of the shots will be short, so it might be alright. Or maybe I can rotate the lens in its mount so the pins disengage.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 11:27 AM   #44
Major Player

I started on two projects that had to be abandoned so I’ve made a late start on Plan C. I think I got the last of the footage I needed yesterday when it was warm and sunny. This morning is cold, grey and very windy. I should have enough time for editing so I think I’m in with a chance of finishing. Good-luck to anyone else that has made a late start of it.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 10:12 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Thanks Trond, unfortunately I didnt make it out on Friday or Saturday...but I was able to spend the entire day Sunday out on the Myakka River trying to get my shots. Weather was perfect, water was glassy smooth and uh-oh the river was full of boats... thus scaring away my subject matter, couldnt get a good shot to save my life. I did get some stuff I'm hoping to use, but I wont know for sure until I can download and review later this evening.

My last hope may lie in getting some very last minute much needed shots next Saturday. I am still bound and determined to submit an entry, I already know it wont be my best work, but at this point I just want to finish the Marathon, so to speak.
Ralph Gereg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge