UWOL 29 - The Origin of Light - Paul Wood at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 1st, 2014, 01:36 PM   #1
Major Player

UWOL 29 - The Origin of Light - Paul Wood

The idea for this short came to me as I was researching another history project, and came upon the website of a local amateur astronomer, who lives nearby. This led to me meeting Antonio, who is actually a fairly close neighbour.

After some introductions, I was able to develop the rather complex idea of the origin of light, and of the universe and was able to film at a weekend, and then condense the story to fit into four minutes

The star images are taken from the websites of Antonio and Miguel, who share a passion for the study of the stars, and have incredible observatories at their homes.
I would ideally have like to include some time-lapse star shots, but time of my hosts was limited, so I made do with some home made graphics instead.

Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 02:38 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: UWOL 29 - The Origin of Light - Paul Wood

Hi Paul,

This was a nice educational film. Great story and the visuals backed up the story very well.
An extended version with some real footage from the telescope like you mentioned, would have been fun to watch.

Well done!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:27 AM   #3
Major Player

Always a interesting subject Paul and nicely put together. Can't help but wonder when looking at the stars. To bad you didn't have time for some nice timelapse.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:43 AM   #4
Major Player

This was quite an ambitious project that you set yourself Paul and I think you did it well. The idea of doing an interview with an astronomer was an excellent way to convey the information about the origin of light. What good fortune to have a friendly astronomer living so close by! Those photos of the stars are amazing.

Your solution for getting round the lack of lighting gear works well.

I found the information very interesting although I did have to watch it several times because there is quite lot to take in with reading the sub-titles at the same time as looking at the beautiful images. My eyes were continually being drawn to the professor talking instead of looking at the subtitles and then I would suddenly realize I didn’t understand a word he was saying and would have to look down at the sub-titles again. I am just wondering if a verbal translation transitioning from his V.O. at the beginning wouldn’t have made this easier to watch. I have seen that technique used before. Just a thought.

Your ‘Big Bang’ explosion is very well done but I think the planets in your title and credits are moving a tad too fast for comfort. The transition from your titles to the observatory works very well.

This was a difficult topic and approach to pull off but you did it - enjoyed it very much.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 02:22 PM   #5
Major Player

Paul- Great job putting together a video when most of your kit is still in a box somewhere! I think this must be the best interpretation on the theme. You did a great job with the interview and your subject has a wonderful screen presence. What software did you use for the animations? I love that transition from the first animation. I have to ask- This is your first UWOL video from the northern hemisphere. Did you turn the camera over or just flip it in post? ;) (Sorry, couldn’t resist!)
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:28 PM   #6
Major Player

I don't think you can get much more central to the theme than that. And it came across as a polished piece of work, with engaging subject matter. A timelapse would have really been the crown jewel, but there's always some limitations or setbacks along the way. Nice work Paul.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:59 PM   #7
Trustee

This was a very nice piece of work. The storyline was excellent, so good in fact that it is taken for granted. Wonderful shots, camera angles, and motion. Nice cutting job. People ahead of me made some good comments but hey, given the situation and conditions I'm impressed.

One can only imagine how it would have turned out with the rest of your kit and more time. The guy had a really nice observatory setup and as a private person, a gorgeous telescope.

With regard to the subtitle length, us English speaking people aren't very used to reading them 'cause it's usually the other way around. Although, when we watch "Downton Abbey", as a west coast American, I have to really listen carefully because of the English accents and some of the actors speak so fast.

There are some kids I'm going to sent the URL to. This would be perfect for them.

Elsewhere there were some comments about the download rate from Vimeo and this one was challenging.

A really nice piece of work.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 04:03 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Paul,

Enjoyed watching. You did very well to produce it considering your lack of equipment. Others have commented about lack of timelapses , which I agree with. Overall a great piece of work, thanks for submitting

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 06:05 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sims View Post
I have to ask- This is your first UWOL video from the northern hemisphere. Did you turn the camera over or just flip it in post? ;) (Sorry, couldn’t resist!)
Hahaha! Paul, will you reveal the answer? :)
Old April 4th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for your comments!

North versus South - Well, If I had only had some light stands, I would have flipped the camera, but of course, you can always fix it in post! Actually, a little know feature of the FS100, is the GPS always knows where you are, so it flips automatically! Now to try on the equator!

Subtitles - Im a bit unsure on the whole subject of subtitles - we have commented on this before, and I admit to having had difficulty myself in keeping up (on playback, not when I was writing them!). I dislike many of the documentary films I see here in Spain where there is an English VO on top of the original track, but maybe its because Im trying to listen to both.

By a lucky chance, the other astronomer (Miguel) has asked me for English lessons, so I will persuade him to record the VO in English, and upload a new version - I'm keen to see how it works, as I don't really like subtitles, as many of you commented, as they distract from the image.

Graphics - all in Apple Motion 5 - I'm no expert, but its a great tool, and works seamlessly with FCPX.

I have now received the rest of my gear (better late than never) - the only thing I would have done differently is a better location for the interview, as we were in the only shade available, and added a reflector or two.

We will make a longer version later in the year - these guys are amazing - Antonio, my close neighbor, is a professor of IT - his observatory is all remote controlled over the internet, and Miguel has built a sort of bunker, with the telescope on top, where he spends nights observing pulsing stars.

And I thought I was dedicated in building a home flight simulator......
Old April 4th, 2014, 01:39 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I believe the "subtitle or not" is all about what you are used to.
Up north here in the Scandinavian countries, we are used to have everything in the original language and the subtitles. So for me it was not an issue or distraction at all. I like that the native language was used.
Old April 5th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #12
Major Player

Out of academic interest, I edited a version with the aforementioned English language soundtrack - let me know what you think versus subtitles.

Thanks,

Last edited by Paul Wood; April 6th, 2014 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Updated sound mix
Old April 5th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Paul,

Ambitious indeed!
I don't mind the subtitles, personally, and I like hearing the original voice. But as far as your second version goes, I wouldn't sublimate the original track entirely. Instead, I would start at full volume, then reduce it dramatically so that his voice still follows his lips, but the level is so low that we can clearly hear your VO over it. Producers often use this technique for radio pieces here.
Finn Yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 06:57 PM   #14
Major Player

I like the first version best. As for the second version, I entirely agree with what Finn just wrote.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 02:40 AM   #15
Major Player

Thanks, guys,
I have remixed the sound, and changed the embedded video in the post above.

Last edited by Paul Wood; April 6th, 2014 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Updated link
Paul Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge