UWOL 31 "September Speaks" by Gordon Hoffman at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old October 1st, 2014, 03:19 PM   #1
Major Player

UWOL 31 "September Speaks" by Gordon Hoffman

Well September was an interesting month. I was expecting the fall colours to be a bit disappointing this year with the early snow and frost but things turned out pretty good overall.
I used a Panasonic GH3 to shoot this, other than one clip, and the 14-140 and 100-300 lenses. I was a little dumb and only took a flimsy tripod to cut down some wieght. I've been there before so I know better.
I admire people who can write up a good story for their videos.

Thanks for watching and I hope you enjoy it at least half as much as I did shooting this. Can't beat hiking in the mountains with scenery like that.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2014, 01:57 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: UWOL 31 "September Speaks" by Gordon Hoffman

Hi Gordon,

Lovely country you have there. You certainly had a mixture of weather to contend with. Like the mixture of both landscape and wildlife to portray the colours. Narration flowed well. Enjoyed watching

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2014, 03:16 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Gordon,

I watched a few times, and found it a very relaxing experience - the narration and images flowed well, and I also enjoyed the varied weather and scenery.

Very well done!
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:26 AM   #4
Trustee

Gordon,

I think this is probably one of your best films.
Loved the imagery and the composition. The GH3, did a great job.I have a hacked GH2, maybe I should take it out more often. :)
My only nitpicks were the titles.
The opening one seemed a little off from the subject matter with the brown stroke around it. Some blurred footage under it would have looked good too maybe instead of the just black.

On my iPad, the white text was a bit hard to see. If it had a 1 point stroke on it, it might have defined it better on my small screen.

Beautiful, beautiful imagery!

Hats off you you!!
Old October 3rd, 2014, 06:59 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Gordon,

As Kevin said, this is one of your best ones. Amazing to see how similar your nature is with what we have over here in Norway. Could have filmed together and people wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
(Maybe we should try that out sometime, haha)

I did not have any issues with the titles. Could see them clearly on both my computer screen (color calibrated screen) and on my phone.

Keep up your good work. I look forward to your next film.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 08:30 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Gordon

I enjoyed watching your film very much – to me this is one of your best films to date. The story is simple but, like Martijn, you have actually allowed colour to do much of the talking. Your story and images fit well with the theme. Your narration is coming on in leaps and bounds and I am glad this challenge has pushed you in that direction.

You had a varied September weather-wise and colour-wise for sure. Quite interesting to see how many animals moved down due to the snow – also interesting to see so many people stopped on the road to enjoy the bear.

I think it is because you had a light tripod for hiking purposes that you tended to go for static shots rather than pans and other moves so I understand the reason, but that is the one thing that struck me – too many static shots without a moving subject. Having said that, the tilts at 2:24 and 2:54 are very nice.

I got pulled up last time for jump cuts too but I do think some of the shots leading up to the one minute mark could have benefitted from a soft transition.

You have captured some stunning scenery Gordon – so glad you managed to submit this entry.

P.S. Just to say - If this seems similar to what others have commented on, it is obviously confirming stuff said before because I never read other people's comments before writing mine. :)
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:00 AM   #7
Major Player

Mick - Thanks. yes this area has a lot to offer for a person with a camera. Just have to be able to put up with some wind. When I was a kid this weather seemed more normal but haven't seen it like this much lately. Went to bed Wednesday night and woke up to 15 cm of snow Thursday morning.

Paul - Thanks alot. I had a lot of fun shooting this.

Kevin - Wow coming from you thanks a lot! Titles are something I struggle with. I originally had the opening title over a video clip but I ended up changing things and it didn't work for me then so I just put black under it. I need to spend more time on them. I've got a GH2 yet but never hacked it. What hack are you using? I've kept it because of the reach I can get in he ETC mode if I ever need it. Thanks again.

Trond - Thanks. Sure, come on over! I think I've mentioned it before but it seems we have very similar scenery. A person does have to consider what people are viewing these videos on nowdays.

Gordon
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:27 AM   #8
Major Player

Marj - The way things turned out for me colour was easy this year. I have a real problem writing stuff for my videos. Just can't come up with much for ideas.
The bear was in a national park so a lot tourist come to see that kind of stuff. Besides the bear was walking down the road in no big hurry.
Yea the tripod really was a bad choice. Old age I guess.
I agree there was some cuts that needed some work and maybe some I thought did work. I played around with some but as usaul, it was a case of me waiting to long to finish and things just were not coming together so I let them go. I'll have to do better.
I really appreciate your comments.Thanks

Gordon
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:08 AM   #9
Trustee

Hello Gordon.
Your video is completely in line with what I want out of a wilderness movie.
You have a calm and balanced VO, which takes the viewer on a nice trip through an excellent and colorful landscape. You have chosen to focus on the month of September and the various creatures spice it all and especially the scene where the grouse eat berries. I assume that's what it eats?
I really like that you have small breaks in VO and let the pictures speak for themselves. I see this as you allow the viewer to be part of the story and think their own thoughts. Meanwhile, the video does not cut too much into small pieces with hasty cuts - giving the video a comfortable and peaceful expression. I just love it.
Is the type of wood a larch which has the bright green color? Beautifully and thank you for sharing.
Old October 4th, 2014, 01:11 PM   #10
Major Player

Gordon, I really like the way you mix the voice over with the music and especially how it began and ended, voice first, setting up the viewer then mixing in the music as the scene changed.
So, the scene at 1:41 answers that old question about bears, eh?
A really great mix of scenes and vistas, what a nice part of the world that is.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 06:14 AM   #11
Major Player

Geir Inge - Thanks for the feed back. I had a great day shooting and for once had more footage than I needed.
The grouse was feeding on the last of the huckleberries. I wasn't sure if the gaps in my narration would be a little distracting.
The larch are alpine larch. We have western larch here also but they grow at lower elevations. They are beautiful in the fall before they shed their needles when they change to bright yellow.
Thanks again

Bill - Thanks Bill. Well I'm not sure if the question is answered yet but for this one it is! Yes this is a very scenic piece of country.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge