UWOL #32 The Miracle Element by Kevin J Railsback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old January 5th, 2015, 01:40 PM   #1
Trustee

UWOL #32 The Miracle Element by Kevin J Railsback

Plan A failed.
Plan B failed.
Plan C was conceived about two hours before I turned in for the night just before the deadline.

Of course, conditions for Plan A will be perfect today!

This is kind of a throwback to my earlier fluff pieces. No story, no direction, just some nice footage of water and ice.

As I already had the music picked out before I even picked up the camera it was easy just to grab some shots and lay them down on the timeline. I guess my method of picking the music before anything else worked to my advantage this time.

I'd say hack it apart but there's really nothing to hack apart. It's just some music and a few video clips.

Next round I'm not going to let anyone or anything stop me from picking up the camera.

Spending more than a month away from the camera is not good for my mental health.
Filming the water was truly a sanity saver.
Old January 6th, 2015, 07:53 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: UWOL #32 The Miracle Element by Kevin J Railsback

Hello Kevin.
Sorry that the first plans were ruined, but happy that you have delivered.
You are really nr 3 on my list of feedback, but since Andrew Hood has not made feedback thread yet, you jump forward on my list.

You always gives us great images with great music, you deliver this time too.
Editing rhythm is great and it glides along with great music.
This is something you're good at, show us the details of nature's many wonders and miracles.
I love the movement that water creates in contact with the ice, a beautiful, natural effect.
What I sometimes miss in your videos is the narrator.
Although the video allows the viewer to think his own story, a narrator could added that "little extra".
I think that your video is well within the theme, where water is the main actor.
I think I miss some foley sound effects of water and ice, but maybe you've thought the music as a number two main actor?

Well done my friend.
Old January 6th, 2015, 05:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Kevin,
It's true. You are the master of water...always have been. But it's not just the water that distinguishes your videos. It's the way you always seem to get the light interacting with it. I always learn something watching your stuff.

Thanks.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 05:45 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Kevin,

It is said that "Less is more," and this is a good example of that, doing everything in an hour.

I really like the light effects of the running water under the ice. Wish you had a few extreme close ups too, that would have been great!

Thank you for sharing, I enjoyed watching.
Maybe I should try pick the music first for a change. It obviously worked well for you here.

Well done, Mr Yeti!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 06:08 AM   #5
Major Player

Kevin,

I simply love the way you have filmed the water and ice, visually has a nice impact , the music really goes very well with the visuals which makes it more pleasing for the viewer.
Since this was a miracle element even one shot of some being interacting with water would have made a great difference to the video, however with 2 plans failing and this you coming up in last 2 hours is a commendable achievement .

Your water video really inspires me to shoot more water .

cheers
vishal
Vishal Jadhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 08:22 AM   #6
Major Player

Kevin you have a shooting style that allows you to notice the little things. That is one thing I noticed with me when I got into shooting video is how much a person never noticed before. I agree with you that getting out in nature with a camera has something relaxing about it.
Sometimes a fluff piece is nice to watch.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 02:21 PM   #7
Major Player

Kevin,

My notes are pretty well all covered above - I really enjoyes the choice of the music and the excellent quality of the shots fitted really well.

My congratulations - and has already been said - you have a way with the camera and nature - I watched a couple of your videos on your website a few weeks back, and learned a lot!

Last edited by Paul Wood; January 7th, 2015 at 02:21 PM. Reason: typo
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 04:53 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Kevin, I know what it is like to have a plan fail. This round I had planned to do a piece on our local river , the river Arun, allegedly the second fastest flowing river at its mouth in England. They are undertaking a lot flooding defence work which I though would fit in well with my planned story "Power of the elements" unfortunately when I cut it together I could not portray the drama and jeopardy that I wished with rushes I had, hence like you a last minute change of plan

Lovely well filmed clips, pleased you manage to complete an entry this round

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 08:08 AM   #9
Major Player

Kevin, nice job on pulling something together at the 'final hour'.

I like the interplay between the water, ice, air(bubbles) and light.
A lot of water in this round, but I suspect that's because it's dynamic (more so than solids) and visible (unlike many gases).

The shots and music seemed to complement, and stand alone without narration.
Only a month?... dread to think how long some of my cameras have gathered dust, even when they were the main one.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 01:22 PM   #10
Major Player

Hi Kevin

I don’t think there is much I can add to this - nobody here could possibly doubt your expertise with the camera and your masterful handling of light. Your images are perfectly timed to the music. Most relaxing to watch. So glad you managed to get something up Kevin. Really look forward to seeing a Kevin Railsback film festival entry from you once again! Hopefully next round?
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 05:17 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Kevin,

Truly a most relaxing piece, I wish I had an hour of it to watch today, I could have used the transcendant break. I loved the ice shot that looked like an aligator head pointing into the water. Inspired me to think I should get out whenever the thaw starts and shoot Ice shots of artistic images!!!
favorite shot is the closing shot at 2:26, that was my money shot really!!

You always inspire me!!

dale

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge