DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #32 - Our Universe by Andrew Hood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/526360-uwol-32-our-universe-andrew-hood.html)

Andrew Hood January 7th, 2015 10:54 PM

UWOL #32 - Our Universe by Andrew Hood

OK, the storms have settled down a little so I'm not as worried about everything getting fried. Where were they a few days ago for my fire element? Oh wait... the thunder seems to be getting louder again, must be more on the way.

Like usual I didn't start this one early enough or have a concrete idea to guide it. Yes I had an idea, but never really comes together till the edit. I was going to do a video about Gold and some of the gold mining in the area - being it's an element that exists in pure form in nature, and had a profound impact on people's behavior, but I read Trond's clarification as - we should focus on the 4 elements (or one of at least).
So I wanted to show how they interact to some extent - I had other locations I would have liked to visit, but time gets away from you fast. Wanted to get some Sun shots too (using the 1300mm) - but need a proper filter, my attempt at using old 3 1/4" floppy drive material warped before I got round to attaching my camera, luckily - or could have fried it.

Had a great day filming down at Wilsons Promontory on the beach - only saw a small section of the park due to time limits. The day just disappears when you're exploring a place like that - but I'm already looking forward to the next trip... whenever that is. So many other places to see. But might need to camp out to get the best lighting, and see some of the wildlife. Was really nice to have a wedge-tailed eagle fly past too - been wanting to film one.

I'll go with a level 2 for feedback. I feel good having finished something, but realise there are lots of improvements for future work. Even the name was a last minute decision that barely suits it - but nobody else picked that name. I wonder what I could manage if I started with a concrete idea early and get out filming things before the halfway point in the month? But then I might overthink it.

Gordon Hoffman January 8th, 2015 02:31 AM

Re: UWOL #32 - Our Universe by Andrew Hood

Andrew - Well done. I really liked your narration and the video flowed nicely.

Gordon

Geir Inge January 8th, 2015 02:55 AM

Hi Andrew.
Nice video you submit, with appropriate music.
The music fits well for the title you have chosen as well.
I like your narration, it has a nice pace and flows well with the video/story.
The scene where you talk about the four elements and tilts from earth to the sun is a good choice.
No, even better ... it's a smart choice.
I also like the way you tell about how the elements interact.
The clip of the beach / horizon, starting at 1:30, maybe it's a bit too long?
Nice seagull starts at 0:50, beautifully beak with lipstick on.

I like your video and thanks for sharing.

Vishal Jadhav January 8th, 2015 03:26 AM

I like the video

Flows well with the music, the gull is what i liked too. This runs very well over the time with the music.

i like it

vishal

Paul Wood January 8th, 2015 04:12 AM

Hi Andrew,

I really enjoyed your film - the commentary and music fit very well with the flow of images. The quality of the shots is fantastic, and I suppose if I were being picky I would agree with Geir Inge about the beach/sky shot, but I think you surpassed at 2.10 where you link the elements - water take shape from the earth etc.

Thanks!

Mick Jenner January 8th, 2015 04:57 AM

Paul, absolutely loved your film I think you have nailed it this round. The editing, music and narration was spot on. I have nothing else to add.

Mick

Trond Saetre January 8th, 2015 09:04 AM

Hi Andrew,

Hope the recent storm wasn't too bad for you.

I agree with what has been said already. You really made a very good film here.
Your narration is good and easy to understand.
I always learn something new from your films.

I look forward to see more from you!

Marj Atkins January 9th, 2015 01:26 PM

Hi Andrew

I’m running out of adjectives. This is simply stunning and hits the nail on the head as far as the theme goes.

The concept is interesting albeit quite ambitious but I think you managed to simplify things enough to make a plausible story comparing the old with the new ideas of the elements.

Your story is well organized and flows well. The overall quality of your footage and framing is very good. Nice time lapses. I do feel though that your next step could be to play with camera movement and different camera angles – most of your shots are static. Having said that though, the tilt at 00.40 was a stroke of genius and illustrated the four elements so elegantly!

You have supported the story with appropriate images although one image that seems out of place in this film is the ice melting on the plate – I am certain you could have done something more imaginative and natural with it – at least let it melt on a rock or ground or something?
BTW - I have never seen a seagull land backwards at speed like that. I did a double take – at first I thought you had reversed the footage! I guess there was a really strong wind :)

Your VO is professional quality – you have a very pleasant voice - easy to listen to. I liked your choice of music and I think it is well balanced volume-wise with the VO – does not distract. I definitely miss the natural sounds.

I find your titles too large and bland – somehow they detract from your beautiful footage. I can sympathize though– many times my titles have been the last to be done without too much thought at all.

Just a couple of small things: At 1:12 you use the word ‘analogue’ instead of ‘analogy’ and I wonder if the universe can be ‘full of curiosity’. (perhaps ‘gives rise to much curiosity’ would be better??)

Well done on a most enjoyable entry!

Andrew Hood January 10th, 2015 07:47 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I totally agree with the mid-film timelapse being too long. I felt that before I submitted it, but couldn't decide on an alternative shot I thought fit better. That's the problem with editing late, you start compromising more. I just wanted something that 'transcended' time, but I'll have another look at what shots might work - the benefit of hindsight... There were quite a few shots I wanted to include, but they didn't fit the narrative.

Marj, you're such a dedicated observer, I really appreciate the feedback - you've identified my misgivings with some of the points, and given me food for thought with the others. I wanted more movement, but either my pans weren't good enough, or the shot didn't fit anywhere (maybe I'm too picky). Something to plan for in future shoots. The ice melting was done while I was doing the main editing, and literally 'dropped in' quite late - Geir's was much better. The titles were done in around 5 minutes - and it shows. Definitely something to dedicate more time and effort to next time. Again the natural sounds with this round - had issues with the audio which I'll have to look into (been fine every other time). I did record a small amount of sound (wind and waves) with the Zoom recorder but ran out of time to blend that into appropriate scenes.

I'm planning to edit together some footage just of Wilson's Promontory shortly - and I'll try and incorporate some of the suggestions.

Marj Atkins January 11th, 2015 11:12 AM

Hope you'll post the results here when you complete it.

Andrew Hood January 18th, 2015 07:59 AM

My TV(monitor) is very intermittent at the moment - been making it hard to edit. Was playing up during editing for UWOL, but not as bad. So I've got a makeshift setup of the 23" on a couple of storage containers just to get this one 'done'.

Playing around with some of the ideas here, and other bits I wanted to try. You can lose days / weeks in After Effects and wonder what you have to show for it - suppose with more practice and tutorials it will get easier.

So here is a video of just Wilsons Prom - and this only represents a small part of it - probably should have included an animated map in there... maybe I'll figure out how at a later time...
And no VO in this one - the images speak for themselves.

Marj Atkins February 21st, 2015 12:09 PM

Hi Andrew

I take my hat off to you for pushing through with this project. Lovely images – they make me want to visit.

I love your idea of making a postcard for Wilson’s Prom – I think creating a video postcard would make a cool topic for the UWOL Challenge sometime! :)

I wasn’t sure if I should comment about the titles or not but seeing as I commented on your titles previously I thought it only reasonable to do so because you have really made some dramatic improvements. I really like the idea of the wave wiping out the title – I think you got that AE technique spot on. There are two things that might improve the title though: the choice and style of the font - perhaps something less formal to fit the context? The second would be to change the combination of the vertical (by default) tilt and the oblique title and wave. (I would imagine that you were restricted by the shots you had available! This sort of title would have to be planned deliberately to get everything squared up.)

The font you used for the informational text was quite heavy for the purpose but I found the info popping on and off and moving around more distracting.

Speaking here with my designer hat - the purpose of the title is an important consideration and it should be designed to fulfill that purpose. Best practice for incidental info titles, particularly in a nature film like this, would be to keep them simple and legible (and preferably small in size) as they are giving information for interest sake only. Bottom third of frame is usually best position.

Hope this helps and sorry it is so late - I was dumped in at the deep end at the start of the year. Best wishes with going back to uni although I really do hope that you will still get time to participate here!