DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL "get together" event 2016? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/526664-uwol-get-together-event-2016-a.html)

Trond Saetre April 1st, 2015 12:42 PM

Re: UWOL "get together" event 2016?

Bumping this thread up, so you all will notice it.

During the next month or so, we should deside where and when to go.

Martijn Damen April 3rd, 2015 01:18 PM

The cost of the whole trip is a key factor in this I think, and maybe therefore there could be 2 or 3 meetings at the same time on different continents, with video conference facilities (skype or something) .. so we can sort of get to know every one personally ...
Although it would be a blast to all get together in one place, if that doesn't work, this might be an other option?

Trond Saetre April 3rd, 2015 01:35 PM

Cost is definitely a major factor in this. And this will of course vary with travel distance.
That is why we plan with next year, so people have a chance to save up for the expences.

For me, the idea with a get together, is all (as in one place at the time) or nothing. Having simultanious meetings in different areas takes away the "get together" idea.

Vishal Jadhav April 3rd, 2015 10:41 PM

Interesting idea of having multiple meetings, however since no one is on my side of the world it may not be interesting for me :)

I am still with the idea of Wildscreen as i have decided that i am going to go 90% to this event.

Guess with the suggestions that have come in , we actually can have a vote for the destinations and may be choose the one which most of us think is possible to make it next year.

vishal

Tim Paynter April 5th, 2015 11:30 PM

If we go to Wildscreen we will all wish we had gone to South Africa. In Colorado, we work with pool photographers, maybe we could do that for the jeep trip in Africa... kind of kidding there... But really, with the talent in this group, someone could do the Jeep photography and someone else tell the rest of the story with someone else doing the editing in a short doc to be made for the benefit of the people...I liked that idea, giving back a little, instead of taking...

Trond Saetre April 22nd, 2015 02:25 AM

So far we have these suggestions for location:

1. Bristol UK October 2016 to coincide with Wildscreen Home Page | Wildscreen Film Festival
2. Norway - (Kvamsøy or somewhere else)
3. Jackson Hole Wildlife Film Festival (Not until 2017?) - Yellowstone area

How about we deside by a simple voting which location gets most votes, and that is the place to go for 2016?

I suggest that we are open for suggestions of locations until the end of this month, and then shortly after, do the voting.
That way, we should have a desition during May.
Sounds good?

Mike Sims April 22nd, 2015 06:39 AM

It is extremely unlikely that I will be able to attend where ever you decide to meet, however, I think you should really consider the 39th International Wildlife Film Festival in Missoula Montana rather than the smaller and less prestigious one in Jackson Hole. It is usually in April but the dates for 2016 won’t be announced for a few days as the 38th IWFF is going on right now.

Trond Saetre April 22nd, 2015 09:59 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, Mike!

Geir Inge April 22nd, 2015 11:00 AM

Hei to you all :)
Just want to give some info about my area over here in Norway.
First I must say that my father is doing well and is now out of hospital, so I'm almost back in business as usual :)

I have earlier voted for England and Bristol and I still do.
If most people want to join together in Norway, here is one suggestion: "The bird cliff island of Runde".
Accommodation is to be found on the island and in the near by city of Fosnavag (15 min drive from Runde).

Christineborg: http://booking.visitalesund.com/100/...&infomenutab=1
Runde Environmental Centre: Runde Environmental Centre - Runde Miljøsenter
Fosnavag: Thon Hotel Fosnavåg - Thon Hotels

At Runde you can see the southern most bird cliff in Norway and more then 70 species have been located.
I guess the month of May, June and July will be the best. Often the last part of May can show the best of weather ;)
At Runde Environmental Centre you can watch the silver and gold treasure of Runde, lectures on environmental issues and meet international researchers on environment.
In this area it is not far from:
1) The jugend city Aalesund: The Art Nouveau town of Ålesund - Alesund
2) Atlanterhavsparken ( in the city of Aalesund): Atlanterhavsparken - Welcome
3) The Geiranger fjord (World Heritage): Geiranger.no - Geiranger.no
4) Trollstigveien (World Heritage): Geiranger - Trollstigen National Tourist Route - Official Travel Guide to Norway - visitnorway.com
5) Herdalssetra (World Heritage): Herdalssetra Mountain Summer Farm*and Dale Fjord Farm |

So in one week, we can get to see different things regarding environment and UWOL issues ;)

If Trond is with me, we can stitch together a nice package of adventure. Norway is an expensive country, so I can try to negotiate a "nice" deal with my contacts at Runde and Geiranger.
Maybe we can get our own private eagle guide, with us on the trip?

OK, this was Norway promo - I hope Bristol gets involved :)

Trond Saetre April 22nd, 2015 04:07 PM

If Norway becomes the chosen destination, then Geir Inge's suggestion is a very good idea. It is a great area.

Vishal Jadhav April 23rd, 2015 09:49 AM

I decided to go Bristol / Wildscreen nearly year back so my vote stays there on Wildscreen

In case we come to counting votes at the end.

vishal

Simon Wood April 23rd, 2015 03:25 PM

A list of wildlife festivals internationally:
Wildlife-film.com - Festivals

I hear his is a good one in South Africa:
ABSA Kirkwood Wildlife Festival. Kirkwood Events. Where to Stay

Kevin Railsback April 23rd, 2015 04:24 PM

So are most people thinking they want to get together and attend a film festival?

I'm looking to go where I can shoot some footage. Don't really have any interest in film festivals unless I'm supporting someone that has a film in the festival.

Heck, I've never been to the Jackson Hole Wildlife Film Festival and that's the big one here in the US.

Trond Saetre April 24th, 2015 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Railsback (Post 1884339)
I'm looking to go where I can shoot some footage.

This would be my primary interest too.

Mick Jenner April 24th, 2015 05:26 AM

As Wildscreen was originally my suggestion I should explain that although held in Bristol town centre the area around there, particularly the Somerset Levels offer great filming opportunities, including at that time of the year large starling murmurations. What I would add is that filming wildlife in the UK is not easy and does require quite a bit dedication and time. For those of you looking for good easy filming this is probably not the trip for you. On the other hand if you want to educate yourselves as to what it takes get noticed in the wildlife film business, learn new skills and techniques, plus rub shoulders and learn from the best in the industry this option would be for you. Wildscreen is much more than a film festival, best described as a convention that includes workshops and seminars with a film festival attached.

May I throw a spanner in the works and suggest another location Extrmedura, Spain. Please google to see whats on offer. Although I have not visited I have many friends who have and rate it as excellent for wildlife. You would need to be looking at April or May .

If Africa floats your boat I do have good contacts in Kenya and Tanzania. In Kenya I have used Porini Safari Camps - Award Winning Eco Camps in Kenya. Jake the director could certainly work out a good deal for us, obviously dependent on numbers. His price would be in dollars not including international flights.
In Tanzania I know of a fixer who also has a small camp and could organise things for us. For either Kenya or Tanzania I would be happy to organise some costings etc, but would need to know some numbers. again this would be for the safari not the international flights Also remember you do need various jabs and anti malaria medication and visa's.