Uwol#33 - Golden Moments by Geir Inge B. Brekke at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 2nd, 2015, 03:57 AM   #1
Trustee

Uwol#33 - Golden Moments by Geir Inge B. Brekke

I had a plan to film solar eclipse, sunset, aurora and the European toad.
The plan had to be changed several times due to bad weather and other circumstances.
I got little time for editing and the final end product is characterized by this.
Eventually I just had to create a story around the shots I had, and it's become a bit rusty and shaky.
And even more, I've uploaded the wrong version.
I had a recent version with different ending music and some clips with stabilizer on.
I counted some buttons if I should deliver or not this round.
Nevertheless, this was the short version of my video and here it is.

Old April 2nd, 2015, 09:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Uwol#33 - Golden Moments by Geir Inge B. Brekke

Hi, Geir Inge. I’m glad you did decide to post a film for this round. I love that phrase “I counted some buttons…”- I think it just entered my vocabulary! I’m sorry you missed the toads. I hope you will be able to go back later for them. I have to agree that the idea for building the “tunnel of love” came from a wise man. As usual, you have shared some spectacular images with us. The aurora footage is as good as the best I had ever seen before. I hope you will share with us your technique for capturing the aurora. You did a fine job of adapting when your plans did not work out and gave us another high quality GIBB production. Thank-you.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 12:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Geir Inge,

Glad you decided to submit your video, you always have special way in your videos.

With your main plan of the toads not working, i think you have still got nice footage and very nicely put it together. For all the meaning of golden hour is different and i like how you told the toad story also the idea that people came up with of building tunnels under the road, its so nice to see unique conservation practices around the world, this one is sure something that can be implemented all over.
There is a similar initiative was taken up in US for the Pronghorn antelope building over passes and some underpasses for them to cross the road and avoid the vehicles.

The Aurora captured by you is an incredible show, kinda watched it many times.

I like the video.

vishal
Vishal Jadhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 11:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hei Geir Inge,

I'm glad you chose to submit your entry. Was a pleasure to watch.
Nice how the sunset transited into the northern light shots. Did you use the 5D to capture the northern light?

Noticed the panning of the aerial footage was a little shaky. Probably turbulence in the air?
Have you got a gimbal for the phantom yet?

Well done!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2015, 12:06 PM   #5
Major Player

Geir, Well done for getting an entry together after all your trials and tribulations. As you have not asked for any feed back so I won't give any. But, what you did submit I very much enjoyed

I liked what you planned to do, like you I was thwarted by unseasonal weather and had to change from my original plan.

We have road signs warning of wild animals and wild animal underpasses over here as well as well. During February we have many Frog/Toad patrols all over the country picking them up from the edges of major roads in order to stop them being run over.

Thanks for posting

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 03:55 AM   #6
Trustee

Just for the record: As long as I put out a feedback thread, I want your comments on my video.
So feel free :)

I've been gone a few days at Easter holiday, and celebrated my brother's 50th birthday and my daughter 24 birthday. I have just got time to see one of the videos, as I have had occasional web access.
Now I am back and will give my comments as soon as I have watch the rest of this round videos.

Mike:
I used my Canon 5D Mark3 camera for the aurora. I have to use a timer and took pictures every 5 sec and use a tripod. I try to focus on one of the objects/stars at the sky to get a clear picture. For these shots it took pictures for a couple hours or so.

Vishal:
Thank you for nice words.
To avoid toads will be driven to death, the road builder hired two people who get two months salary to carry buckets of toads across the road - in the middle of the night.
12000 toads migrate annually across the road.
A friend I have who have made a film of the toads, shown on national television, told me later that the toads migrate in April / May.

Trond:
Thank you for nice comments.
No, I have not bought me a gimbal for the Phantom, yet.
And yes, I use my 5D camera for the aurora.
The day after uploading deadline, I discovered that the wrong version was uploaded.
I need more than buying a gimbal. I need new glasses, haha.

Mick:
Thanks for nice words, Mick.
I more than welcome your comments. Feel free ;)
The state spent several million Norwegian kroner on the road project, called Kvivsvegen.
And some of the Norwegian crowns were favored for the toads.
Attached is a picture from when they carried toads in buckets.
Attached Thumbnails
Uwol#33 - Golden Moments by Geir Inge B. Brekke-paddebotte.jpg  
Old April 5th, 2015, 06:29 AM   #7
Major Player

Geir, you always seem to have an interesting story to tell in your videos. Obviously it's harder when the plan changes, but great to have your entry as part of round 33.

Some very picturesque scenery you've captured. It would be great if you'd had the time to complete the film as intended, and been able to find the toads. Although the trials and challenges are half the story in this case.

The aurora was great to see. It felt a bit jarring with the change in music at that point (although you said you've changed that in the newer version) but the new music did fit with the footage, It might have been less startling with a short fade-in over a couple of seconds.

Maybe you'll get a chance to find the toads and see if the tunnels really work. It just might not fit in with the next round, for UWOL 34.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 12:01 PM   #8
Major Player

Geir - You are a born story teller. I love the way you make the difficulties you experienced all down the line become the story.

I won't go into the technical wobblies in this film because I know it was cobbled together as a last minute decision and I have no doubt that you know exactly where the problems are.

Your establishing shot was stunning - so were your sunset shots at the end! (Fantastic aurora at the end too.) The quadcopter is an amazing gizmo – gets you into all sorts of places you would otherwise not be able to film! The aerial shots definitely add perspective to this story, enriching the viewer’s experience. I enjoyed seeing you clamber through the toad sculpture – adds a warm touch to this.

So glad you counted the right number of buttons Geir and look forward to seeing those toads! I guess we had better ask Trond nicely to give us a theme in May that will accommodate them. :)
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge