Tales of wonders and woes - UWOL 34 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old May 11th, 2015, 10:32 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Tales of wonders and woes - UWOL 34

Martijn,

What's the worst that can happen? Everyone says we didn't follow the intent of the theme?

Otherwise I guess I could plant a corn seed sandwiched between two pieces of glass and make a four minute film of the roots spreading through the dirt.

If I can make my film it will be because of what happens at ground level but not all be shot at ground level.
Old May 11th, 2015, 10:36 AM   #17
Major Player

Well I am with you too Kevin (and Martjin). I think that the theme works best when its left entirely to the discretion of the contestant. At the sake of repetition, I would say that in the past there would be literal interpretations of the theme, as well as more allegorical or metaphorical interpretations, and the contest was all the more interesting because of it. You never knew what people were going to come up with.

Down-to-earth is an expression in the English language, meaning pragmatic, and it could also be interpreted in other ways (such as arboreal creatures coming down to earth, or airborne creatures). From the extreme sport side it could be interpreted as any kind of landing, from kitesufers, or paragliders. For the time-lapse aficionados it could be used for meteor showers etc. For the drone guys it could have been a goldmine of ideas.

However the preamble (and subsequent discussions about it in the theme thread) made it clear that the theme was to be funnelled down to a more literal interpretation, at ground level, in the soil etc. So, the preamble has been one of my woes this round, rather than a wonder, but I'll try to work with it.

But as you say Kevin, its better to make a film that skirts the theme rather than make none at all. My last UWOL entry went that way (flew too wide of the theme), but ended up being one of my most popular non-professional videos afterwards.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 11:41 PM   #18
Major Player

Guess i am still going with the literal interpretation and sticking to the ground level as possible, few days of dry spells has given me better time in the field.
Not sure if i have the shots that i need but may be will start editing and then figure out the missing shots and again scout for them if possible.

Hopefully this plan works

vishal
Vishal Jadhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 12:01 AM   #19
Major Player

Ahh Got some footage and lost the story , interesting

Currently i am with decent footage but absolute zero on the story line, now thats a big problem.

Guess i need to take a break and leave the project as it is for a week and then re look at it, may get a idea of how i can do it.

Does any one face such a issue, i was so intent on getting footage that traveled a lot and got footage, and in the act lost what i wanted to make. Guess thats why the commercial films have all jobs segregated, story, script, editing, cinematography, etc.

currently lost somewhere .....................
Old May 16th, 2015, 07:42 AM   #20
Major Player

It is not unusual to lose the original story along the way or even to have to abandon it outright because something expected either didn’t happen at all or it happened in a manner not expected. There is still lots of time. My problem has been that I got a late start (We have had an unusual amount of rain and my field work contracts ran longer than anticipated.) When I did get started I did not have any story idea. I just started shooting to see what I could come up with as Kevin outlined in the start up thread. Although I have collected some clips that might fit the theme it wasn’t working for me. I didn’t have any idea how to fit the footage together much less tell a story. I was uncomfortable because I’m usually- “The story is the plan. Plan the shoot. Shoot the plan.” Then I use the nuggets from the type of footage I have been getting so far as B-roll for the story. The problem was that I had no story and no idea for one. It was looking like the Shark Tank for me it seemed. -- Then I had a strange encounter in the dark. No doubt I will relate it in full in my feedback thread if I get that far. The upshot is that I now have an idea of how to connect my disparate footage together and tell a story. Now to figure out if I can make the story interesting. It will require a good bit more shooting but, as I said, still lots of time. The main thing is don’t anyone give up because it isn’t going smoothly. Inspiration can come when least expected.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 07:48 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Same here, Mike. I have shot a few things, and hopefully I will be able to use it whenever a bright idea show up.

Sometimes during previous challenges I have finally got an idea just hours before deadline, and still managed to deliver. It can be done.

Still plenty time until deadline.
(Next time the theme won't be directed as detailed as this one.)
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 10:18 AM   #22
Major Player

Goodness! the things that don't go on at ground level! Wow.

Good to hear things are progressing for some. Really looking forward to seeing the videos this round.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 01:36 AM   #23
Major Player

I have been rushing around trying to finish 2 short films for another competition (the Rode Reel film competition that was advertised here), but it finally came together.

If you'd like to help out a fellow UWOL'er then please go and vote for me (through Facebook or if you have a Rode microphone account) and even watch the 2 videos:

Soundcheck - The Remix #?MyRodeReel?

Meanwhile, I am back on track with this project - I have a shoot scheduled on this Thursday morning to see if I can get a grip on the story. Its an interesting, natural, and very earthy story, if only I can figure out how to tell it...
Old May 19th, 2015, 11:28 PM   #24
Major Player

Simon,

The video is nice , voted.

I am still finding my story.

vishal
Old May 21st, 2015, 06:44 AM   #25
Major Player

Thanks Vishal, appreciate it.

Filmed some more footage early this morning, have another shoot scheduled this Saturday, hopefully that will be enought to provide for the story.

I'm aiming for something very minimalistic here though...
Old May 21st, 2015, 11:43 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Voted for you, Simon - I think.
Hit the yellow "vote" button, and then nothing happend as far as I could see.
Good luck anyway!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 12:52 PM   #27
Major Player

Wish you all the best Simon!

My story took quite a dramatic turn on Saturday when I was busy scrounging around looking for supporting footage for my original story.

Thankfully I now have my rough cut laid out. (I wasn't sure I would manage to finish an entry this round - just goes to show.)
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2015, 02:49 AM   #28
Major Player

Well, my plan A didn't come off, mainly due to time pressures, and I arrived in the UK yesterday evening for a visit my family, (armed only with a very minimal camera kit), so now to formulate a plan B, find a location, and get something done.
Still plenty of time......

Also voted Simon - I enjoyed the film too.
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2015, 05:46 AM   #29
Major Player

I am not sure this time around i may be able to finish , or land up in the Shark tank.

As i reviewed my footage i have something missing and now can't get it, can i request to use exact 2 seconds of footage filmed in April 2015. Not sure i will have it in during my final edit if i do one but i feel it may be helpful.

As of now i have completely lost track of this and getting worried.

vishal
Old May 22nd, 2015, 11:09 AM   #30
Major Player

Hi Vishal - You may use previously shot footage as per this rule:

"Previously shot footage, as long as it is a minor part, for educational or illustrative purposes, was shot by yourself, and not the main story/feature of your entry, is permissible. The use of this footage must be declared in your feedback thread."

By way of encouragement - I have a suggestion that may help regarding your story. Don't lock yourself into one idea or one angle only. Try to find other things with which your lizard is associated in its environment and pad your story with those things like you did for your fox film.

You could read up about the lizard, if you haven't already, so you know what shots to look out for and film. Keep your story short if necessary. You don't have to make a four minute film! Do a one minute film if that's all you can pull together. The main thing is to finish something.

Also if your story is short why not use the opportunity to do a narration this time. Tell us briefly about your subject - basically what is going on (or not going on) in your story. Just work with what you have and at least learn how to do something along the way despite the challenges you have. :)
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge