UWOL#34 - Back to the Earth - Paul Wood at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 1st, 2015, 01:06 PM   #1
Major Player

UWOL#34 - Back to the Earth - Paul Wood

My original plan was to centre on the asparagus - which grows wild in abundance near our house in Spain, and is highly sought after by us locals - however, an unplanned visit to England before I had a chance to shoot brought a change of plan.
A trip to a local woodland gave rise to this ad hoc entry - a theme came together during my morning there, and here we are - planned, shot and edited in a day.
I certainly missed having tripod with me (yes, I know you can see that), but managed in the end, with my trusty NX70.

All comments/criticism welcome :)

Last edited by Paul Wood; June 1st, 2015 at 01:23 PM. Reason: added link
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 01:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: UWOL#34 - Back to the Earth - Paul Wood

Paul,

Nice choice of film, calmness can be felt.

I love the way you take the viewer through the country side.

Whom does the dwelling belong to ?

i did not notice the missing tripod. Guess working in super windy conditions at my end every thing shakes including me :)

Nice film over all.

cheers
Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:37 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Paul
So good you managed to submit an entry this round despite the challenges you faced. I am also happy to see that you tackled aspects of woodland recycling for this topic, making for a different and unique interpretation of the theme.

I enjoyed your video - your story is simple and interesting and well narrated with some well-shot footage to support it. I think you did very well without the use of a tripod – not too many wobbly shots in there.

Your titles are spectacular and grandiose and very well done but I personally feel they were a bit over the top for your tranquil, low-key sylvan story.

The woodland dwelling you stumbled across brought back happy memories of a day during my childhood when we went as a group on an outing to a farm for a picnic. They organized a competition for the children to see who could build the best house using branches. I remember clearly that we used branches from invasive saplings/trees – not sure if that was part of their plan or not but I trust so. Most finished products ended up looking pretty much like your rustic dwelling!

Thanks for the enjoyable watch.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 02:08 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Paul,

I like your calm narrative style of storytelling.
The visuals really backed up the story. So all in all a great film!

Don't know what editing software you use, but Premiere Pro (and probably the others too) has a "warp stabilizer" which works pretty well with handheld footage.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 02:27 AM   #5
Trustee

Hi Paul

As a child, I played a lot on the shore, but also in the woods that lay next to my parents' home. My comrades and I had a lot of pleasure from the game and I firmly believe it has affected my enjoyment of nature and the creatures that live in it.
I am very grateful that you made this contribution to Uwol.

Nice flow and combination of music, background audio and VO.
You mention the lack of tripod.
It's unnatural that everything in nature must be static, but a certain calm in the footage is an advantage for the viewer.
Well, as I see it. Hand held shooting, can contribute more to the video than it takes away. I think this adds more life to your video.
Decomposition of organic materials, is an important part of nature's cycle.
You deliver in line with the theme and I completely agree with you. I perceive Englishmen as down to earth people.
Finally, I was genuinely happy when the deer appeared towards the end of the video.
It was the finishing touch.

Great delivered and thanks for sharing.
Old June 4th, 2015, 01:08 PM   #6
Major Player

Thank you all for your comments.

I discovered on leaving the park that as it was holiday weekend in the UK, there was a competition (I think aimed at schools) to build your own shelter - in fact I did see another, but as we got a bit lost, wasn't able to find my way back to film it!

To answer both Marj and Trond, I use FCPX to edit, and it does have a stabiliser, but I used another trick, which was to film at 50p, and edit at 25p, meaning I could easily conform the speed (to half) of shaky footage, which I did in few of the shots - and the titles - yes, completely over the top, but I needed and excuse the use the recently released 3D titles!

I'm glad you enjoyed the film, and the subject is quite in keeping with the theme, which was also a surprise to me, as it only occurred to me when I saw the first fallen tree.

So no excuses for next round!
Paul Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge