DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   The Shark tank - UWOL 35 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/529522-shark-tank-uwol-35-a.html)

Trond Saetre August 27th, 2015 12:03 PM

The Shark tank - UWOL 35

Who is swimming with the sharks?
If you signed up and don't submit an entry, this is the place to put your name.

But do remember, it is still many uwol hours until deadline at midnight August 31.

Bryce Comer August 27th, 2015 05:19 PM

Re: The Shark tank - UWOL 35

Well i did have what i thought would have been a good idea, but i have been swamped with work & can't even dream of getting anything together for this one. Good luck to everyone else that it is this round.

Trond Saetre August 28th, 2015 03:12 AM

Hope you succeed next round, Bryce!
I'm pretty close to take a swim myself, but still a couple days left to hopefully film what I need.

Steve Siegel August 30th, 2015 09:40 AM

I have a different reason to swim with the sharks this time. I have my video. I have a narrative typed up, and ready to read. I have music. But I'm going into the tank anyway, because I just can't show this piece.

It was supposed to be about the mechanics of bird flight, my favorite thing to shoot. I studied a bunch of flight mechanics, understood the vectors and watched animated birds flying all over the internet. I was ready to use slow motion video to share these concepts with the UWOL community.

Guess what. When you actually watch a bunch of birds flying, big ones, little ones, fast ones and slow ones, there is no consistency in what they do. For example, the widely proven idea of wing twisting to generate forward thrust, so evident in a Black Tern, was totally absent in the much bigger Wood Stork. Wood Storks close their primary feathers during the upstroke to reduce wind resistance. White Pelicans open them. Some birds obviously do a bit of rowing through the air. Others don't. (Some researchers are vehement that birds DO NOT row. Are they wrong? Who am I to say?). It appears that different birds, even ones with similar wing shapes, use significantly different techniques to get where they want to go. All I can produce in a 4 minute video is a confusing jumble.

The bottom line is that although I thought I had bird flight "nailed", this UWOL exercise proves that my understanding isn't ready for prime time yet. Trond, I'm really happy that you offered this theme, because it made me look at bird flight in detail that I hadn't before. One day I'll get it all together.

Trond Saetre August 30th, 2015 09:58 AM

What a great idea you have there, Steve!
Hope you finish the film someday and publish it. Would be really nice to see.

Maybe a little late now with only a day left, but how about you change the film a little. Concentrate only on a few of the different birds, and then conclude that the different birds use their wings in so many different ways that it isn't possible to show one "this is how the mechanics of the birds wings work."

Vishal Jadhav August 31st, 2015 12:40 AM

Finally i am here

Had to travel a lot for some other footage and the time I planned to shoot this was ill , with the other shoot on my cards didn't get my priority right and the thinking process working on this as I needed to.

It was such a nice one to shoot but guess screwed up, however I got some footage of moments I chased for last many years and I had to choose, to ensure I don't loose a year as events will happen next year and the challenge , sad that I couldn't complete this one.

All the best to all, looking forward to watch ur films

Mick Jenner August 31st, 2015 09:46 AM

Sorry, me in it this round I'm afraid. Well done to those who completed an entry. Mick

LeRoy Gunderson August 31st, 2015 09:59 AM

I am out this round too I did manage to get some footage shot but not enough to make anything out of. I will try again next time. Good luck to those who are able to finish.

Trond Saetre August 31st, 2015 12:55 PM

To all who didn't submit:
Please notice that everyone who signed up, are encouraged to vote for the winning film.