DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL # 35 - Loco Motion - Paul Wood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/529584-uwol-35-loco-motion-paul-wood.html)

Paul Wood September 1st, 2015 02:45 PM

UWOL # 35 - Loco Motion - Paul Wood

Well, I have to say that given the month of August is when most of the local town festivals start ( a sort of harvest festival, with dates across the country going from mid August until mid September), that my choice of subject was pretty well pre determined - and of course the play on words ¨Loco ¨ and ¨Motion ¨ being close to my heart….

i must confess that this was only my second outing to a running of the bulls event, even though I have lived in my present house for 8 years, apart from a spell in Brazil, and in Spain for much longer, but luckily I was well advised by a friend of the best places to stand in the village.

Given the death of a tourist in Spain the week before who was filming bulls on his mobile phone, I stayed put, well behind the barriers, but was able to film from two spots over consecutive days - the only issue being a double record button push on my camera at a critical point in the events resulting in me missing good footage, (0:40) but I was saved by the GoPro camera I had fixed to the top of the NX70.

I had planned something a bit more cinematic, but in the end I decided that the combo of the NX70 and GoPro gave me the mobility I needed, and, with keeping out of the way high on my list of priorities (Rule 11, being gored by a bull doesn`t seem much fun,) I made do.

I hope you enjoy the short, and I welcome your comments!

Trond Saetre September 3rd, 2015 05:19 AM

Re: UWOL # 35 - Loco Motion - Paul Wood

Here is the link to Paul's film:

Trond Saetre September 3rd, 2015 05:27 AM

Your title is spot on! This is both loco and motion at the same time. :)

Interesting to see this tradition goes back hundreds of years. A little more info (if known) about why this event began back in the old days, would have been great.
But you managed to show well how it works today, and that there even are some rules.
All in all, a good film! Thanks for sharing.

Kevin Railsback September 3rd, 2015 01:00 PM

Good informational story Paul.

You mention that the bulls aren't killed. I understand that none are killed during the running but are some of some of these bulls used in bullfighting?

Good use of the theme in both the running and the crazy fools who get out in front of these beautiful creatures!

Marj Atkins September 4th, 2015 10:48 AM

Hi Paul

You have a rather unique take on the theme of locomotion – emphasizing the loco in locomotion and for good reason. (I cannot understand this sort of behaviour at all – in fact I found it quite distressing to watch grown men taunting a poor animal just for the adrenalin rush. Yes loco.)

Your story is fairly simple and straight forward but you seem to emphasize facts around the preparations for and organization of this event rather than the locomotion involved. I would have liked to have understood what the whole aim of this running of the bulls was – is there a set route that they run or do people simply poke fun at the bulls from the sidelines as your film shows?

Your camera angle and movement appears to have been restricted by the fencing but it would have added some interest if you could have got up to one of the balconies or down to the ground for some different POVs.

I must say that is an absolutely beautiful place in which you live.

Paul Wood September 4th, 2015 03:01 PM

Thanks for your comments - for background, I would suggest you look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Fighting_Bull

I have to say that I had intended to be a bit controversial in this round - in a wildlife section of the forum, posting a film involving fighting bulls is certain to attract comments! My original shot list was more Clint Eastwood, involving close ups of running feet - (fast cuts between people and bulls, with suitable dramatic music), but as I said I didn't quite get there.

I have lived in Spain for more than 25 years, and whilst I neither endorse or disclaim bullfighting, I can fully understand the background. Perhaps from the Roman occupation of Spain, and the tradition of the public spectacle of fighting wild animals, or maybe even before that from the fascination ancient civilisations have had with the bull, the Spanish have an affection for the fighting bull which is reflected throughout society.

Perhaps the best I can do is to compare the Spanish love for bulls with the American love for guns - from the point of view of an outsider, nobody quite understands it, but its there - in figures, only 20 people were killed this year if bull runs - a lot more injured for sure, but it compares to a typical day in Detroit.

Trond - from what I understand, this goes back to the days of the ancient Greeks - adopted by the Romans, and followed in the Mediterranean - Bullfights are common in Spain, Portugal, Southern France and of course as an export, Latin America.

Kevin - you are correct, but it depends a lot on the civic budget - in larger towns a bullfight is held in the evening, using the same bulls, but in smaller villages, there is no bullfight - there is, by the way, a small industry in the hire of portable bullrings roughly the size of a baseball court, which are moved from town to town. In the case of the smaller villages, when the bull gets tired, of is so confused it gets into a place where it could be danger to the public, it is shot.

Marj, I agree. but more interesting shots would have involved a level of personal risk (apart from the balconies!), which I was not prepared to undertake - as far as the aim of running with bulls - the closest I can say, is its like the Masai killing a lion with their spear - a sort of test of manhood - sure condemned by the press and animal lovers, but which nevertheless still goes on in Tanzania and Kenya, out of the public eye. - if only they were American dentists!

The route is generally the main street of the town, which is fenced off for the occasion.

Kevin Railsback September 4th, 2015 04:03 PM

I hope bullfighting comes to an end one of these day.
I don't see any sport in it as the bull dies regardless of the outcome.

I guess I'm just more of an animal lover than most gave up eating meat and most animal products just so I wouldn't be a hypocrite by saying that I think bullfighting is cruel and nothing short of torture.

I understand it's tradition but so was slavery here in the US.

Mick Jenner September 5th, 2015 02:20 AM

Well Paul, you say you intended to be controversial and maybe you have. All I will say about tradition is that is that does not make it right and leave it there for now.

Looking at it from a journalist angle I believe you have pulled of a master stroke this round. You have told a story that divides opinion and makes people ask questions. I am not going to analyse your film frame by frame but take it as a whole. You have filmed, edited and narrated it very well giving us a balanced view on the subject matter. You have balanced out the festival atmosphere with the horror of possibly being gored very well. I have friends who film in Spain and know that with lighting and exposure you are always on a winner.

What it does do however is make people ask questions about the rights and wrongs of bull running and animal cruelty in general and open up a very important debate as demonstrated by others views on here. I am not sure if that was your original intention but if that was the aim well done.

Overall an excellent thought provoking entry. Mick

Marj Atkins September 5th, 2015 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Wood (Post 1897129)
My original shot list was more Clint Eastwood, involving close ups of running feet - (fast cuts between people and bulls, with suitable dramatic music), but as I said I didn't quite get there.

That would have made this movie! It would have grabbed the viewer's attention and lifted the story a notch or two. Yip - unfortunately we don't always get the time or opportunity to do what we visualize. :)

Geir Inge September 5th, 2015 07:12 AM

Hey Paul.
An exciting video you deliver, spiced with a little humor (about old ladies and older men) I like it.
It may be controversial when people use animals for entertainment, or just to have fun.
I choose to look at your film as a historical document of an old tradition.
A tradition, as you say, that has been modified to suit current requirements.
The comment is read in an excellent manner, easily understandable, even for me who do not have English as my mother tongue.
The transition that starts at 0:10, I am somewhat unsure. Had it been better with a disolve, or single cut?
I can not decide what I really think about the transition, so I'd better let be to hold it against you.
Personal taste can often make the difference in what you choose in the editing process.
One man's opinion need not be more right than the others.
The large pot of food was fascinating. Is it paela?
I love paela, it's my favorite of Spanish cuisine.
My older brother lives parts of the year in south of Spain and we always have one paela evening when I visit him.

Thanks for sharing and wish you all well.

Paul Wood September 6th, 2015 06:07 AM

Thank you all for your comments.

As I already said, I did aim to be controversial - its impossible not to be with my choice of subject, but I did try and present a balanced. neutral film, and I hope I succeeded.

I was certainly too optimistic with my initial vision for the shoot (aren't we all?), but to film something on a scale to do it justice would have required a small crew and some cooperation from the participants or the town council, none of which I had - but there's always next year !

Geir Inge - yes that transition was a bit forced - I didn't have time to do all the locations on the weekend in question, and of course faced different weather and sky when I filmed the long shots of the village, and tilt to the sky, with some colour correction, Im not sure if it worked - but its only a second.

The food is of course paella - I love making this at home, but to see it prepared on an industrial scale is pretty amazing..

Just to end on another controversial note - at many festivals ( although not in my home town) the final meal, free for the whole town and paid for by the town council as in all over Spain, is a beef stew....

Andrew Hood September 7th, 2015 08:29 AM

I really enjoyed the story Paul. I think you did a great job of presenting the event as it is, and letting the viewer come to their own stance on it. It gets the viewer engaged, the theme blended in well, and I think the smaller camera helps bring the viewer in like an observer - it's not too static.I can totally relate to wanting more and grander shots than were feasible.

Kevin Railsback September 16th, 2015 02:40 PM

Not sure how this is supposed to be entertainment??
https://www.thedodo.com/rompesuelos-...349866269.html