UWOL Fun shoots - thoughts and ideas - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 29th, 2015, 12:04 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: UWOL Fun shoots - thoughts and ideas

I don’t know how closely you follow this challenge, Chris, because you haven’t participated here for quite some time but I found your comments quite surprising in light of some of the facts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
1. Most of the the original shooters in the challenges [UWOL & DVC] moved on. In other words, these challenges provided some iniitial experience and a place to show work, but after several entries, many of the participants moved on.
Obviously correct.

Quote:
2. New blood needs to be encouraged.
List of players who signed up for last three challenges:
1. Trond Saetre
2. Andrew Hood
3. Bill Thesken
4. Bryce Comer
5. Geir Inge
6. Gordon Hoffman
7. Kevin Railsback
8. LeRoy Gunderson
9. Marj Atkins
10. Mick Jenner
11. Mike Sims
12. Paul Wood
13. Simon Wood
14. Steve Siegel
15. Vegard Paulsen
16. Vishal Jadhav
17. Martijn Damen
18. Finn Yarbrough
19. Annie Haycock
20. Phil Murray
21. Jeff Holmes
22. Hege Johansen
23. (Mark Hartopp)

When I look at the list of players above who have signed up for the last three challenges then I can only conclude that new blood is being encouraged. Three newcomers signed up this last round. Approximately 17 players on the above list signed up for more than one of these three challenges – some for all three. Obviously we should continue to encourage new blood.

Quote:
What is left in this challenge are a few shooters who enjoy the comraderie of the on line group.
Judging by the sign-up list above this is not what I see. I can only speak for myself, but camaraderie is not the reason I have enjoyed being here. Simply put – I see value in this challenge. I count it a privilege to know the folk here on UWOL but my main reason for participating here is that I enjoy the opportunity to try out new things (some work, some don’t) and I really appreciate the feedback I have received here. Perhaps your perception arises from the fact that some of us always submit a film when we sign up so we always show up (whether the film is finished properly or not).

Quote:
The tendancy is to make others who might initially have interest to become less interested when the online group “appears” not to be accepting of newcomers. While this may not be the actual case, the appearance of not being welcoming can have the same effect.
Wow. How did you reach this conclusion? I am puzzled by this statement. If this is true then this is certainly an indictment on us as a group but how is this possible when our motivation is to build up and keep this forum going?

The reason most of us are still here is because we see value in this challenge and constantly encourage new players to join us. This is a safe place to learn. We give feedback diligently, music videos* are encouraged - besides - it is no fun for any of us to compete with just five entries so why on earth would we want to exclude anyone particularly when we are sensitive to the problems people have! There are a number:

The topic is a problem for many much of the time especially for those who battle to come up with ideas. However, I REGULARLY read comments on the “Tales of wonder and woe” where one member is encouraging another with a suggestion or two because they have communicated the fact that they are experiencing a problem and can’t get up and running. Sure, if players come here to win then it may require a bit more effort because there are certainly some good players here who are never short of ideas!

* Sometimes the prospect of doing a narration turns people off. Narrations are not mandatory. However I must add that Gordon Hoffman is a good example of a player who was initially reluctant to do a narration and yet he was encouraged to give it a go and he has since produced videos with good narration that are way more engaging than those he produced before. No-one here pretends to give a perfect voice-over anyway but at least it increases an understanding of the subject being portrayed and is therefore worth including.

As Trond has pointed out, we even have a system for giving feedback on entries at different levels - from brutal to friendly - according to what the player requests when posting his feedback thread. . . So even feedback is safe.

Trond who is running the show, is probably the friendliest person I know! When I signed up in 2007 he was the first player to write a personal email welcoming me to UWOL. I am sure he still does the same today when new people submit a movie for the first time.
He is always quoting Rule #11 – Have Fun!!! Have fun within the rules – whatever they are or may change to be.

I can’t speak for Vishal but he – to use your word – ‘appears’ to have made himself quite at home here since he joined a short while back.

What more can one do? We are talking about adults here, not babies. All are welcome but wow if we are standing in the way of newcomers joining because we are ‘perceived’ to be a closed club then I give up.

There is another factor (which we are all aware of) that plays a significant role in reducing the number of entries submitted: Things can easily go wrong when it comes to nature and wildlife filming. Subjects may not show up but the more significantly the weather can play havoc with plans when filming outdoors!

What I would like to emphasize in this respect is that it is only fair to all concerned (including Trond, who organizes this challenge on our behalf, and Chris Hurd who pays good money to give us a dedicated Vimeo site!) to tell us what went wrong by using the Sharktank – that’s what it is there for!!

It is helpful to know the reasons for people not submitting - be it a change in circumstances, lack of time, the weather, unexpected work load, the topic, etc. At least if you communicate the problems you experienced, everyone here will have a better understanding and if necessary Trond can make changes accordingly. Five or six people explained their reason (albeit not all in the sharktank) for not submitting a film this round – all had perfectly valid and understandable reasons and this was helpful to know. Disappearing without an explanation, (especially newcomers) leaves things open to all sorts of misinterpretation or speculation, or worse still, gives rise to a post such as this. It could even be put down to plain apathy which I don’t believe is the case.

Something to consider for future challenges: if only four entries are submitted (hopefully never again) then perhaps voting should be dropped because it is basically no longer a contest.

Last edited by Marj Atkins; September 29th, 2015 at 12:48 PM.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 12:19 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
3. Along the same lines, not all shooters are located in ideal wildlife settings, and yet the Challenge “apppears” to reward those who have easier access wildlife settings and scenic areas.
Winning films – UWOL Challenge

UWOL #21 BIRDS, FISH, REPTILES AND AMPHIBIANS
Unloved – Simon Wood (Uganda)
Abandoned – Geir Inge Brekke (Norway)
tied with
Here be Dragons – Mike Sims (USA)

UWOL #22 - THE LITTLE THINGS
Zoo in a Dewdrop – Mike Sims (USA)
Spring’s Little Things - Ruth Happel (USA)

UWOL #23 - A FORCE OF NATURE
The Source – Simon Wood (Uganda)
Natural Elements – Per Johan Naesje (Norway)

UWOL #24 - INTERACTION
Trade Wind Clouds and Islands – Bill Theskin (HI USA)
Wave Riders – Finn-Eric Faale (Norway)

UWOL #25 - EXPANDING HORIZONS
Red River Survivors – Mike Sims (USA)
Exploring – Marcus Nord (Sweden)
The Atlantic Forest – Paul Wood (Brazil)

UWOL #26 - IMPACT
Next Time Take The Train – Steve Siegel (USA)

UWOL #27 - TIMING
The Rut – Bryce Comer (Canada)
End Of An Era – Paul Wood (Brazil)

UWOL #28
DVC/UWOL

UWOL #29- LIGHT
Why do Scorpions Glow in The Dark? - Mike Sims (USA)
[in]visible light – Marj Atkins (South Africa)
The Origin Of Light – Paul Wood (Spain)

UWOL #30 - MAN VERSUS WILD
Submerged – Vegard Paulsen (Norway)

UWOL #31 - NATURE SPEAKS IN COLORS
Autumn Colours – Mick Jenner (UK)
Colour – Nature’s Sign Language – Marj Atkins (South Africa)
September – Martijn Damen (Netherlands)

UWOL #32 THE ELEMENTS
Our Universe – Andrew Hood (Australia)
Elements – Vishal Jadhav (India)

UWOL #33 GOLDEN HOURS
Dawn Chorus – Mick Jenner (UK)
Tranquility – Marj Atkins (South Africa)

UWOL #34 DOWN TO EARTH
Antics – Marj Atkins (South Africa)
String Of Life – Geir Inge Brekke (Norway)

UWOL #35 LOCOMOTION
Loco-Motion – Paul Wood (Spain)

Looking at the list of players and the films that have won here (I only went back as far as UWOL #21) we have a mix of winners from every corner of the earth. I don’t see any films here that have won specifically because the player had access to wildlife settings or scenic area. (However, this is a nature, wildlife and outdoor forum so even if they did, it is perfectly acceptable!)

As far as I can see the people who have won here have done so because their films had merit of one sort or another: Good story, good narration, good editing, good camera work, good sound, interesting technique, unique take on theme, excellent interviewing and/or maybe just happened to be the most enjoyable film submitted. Please watch Mick Jenner’s films because they show what can be done with local subjects that are extremely simple and down-to-earth, found in his immediate environment in Sussex, England. It is not his “access to wildlife settings” that made these into winning films; it is his camera skill and his storytelling ability that got him there!

Simon lives in Africa, synonymous with wildlife, but he produces amazing films - mainly in the form of interviews – there is much to learn from watching his work. He did not win here because he had “access to wildlife” etc. but because he has an amazing ability to make the topic come alive using people. I could never produce films like those that some people have submitted here but they do inspire me to do better.

(The winning films from UWOL #21 onwards can be seen on the UWOL Challenge_DVInfo Vimeo site: https://vimeo.com/user8310268 )

Quote:
While the original UWOL Challenge emphasized wild life filming, the initial themes could be interpreted by different people to produce a film that allowed the shooter to concentrate on local subject matter. Even naratives were produced.
Even back then there were difficult themes with reduced numbers of submissions. Trond has given us comparable themes. Trying to find new themes is quite taxing for anyone, especially themes that please everyone.

List of UWOL themes to date.

1. THE LIVING SKIES
2. RECREATION
3. THE WILD
4. WATER
5. MAMMALS
6. NIGHT
7. ADVENTURE
8. TRANSFORMATION
9. WILDLIFE
10. PSA
11. HABITAT
12. (DVC/UWOL) TRAVEL
13. ORDER or CHAOS or ORDER and CHAOS
14. RHYTHMS AND CYCLES
15. ANIMAL KINGDOM
16. JOURNEYS AND DISCOVERIES
17. RENEWAL
18. INTIMATE DETAIL
19. MOTION
20. LIGHT
21. BIRDS, FISH, REPTILES, AND AMPHIBIANS
22. THE LITTLE THINGS
23. A FORCE OF NATURE
24. INTERACTION
25. EXPANDING HORIZONS
26. IMPACT
27. TIMING
28. (DVC/UWOL) INSPIRED
29. LIGHT
30. MAN VERSUS WILD
31. NATURE SPEAKS IN COLORS
32. THE ELEMENTS
33. GOLDEN HOUR
34. DOWN TO EARTH
35. LOCOMOTION

I am not sure how Trond would feel about this, but I would like to suggest that everyone, but particularly those who are unhappy with the current themes, send at least five topics to Trond to add to his own collection. This way you may get an appreciation of just how hard it is to come up with something that will please everyone.

My other suggestion in this respect is that the pre-amble should perhaps be dropped because it does narrow down the freedom of interpretation. Alternatively, it could be left in to help folk with the theme on the understanding that it is not a limiting factor.

Trond – perhaps you should throw in one or two of those initial old topics every now and then too – some are quite nice and they were posted way back in 2006.

Quote:
As the DVChallenge neared it apparent demise, fun shoots like you are now suggesting were proposed. I believe that adding the number of events is not the answer.
Fun shoots are a good idea because they allow for different approaches that don’t fall foul of the rules. Some players expressed a desire to use stock footage for a change to produce an entry. Fun shoots are ideal for this sort of thing. The more opportunities to produce a film here, the better!

Quote:
....Rather the answer is attracting more newcomers, and acceptance of a wider range of shooters and themes.
I agree with most of Steve's response to this.
Old September 29th, 2015, 12:25 PM   #18
Major Player

In response to Steve you wrote

Quote:
The original UWOL covered a spectrum of outdoor activities. Thus the name UWOL (Under Water Over Land.) This covered a lot of ground. As time went on, it seems things like human outdoor activities were deemphasized at UWOL, and a strictly natural spin rose in contests. Of course this is the general way things are going these days, with mankind being deemed a blight on nature by many purists. The result of that movement is that a select few are in a position to shoot pure nature video. If that's what you want to keep UWOL going, that's fine. I am only commenting on why many stopped participating in these contests.
‘Many’ people? You know this, how? I am not convinced about the ‘many’ – ‘some’ maybe. This may be your experience, which is fine, but my guess is that it is more simply a matter of life and circumstances changing and people moving on.

As Trond says – those of us who regularly submit may focus on nature and wildlife but it is not a policy of UWOL – check the mission statement!

“The Under Water, Over Land (UWOL) Challenge is the planet's premiere nature and outdoors video production contest. A unique opportunity for documentarians, planet Earth-lovers, extreme sports enthusiasts, bird-watchers, sea-dwellers, and all aspiring outdoor film makers to join a community of like-minded people, swap stories, learn skills, win prizes and maybe get an exclusive place in the winners’ circle.” (Meryem Ersoz)

(The only thing that has changed here is that there are no prizes.)

Please note it is not the policy of UWOL to make educational videos, do interviews, do narrations or anything else – that is the personal choice of the players who do so.

In conclusion I would like to say that this forum has value and has potential, but everyone will have to pull together to make it work. (Use it or lose it.)

Perhaps I am just living in a little bubble of denial but I do not see that UWOL is on the point of demise. I have presented the facts for all of you to draw your own conclusions. I have added my personal notes on the subject. Only time will tell.

Best wishes, Marj
Old September 29th, 2015, 01:32 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marj Atkins View Post
I am not sure how Trond would feel about this, but I would like to suggest that everyone, but particularly those who are unhappy with the current themes, send at least five topics to Trond to add to his own collection. This way you may get an appreciation of just how hard it is to come up with something that will please everyone.

My other suggestion in this respect is that the pre-amble should perhaps be dropped because it does narrow down the freedom of interpretation. Alternatively, it could be left in to help folk with the theme on the understanding that it is not a limiting factor.

Trond – perhaps you should throw in one or two of those initial old topics every now and then too – some are quite nice and they were posted way back in 2006.
Theme suggestions are always most welcome. If anyone has ideas, feel free to send me an email.

Pre-amble can be dropped. It will be a variation in the future. Some with, some without anything but the theme itself.

Old themes can and will most likely be re-used. Even if you made an entry with the same theme earlier, new ideas can pop up next time. Or... make a new video with the same idea you used previously. Imagination is the only limit of the ideas.

Marj, your posts are well written. Better than I could have done it myself. Thanks!

Everyone, the shark tank will be more visible and if you sign up and don't submit, you will be strongly encouraged to post in the tank threads.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 12:05 PM   #20
Inner Circle

In response to the various posted responses to my posts, I agree that my comments were based only on my impressions of what was occurring to cause less participation. The comments were my own personal observations, and obviously not supported by any scientific study.

I do enjoy watching the films that have been produced by the participants, and I am by no means anti-nature filming. My comments were only made to state why I thought you were getting less participation.

And my comments regarding the historical participation in UWOL go back to the beginning of UWOL challenge. I was there. This predated Meriam, who moved UWOL more to primarily nature shooting., Again, I don't offer judgment on whether that is good or bad, but only as a reason why participation may have reduced.
Old October 1st, 2015, 01:41 AM   #21
Major Player

Interesting points from everyone.

It would appear that in principle everyone agrees that new blood would be a good thing though.

I think that in the past when prizes were offered the numbers jumped with old faces returning and new people signing up, and this had a residual effect on the competitions after it. Trying to find sponsors is the thing though. I won one of the DVC/UWOL Christmas challenges way back - I received a fantastic Roland audio recorder from Guy at DVeStore, something that has been very helpful and that I have used in all my projects up to this day.

Likewise I occasionally enter the RODE film competitions, and while I never won it I did get shortlisted and was received a video microphone. In these Rode Reel competitions they do advertise a lot of course, but on the flip side they use the competition as a means to raise awareness for the various sponsors through social media. One way to do this is that everyone signing up for the competition has to register with the sponsor, or like their Facebook page etc. This could be something we look at every now and then perhaps; to try and get a sponsor for a prize, advertise it, and in return use social media as a means to raise the profile of the sponsor?

I think on one of the last DVC/UWOL challenges there was a BM camera as a prize, from Guy at DVeStore, but ultimately outside of the entrants no real awareness for DVeStore was raised. Social media would allow us to make it more worthwhile for sponsors I believe, if this is something that we wish to explore further.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 02:12 AM   #22
Major Player

Just a quick addendum: reading though my above post it kind of sounds like I am rather mercenary and I'm only in it for the prizes, haha. In fact I think my best personal project to date was for UWOL 23, I certainly put a lot of time and work in to that one, no prizes involved.

I had been using the UWOL and DVC challenges to set other goals, like I set myself some personal limitations - the main one being that I wanted every submission I made to be worthy as a standalone film in its own right (so that the audience would not have to be aware of the theme or the background of the competition). This was because the first one I did, Unloved for UWOL 21, while it worked with respect to the competition, it left other people slightly confused as to the purpose of the story (why those specific animals for instance). In DVC 22 I tried to go completely handheld with 1 basic lens, and no interviews, to make the film as basic as possible. I tried to use this limitation most recently in UWOL 34; I had actually filmed a lot of footage, but I couldn't get into a coherent story that would have made sense if the audience was not aware of the 'Down to earth' theme.

These self imposed limitations meant that I was in the shark tank more than not. Its kind of shocking for me to see the last film I actually submitted was Boda2 back in UWOL 25. I must try harder.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that all my talk about prizes is just to say that they used to give all the competitors a bit of a jolt to the system. UWOL is friendly, and helpful. But perhaps this means that people are not necessarily as competitive as they could be as a result of this? Something to chew over perhaps.
Old October 1st, 2015, 04:35 AM   #23
Major Player

I agree with Simon - a prize would make this more competitive and draw in new players. It is likely to raise the bar which is both good and bad. Bad in that beginners could fee overwhelmed and give up. Good in that it would certainly make this a more viable challenge rather than a learning forum which is basically what it has become (for me any way). I have the feeling that when the topic looks a bit daunting then some here don't see it worth the time and trouble to push through or to resolve their problem.Offer a prize and that would probably change.

I know Chris Hurd did offer $100 as a prize at one stage but for some reason this was not taken up. Not sure if this is still on offer but my only caution regarding a cash prize is that is would have to be on condition that the winner has a PayPal account that allows them to receive money (more countries have this facility now so it may not prove to be a problem). Transferring cash through a bank in USA is a mission. If not the $100 could be sent to one of the sponsors here in exchange for a gift voucher (winner's choice of sponsor).

The idea of using social media to endorse sponsors may prove difficult for those of us who are not on Facebook and never will be.

Last edited by Marj Atkins; October 1st, 2015 at 05:14 AM.
Old October 1st, 2015, 04:52 AM   #24
Trustee

I know Meryem ran into issues where the shipping cost more than the item she was sending to some countries. So something that can be transferred electronically or credit with a sponsor etc is the way to go if people decide that's the route to go.

I've always felt that UWOL was for more outdoor/nature/wildlife filmmakers and DVC was more for filmmakers that wanted to hone their craft with actors and such.

I know nature and wildlife filmmakers are a small niche compared to "general"" filmmakers.

Throw a rock here in Iowa and you'll hit twenty horror filmmakers.

I've never run across another nature/wildlife filmmaker here in Iowa and even in national Parks like Yellowstone you won't encounter any on most visits. So I think by nature this will always be a small group.

That being said I get emails all the time from people wanting to learn nature and wildlife filmmaking. So they're out there, I think they just don't know about UWOL.

Somehow I think a social media campaign to bring awareness could help.

This of us that have websites with blogs can certainly promote the next challenge and see if that brings in new people.

I get a fair amount of traffic to my site and I can certainly get a couple posts ready to promote UWOL and see if that brings in a few new people as well.
Old October 1st, 2015, 06:56 AM   #25
Major Player

Yes; shipping is an issue. With the audio recorder I won I had it posted to a friend in the US who comes to Uganda twice a year, so I just waited a few months before it arrived. Otherwise it would have been difficult.

I do agree that outdoor/nature films are a niche market. However, that means that this competition is one of the few actually being held in this genre worldwide. That means there has to be demand for it; though limited.

I have seen a number of academies that do wildlife training - I wonder would it be worthwhile contacting venues like those (though their Facebook pages for instance) to try and drum up support for it? For instance:

Wildeye - International School of Wildlife Film-making
https://www.facebook.com/Wildeye.co.uk/timeline/

Marj; while I understand that a lot of people are reticent to sign away their personal details online, it is possible to just have a Facebook page for your company that could be used for marketing and so forth - no personal details required. Just a thought?
Old October 1st, 2015, 12:30 PM   #26
Major Player

I for one would say that when i stepped out of my day job a year back and embarked on this road of understanding wildlife films , this is the only group that has helped me. Submitted 3 films and i enjoyed it completely.
Got a lot of guidance and understanding which helped me a lot .

Would continue to participate in here as much as i can , currently trying to do my first feature length documentary and facing major challenges constructing it more from a experience standpoint .

India is a interesting country where wild life film making is a very niche market, and i can count the full time people in this and they do not total more than 20 folks .
Old October 1st, 2015, 12:48 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marj Atkins View Post
I know Chris Hurd did offer $100 as a prize at one stage but for some reason this was not taken up. Not sure if this is still on offer but my only caution regarding a cash prize is that is would have to be on condition that the winner has a PayPal account that allows them to receive money (more countries have this facility now so it may not prove to be a problem). Transferring cash through a bank in USA is a mission. If not the $100 could be sent to one of the sponsors here in exchange for a gift voucher (winner's choice of sponsor).
I emailed Chris about his offer just before the next challenge after he offered that prize.
Didn't get any answer, but at that time, I heard Chris was pretty busy, so I didn't push it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Railsback View Post
I know Meryem ran into issues where the shipping cost more than the item she was sending to some countries.

I've always felt that UWOL was for more outdoor/nature/wildlife filmmakers and DVC was more for filmmakers that wanted to hone their craft with actors and such.
Spot on! That is the difference between UWOL and DVC.

Meryem generously paid every prize out of her own pocket. In the end it just cost too much to continue.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 03:47 AM   #28
Major Player

1) Another idea for a fun shoot. especially if you are having difficulty getting out. A fun round aimed at recycling a previous entry but re edited/adjusted etc with the aid of comments received. Might require some further filming but would be interesting to how well we could polish up some of those old submissions.

2) Rather more controversial, Matt Thompson alluded to this a little while ago, peer voting! Since we moved away from independent judging I find it amusing when reading comments like"I hadn't noticed that until so and so pointed that out etc" before judging has taken place We all view films different ways and enjoy them for different reasons therefore comments like that could and probably has altered how you would have voted until that point had been hi-lited. What is correct to one person maybe an irrelevance to another. The boundaries of what is correct in filming and editing are always being pushed , wobbly POV is and example, now an accepted art form, a few years back would have been derided and the camera operator sacked , When I view entries I do not view any previous comments until after I have viewed them all and made my notes. I would like to see films put up for judging for 7 days without explanations from the entrants, after voting, a further 7days for comments and only then the results announced. That way new comers would not feel the judging of their entries are influenced by comments from regulars here.

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 05:55 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Jenner View Post
1) Another idea for a fun shoot. especially if you are having difficulty getting out. A fun round aimed at recycling a previous entry but re edited/adjusted etc with the aid of comments received.

2) When I view entries I do not view any previous comments until after I have viewed them all and made my notes. I would like to see films put up for judging for 7 days without explanations from the entrants, after voting, a further 7days for comments and only then the results announced. That way new comers would not feel the judging of their entries are influenced by comments from regulars here.

Mick
Number 1 would be an interesting one for sure; it could also be an actual theme for a regular UWOL competition - remake, reboot, or recycle an old entry. Or a sequel to an old project (follow up on an old story).

Number 2 ought to be easy enough to do as an experiment. I personally have never had an issue with criticism, so I don't see it as off putting though I guess others may? While this may or may not help newcomers settle in, it wouldn't attract newcomers though. We still need to figure out how to get new people on board.

Looking though the internet I came across this: The International Association of wildlife Filmmakers. This is literally the mother-load of wildlife filmmaker contacts, both highly qualified and beginners alike!

IAWF - Wildlife Film-makers and Wildlife Photography

They also have a Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/Internation...3420/timeline/

I am thinking this could be a good place to start 'advertising' for new people to join in? Does anyone know a person who is a member of the association?

Thoughts?
Old October 2nd, 2015, 08:01 AM   #30
Major Player

If I remember right the UWOL Challenge was started as a way to get people out and shooting nature. There was a fair number of people at the time (more than there is now) on the "under water, over land" forum talking about videoing wildlife. Some people were actually out shooting footage, some were putting clips up on the internet for people to watch, other were asking questions and some were just talking about getting out. The idea came up to challenge people to get out shooting and also make it so you would have to get out of your comfort zone at times. I believe Meryem was the big push behind the Challenge getting going and this link shows it was leaning more to nature and wildlife..

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-wa...forum-now.html

As for getting more people and especially new people I'm not sure what the answer is and I did not get the impression that they are not welcome. I believe some have place pretty high on their first entries.
I have mixed feelings about prizes. If a person is only interested because there is a prize being offered I don't think they will enter very often as there is some very talented people here. I believe you have to enjoy the challenge of doing these short films with a theme not of your choosing for the fun and experience gained and not to win some prize.
I think if people want to learn about shooting and editing nature films and try their hand at it or just see different parts of the world the UWOL Challenge is a good place to be.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge