UWOL Fun shoot, September - October 2015 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 18th, 2015, 11:44 AM   #1
Inner Circle

UWOL Fun shoot, September - October 2015

Ladies and gentlemen, I am launching a new "Fun shoot", beginning right now.

Reference:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-cha...ml#post1898619

Theme: Whatever you want, new or old footage, it is totally up to yourself to deside.
UWOL guidelines are valid for the fun shoot.

As always, post in this thread your intention to participate.
Signup remains open until deadline. :)

Deadline:
Sunday, October 11, midnight wherever you are.

Remember to send an email to uwol@dvinfo.net to request upload info to our Vimeo page.

No judging or winners, but the feedback is very important.

Let the fun begin!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 12:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: UWOL Fun shoot, September - October 2015

I have a couple of 3 minute videos, made earlier this year, and would like some critical evaluation. I'm sure we all watch Vimeo videos, whether in a UWOL context or not. There are always some that are so compelling that it's easy to see why everyone wants to watch them. I find that good animation is a favorite.

Many of these videos deal with deeply emotional or shocking human-oriented subject material. In the Nature realm, it often has to do with predator-prey relationships, or coming of age of baby animals. The UWOL format, indeed most amateur nature video, cannot readily avail itself of such subjects, as they are seasonal or rare behaviors, hard to document.

But does a video HAVE TO contain compelling material just to get a reasonable sized audience? What, other than sex, violence or cuteness, should a nature video have to be something that viewers, anticipating a show worth seeing, will go out of their way to find?
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 12:42 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The nature films by David Attenborough were my favorites because I most often learned something new.
Old September 18th, 2015, 05:30 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm tempted to pick one of the themes I never completed a video for (shark tank) and go with that - I'll have to look back at my list. I still have scraps of paper with brainstorming ideas and even vague plans for films from more rounds than I care to admit, thinking I might get around to them one day. Might have to see which of them would be easy to do. Or maybe I'll just get inspired by something... although it's getting towards the busiest part of the uni year for me - but I probably need it as a sanity preserver.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 05:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Trond,

That's probably it, and maybe why Marj's entries are so good. She always has some new knowledge to impart. I guess the skill is to be able to present "new I'd like to learn that" and avoid "nitpicking details, who cares". It would also depend a lot on your audience.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2015, 01:21 AM   #6
Major Player

I like the idea, so I will find something to add for the fun shoot.
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2015, 08:18 AM   #7
Trustee

Steve,

The greater the shock and wow factor the more popular it will be.

Look at Discovery and Animal Planet. They've become a joke and are only now realizing that their National Enquirer style of programming is failing.

The problem with sensationalized films is that you have to go farther to top yourself.

I think we're finally seeing a return to good programming but there will always be people that film a dog exploding because some kids tied fireworks to it, or videos of kids throwing kittens in a river to drown.

Me, with all the crap going on in the world like mindless films of nature. It's therapeutic
Old October 5th, 2015, 10:34 PM   #8
Trustee

Hi Steve: Importing new knowledge as being the sole worthwhile venture in nature filming is a bit over-rated! How about throwing in a little creativity and perhaps a little humor into the mix! ;-)

And Kevin... the cruel sensationalism you mentioned in your post breaks my heart. But I have one to beat even those.... how about keeping a koi in a shallow bowl of water outside on a hot summer's day where it's bound to fry.... :) Just a little throw-back to an "ancient" UWOL challenge that I hope you remember and makes you laugh!

Hi to the UWOL folks, and hope you are doing well.

Best,

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 02:00 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Welcome back, Catherine :)
Old October 6th, 2015, 02:36 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post
How about throwing in a little creativity and perhaps a little humor into the mix! ;-)
Absolutely spot-on.

I will never forget when my grand daughter was three years old she wanted to watch your "Get-to-bed" movie over and over again. Initially I read the words to her but eventually I could practically recite your little poem off by heart! Your movie was done with an old handycam (competing against players with the latest and greatest) yet the amusing story got you a place in the top three.

Geir-Inge's film "Elizabeth and Friends" and Finn-Eric's "Chaos in a Frog-pond" done for other challenges were close second favorites at the time! Makes you think.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 08:26 AM   #11
Trustee

Hi Trond! You just make it irresistible to keep away. It's wonderful to see what you guys are up to these days.

Wow Marj! I am humbled by your kind words. Getting a good mark from a 3 year old rates high in my book. Three-year olds haven't quite mastered diplomacy yet and just lay it out as they think it is.

It is so nice to dip into the UWOL world again. After a year of working on rather serious stuff it would be wonderful to frolic just a bit! I'd like to try and submit something for the anything-goes fun shoot (great idea, Trond!), but I really am hitting this late in the game. I'll give it a good try though!

Here's to you guys who keep steadily after it and are mastering the game!

Cat
Old October 6th, 2015, 10:47 AM   #12
Major Player

It wasn't just my three year old grand daughter that thought it was wonderful - the judges also thought it deserved a place in the winner's circle!!

Really good to hear you'll try to submit something for the fun challenge Cat - been missing you around here. :)
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2015, 06:50 AM   #13
Trustee

So nice to see you back Cat!!!
Our sister has returned! :)

Have about a minute edited so far.
This was a super fun shoot for me. A full 180 from my normal submissions. :)
Shot everything in 90 minutes and trying to make a three or four minute film with just a handful of clips is the real challenge this time around!
Old October 10th, 2015, 07:42 AM   #14
Trustee

What! Films can be 4 minutes, now??? It was killing me getting mine down to 3... Ah well! A bit late with the news....

Kevin, it's so nice to connect! Can you steer me to the upload instructions when submitting a film? Trond sent me an email with a link to the instructions and the password, but the link is an email not a link to the instructions post.

Cheers!
Cat

----Okay, when all else fails read the directions. I've checked out the UWOL rules sticky post. I'll fish around on Vimeo Pro Services for the UWOL entries site...
Old October 10th, 2015, 08:11 AM   #15
Trustee

Sounds cool. I will give it a shot.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge