DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   My Lighthouse by Geir Inge B. Brekke - Uwol fun shoot 2015 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/530018-my-lighthouse-geir-inge-b-brekke-uwol-fun-shoot-2015-a.html)

Geir Inge October 13th, 2015 09:23 AM

My Lighthouse by Geir Inge B. Brekke - Uwol fun shoot 2015

I have filled my Lighthouse with memories.
You, my dear friends of Uwol is the reason for this.
Because; without you I had not made my many walks in the woods and mountains.
Without you I would not been able to make a video about a talking boathouse, or a fairy tale about the little things, or sitting in a canoe singing old Norwegian folk songs.
Our eminent Uwol supervisors, Meryem, Catherine, Lorinda and Trond has guided us through the challenges since the start back in 2006.
Chris has given us a place online to express ourselves and grow as filmmakers.
My film is old news, but mostly in honor of all of you.
Thank you!

Tim Lewis October 13th, 2015 10:29 AM

Re: My Lighthouse by Geir Inge B. Brekke - Uwol fun shoot 2015

Thanks Geir!

Really interesting footage obviously from a variety of themes, but all of it was captivating.

Catherine Russell October 13th, 2015 12:13 PM

Hello Geir:

This is beautiful. To get the "best of" from Geir Brekke is to feast on gourmet delights. You friend have turned into a master cinematographer. You know your craft and you do it well. You also have sensitivity in and compassion for both the subject matter and how to masterly capture it to wow those who appreciate your work.

The aurora borealis was phenomenal as was also capturing the hare and you on opposite sides of the lens, the fly-overs and life under water, in water and over water.

I'm just very fortunate to be able to sit and marvel and wonder at it all!

Best Geir!

Cat

Trond Saetre October 13th, 2015 12:36 PM

Hei Geir Inge,

This was a nice "The best of" film. I enjoyed watching it, and it brought back good memories from previous challenges, and from our "team Norway" get-together with you, Per Johan and myself many years ago.

Thank you for sharing.

Kevin Railsback October 13th, 2015 02:40 PM

Hey Geir,

What an amazing love story with nature you've told!

So many beautiful wildlife and nature encounters you've had over the years!

The aurora borealis worked in so well and of course your underwater footage was beautiful as well!

Wonderful memories of challenges past and a hint of what lies ahead for us in challenges in the future!

Steve Siegel October 13th, 2015 04:58 PM

Hi Geir,

I know this shoot is for critique, but it would be hard to improve on this. Your versatility in the air, under the water, tight close-up, wide shots is impressive. The editing is tight and natural-looking. I have seen lots of aurora video (never the real thing, though), but your angles are new. It looks like you did a special effect, but they must be just the aurora, right? I especially liked the little touches, such as the going away drone shot following two going forward ones, and the way you tilted up a bit to catch the wave crashing on the rocks. Very effective.

Gordon Hoffman October 14th, 2015 01:23 AM

Hi Geir Inge
I have to say it is amazing how things have advanced since the start of UWOL including the talent of the people involved. From aerials to under water you have it. Thanks for sharing the memories.

Gordon

Geir Inge October 15th, 2015 03:37 AM

Thank you all for nice comments, which I greatly appreciate.
It was really liberating to be able to deliver a video without requirements or guidelines.
I remembered back, and many fond memories of you appeared.
Can not mention everyone, but suddenly I thought of the young Mr. Gabriel Yeager. He always had a young and fresh approach to the various themes. There are several others that I miss, too. But I'm guessing you can not go back in time, just try to make the future better. Nevertheless, it would be nice if we got young and fresh talents into the forum.

Steve: Northern Lights (aurora) are real and filmed (timelapse photo) on two occasions. The first northern lights (red and green) is recorded against the northern sky. The last one is more explosive and purple, and is filmed almost in the zenith (straight up). This explosive Northern Lights could be seen all the way down to Spain and Portugal, something you rarely get to experience. I hope you get to experience the northern lights one day Steve, it is magical and you will never forget it.

Paul Wood October 15th, 2015 08:39 AM

Geir Inge,

Wow!

What a superb, nostalgic look back at your work, Geir Inge,
I see the use of the aerial footage is both getting better, and adding tremendous production value to your work.
The only thing I missed is your melodic voice telling me what you have seen (I’m joking!)

Very well done!

Geir Inge October 16th, 2015 04:37 AM

Thanks for nice comments, Paul.
I like a joke, it makes life much easier I think.

Steve: You mention "the way I tilted up a bit two catch the wave crashing on the rocks."
Well, the truth is that I am running this clip in slow motion, because it is all too short. The wave was about to take me, I ran away laughing hysterically with the camera hanging straight down. Yeah, I got a little shower. Still, it was fun.

Vishal Jadhav October 17th, 2015 11:21 PM

Geir Inge

I love the array of shots chosen to make this film, very unique and very neatly structured , music takes along everything in here.
Ariel footage makes it more interesting.
The small clip of the hare and the foot of the person in same frame is something i may not forget anytime.

Lovely work

Bob Safay October 19th, 2015 07:45 AM

Geir Inge, your area looks lovely. Beautiful birds and wildlife. Looks like you are having fun with your Phantom. Thanks for sending me the video. Bob

Geir Inge October 25th, 2015 05:10 AM

Thank you Vishal and Bob.
I'm glad you enjoyed it and appreciate your feedback.

Vishal, that foot is mine ;)
On one of my hiking in the mountains, a few years back, in a distance I saw the hare jumping under a stone.
I pondered long on how I was going to catch it on tape.
I considered terrain and angle and leave the camera on top of my backpack.
As I walked toward the stone, the hare jumped out and ran away.
In slow motion you can see how it strives to find the quickest way out of this over-enthusiastic man.
One of many good memories from wilderness.