UWOL36 Tales of wonders and woes - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 26th, 2015, 11:59 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: UWOL36 Tales of wonders and woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
perhaps I need a bloopers reel!
Maybe a film about weather's bloopers? :) It sure has messed up for us a lot of times.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 08:09 AM   #47
Trustee

Time for a little more shooting this morning then back on a plane to Iowa at 9:30 tonight. Won't be home until 2AM so probably no shooting tomorrow until later in the day if at all depending on the weather.

It's been an incredible time. I've seen more wildlife in the past week than I've seen in many years combined. Literally thousands of animals everywhere. In past trips I've only seen bighorn sheep way up in the cliffs. this trip I could reach out of my car and touch them if I wanted to. Amazing, amazing footage.
Now I have basically a day after I get home to think of a story to tie all of it together and get my submission in.
Old November 28th, 2015, 08:31 AM   #48
Inner Circle

If you think you will be able to submit an entry, don't wait too long before you request the upload details.
Send an email to uwol@dvinfo.net
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 08:48 AM   #49
Major Player

Unfortunately I will not be able to complete an entry this round. Have been so busy editing various projects. Surprised by how much footage I recorded this year. Here is a link to some Kingfishers that I filmed in July. The owners of the land have some holidays cottages along the river, so I cut together this short for them last week to go onto their new website as a thank you for letting me film there. Thought you might like to watch whilst you are waiting for your entries to upload, best in 1080hd. Looking forward to watching all of your films

Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 10:02 AM   #50
Trustee

Wow Kevin, & i thought i was looking forward to seeing Spectre last night. I think i am looking forward even more to seeing your film now. Sounds like you have some incredible footage!
On that note, what beautiful footage of the kingfishers Mick. It's a pity you won't be able to put something together for this one i always love to watch your films.
It's funny, i was off to such a great start with this one, but my project seems to have stalled a little. The last half of this month has been much busier for me, & getting out to get the last of the footage i need for my original plan hasn't happened. I may have to tweak things a little to make it all work.
Old November 28th, 2015, 11:37 AM   #51
Trustee

Bryce,

I've been coming to Montana for three decades and I've never seen this many animals.
In Iowa maybe I see a deer on the road once a year or so. Driving 52 miles out of the North entrance back to Livingston I'd say between elk, mule deer, white tail deer, pronghorn antelope and bighorn sheep I'd say we easily saw close to a thousand animals. Cars were literally weaving in and out of them on highway 89. It was insane.

My specialty over the years has been North American predators. I have a pretty good idea that some of them will make an appearance in my film. :)

I'm am fortunate to have friends that live here all year round and it's nothing to have several dozen wild turkeys rooting on their front porch, or bobcats crossing a semi-frozen creek.

Was out filming again this morning for what will probably be my final opportunity. Nature didn't disappoint me! :)
Old November 28th, 2015, 12:39 PM   #52
Trustee

Wow Kevin,
It sounds amazing! This is Iowa right, not Yellowstone?! :) Any ideas as to why there are so many animals? They must have made there way there from somewhere else. Very interested to see what you put together for this one, sounds like you have had a ball filming all this stuff.
This is a great community, & the little push out the door to go & film something that this contest creates, can be so rewarding. Glad to hear you it has been so rewarding for you.
Old November 28th, 2015, 01:36 PM   #53
Major Player

Mick nice kingfisher film

Kevin I am excited to see your film , so much of good things in there

I finally have no story at all, so tomorrow I will see how I get the timeline to look
Old November 28th, 2015, 05:46 PM   #54
Trustee

Hi Mick:

Beautiful Kingfisher footage! Just to let you know, I'm not the only fan of this footage. As I was watching, my cat, Victor (V for short), sat intently watching and ended up pawing at the screen. You had him mesmerized, and me too. :)

Kevin, you really have my intrigue up! I can't imagine wild animals by the thousands everywhere you turn. You must have been awestruck everywhere you looked. That really is rare! Looking forward to seeing some of this. I have a feeling I'm going to be blown away. All the best pulling it together tomorrow!
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 08:22 PM   #55
Trustee

Bryce,

Actually I'm in Montana. Well, at least until 9:35 tonight. :)

I'd never see wildlife like thus in Iowa. Maybe a deer every now and then but wildlife isn't easy to see in Iowa.

The huge herds of elk, deer, sheep and antelope were all in the fields as we drove out of Yellowstone, headed North on highway 89 towards Livingston where I have some property.

I hope my film lives up to everyone's expectations. It's some incredible footage, I just need to find a thread to tie it all together.
Old November 28th, 2015, 09:01 PM   #56
Major Player

Damn you Kevin!! You sure like to tease people. Sounds like this should be interesting.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 09:15 PM   #57
Trustee

Sorry Gordon. :)

Still trying to find an idea to tie all the footage together.

Sitting here in the Bozeman airport on my laptop trying to find some ideas so I can edit my film tomorrow.

My flight out of Denver is now delayed so I won't get back to Iowa until 4:05am!

I'll be one tired editor tomorrow as I try to piece this together.

I could do a documentary style which if I can't find any other way to present it I will, but I'd love to try and do something different to go with this footage.

If it posts, here's a frame grab of what I'm talking about.
In Iowa you see wild turkeys now and then. They are very skittish and difficult to film. Most use blinds and camo.

To get this shot I'm sitting in my friends living room having a coffee while the Hallmark Channel is playing shooting through the windows which were specially installed distortion free optical glass since her ex-husband is a Nat Geo photographer.

She has three flocks of wild turkeys that roost on her front deck and the most effort I expended to get this shot was carrying my camera from my bedroom downstairs to the upstairs living room. :)

The whole trip has been like this!
Attached Thumbnails
UWOL36 Tales of wonders and woes-turkeyc.jpg  
Old November 28th, 2015, 10:57 PM   #58
Trustee

Oh sorry Kevin, i misread your post. I thought you meant you were filming in Iowa. Having spent 10 days in Yellowstone at the end of September with my parents, i sure am jealous of you right now! :) I can't wait to see your film, but don't worry, i think part of what makes this contest so special is the fact that you got out there & got those amazing shots. If you don't put it all together perfectly this time, you will always have that footage & can edit into something amazing later on.
Old November 29th, 2015, 01:56 AM   #59
Trustee

Mick: That kingfisher is something else. What a beautiful creature and great captured.
I have never seen these birds alive, so nice that you show it to us. By the way, is it fishing for tadpoles?

Kevin, your teaser. Now I can not sleep until I have seen your video :)
I think this will be an exciting round.

It's good to see you all chatting about. Like good old days, right?

I myself have been put slightly out of business for some days now, because of the flu.
It's that time of year, here up north.
Nevertheless, some recording has been.
This photo of mine was shown on TV two days ago.
I get to record some windy action, the problem in these cases is to prevent the camera from water spray.
No harm done though :)
I'm not finished editing yet, so it will be a close race to the deadline.
Take care everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
UWOL36 Tales of wonders and woes-gjerdsvika.jpg  
Old November 29th, 2015, 03:30 AM   #60
Major Player

Finally done, never had such a small film

Weather changed a lot this month however i went into it with one concept so didnt want to stray from it so decided to keep it small rather than not do it at all.

Excited to see films from others.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge