Weathering the change Bryce Comer UWOL 36 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old December 6th, 2015, 08:47 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Weathering the change Bryce Comer UWOL 36

Hi Geir,
Thank you so much for your very kind words. Yes i agree about the world leaders not doing enough. Unfortunately i think money always comes first before the environment. At some point it will reach a critical tipping point & then we will be in a lot of trouble.
A lot more needs to be done. Our little community here helps to document what we have, & why we should keep it! Let's keep it up!
Regards,
Bryce
Old December 7th, 2015, 07:13 AM   #17
Trustee

Bryce, beautiful video. Not only did you have a great scenery and fantastic wildlife, but you told the story. It was very informative, I learned more about the Caribou in the last five minutes then I've ever known. I can see now why deep snow is essential for them. The use of the remote cameras was great. Also, your use of graphics was very effective. Even though they came on the screen at a rapid rate, it showed the amount of scientific evidence leaning toward warmer winters. I can see why you want to make this into a full-length feature. Please let us all see the final version. I think really followed the theme of this challenge. Take care, once again, beautiful footage. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 09:51 AM   #18
Trustee

Hi Bob,
Wow thanks for your encouragement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Safay View Post
I learned more about the Caribou in the last five minutes then I've ever known.
This is exactly what i would like to achieve with this film, & of course the full length one when i finally do get it all finished! Very encouraging!!

I will certainly be showing you all the full length version, especially if you wouldn't mind giving me some critique on it!

Regards,
Bryce
Old December 8th, 2015, 05:57 PM   #19
Trustee

After this challenge, i think i am going to call the full length film "Weathering the change" as it really does fit with the story i am trying to tell. As i think i have already mentioned, after making this short film i am now keen to add a sequence covering the effect of climate change on the caribou in my long form project.
Any more critique on this film would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking this might even work as a sort of trailer to the full length version with a bit of tweaking??
Thanks in advance,
Bryce
Old December 10th, 2015, 10:39 AM   #20
Inner Circle

nice job!!

curiously, was that a boreal owl or an elf owl? I would liked that clip to stay a little longer.

Great script well delivered

the videography is great as always.

thank you for such a nice film!!

you need to now make a full length one on that same theme!!!
Old December 10th, 2015, 11:59 AM   #21
Trustee

Thanks Dale,
Yes i agree that shot of the owl needs to be longer. I am going to try to tweak the whole film with the feedback that i receive here. It was a northern pygmy owl. First time i have ever seen one, so when i saw it when i shot the scene of the lake in the rain, i had to use it. Really lovely little bird, only about 6-7" tall.
I will definitely be making the longer version of this. I hope to be done some time next year.
Regards,
Bryce
Old December 10th, 2015, 09:52 PM   #22
Major Player

A great film you produced Bryce.
Things that worked in particular were that it revolved around the theme, which you linked together with the narrative / VO. The shots supported what you were saying, and they formed a cohesive story. It was an interesting and informative film, and this should help build the longer form version of the story.

If I'm being picky, one shot seemed technically less well executed than the others - at 1:20 where the camera had to be reframed and focused on the caribou walking off through the trees. It's still better having the shot to add to the story, it just stood out as less smooth than the others. Sometime I just shorten the clip and slow it down to fill the right amount of time - occasionally works. It would have also been nice to linger on a little more footage after the VO stopped before the credits came up - maybe just a slow fade. But these were minor things.

Thanks for sharing, and it will be great if you can complete the long form project.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 10:14 PM   #23
Trustee

Excellent feedback thanks Andrew. I think Trond too may have commented on that shot. I have done just as you have suggested & cut to the more steady part of the clip & slowed it down.
Ok, i don't mean to take up too much of your time, but if you could be so kind as to give me some feedback on my VO in particular, it would be very much appreciated. No holds barred, i'll hear anything you have to say!
TIA,
Bryce
Old December 10th, 2015, 11:55 PM   #24
Major Player

Just listening to it this time around, you have spoken clearly throughout and the pace works well. The Australian tendency to have an upward inflection at the end of sentences has crept in a couple of times but not too much (it works for a question, just not when trying to be informative). This is different from the final word of the sentence being at an elevated (compared to the previous couple of words) but level pitch.

To grab the viewer that little bit more I think it's just adding that extra spark of energy in there. At times it is relaxed which works for soothing, but not 'enlisting' the viewer. Urgency might not be the right word, but maybe directness. If you imagine you are explaining it so someone. Picture someone from the intended audience, someone interested who you are trying to explain it to them - keeping that vision in your mind as you deliver the lines. This gives the words specific purpose and meaning as you say them. Tell that person about the caribou, and how the environment/weather is changing. Can you convince them of the need to do something about the situation? It makes the delivery more immediate and takes the engagement to a new level. Without even trying to control the end result the delivery changes and you should be able to hear the difference when you play it back. If not, try imagining a different person you are talking to (eg. talking to a child should be very different to talking to your boss). I probably need to remember this more often, but I usually end up rushed and going on autopilot, relying on habit.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 08:21 AM   #25
Trustee

Andrew,
Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such great advice on my VO. I am sure many others here will also find your advice very valuable. As for me, i now need to go away & practice what you have suggested. I will re-do my VO for this film along with the changes to the visuals & post a link to it here.
Again, thank you for your time, it is very much appreciated.
Regards,
Bryce

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge