DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Weathering the change Bryce Comer UWOL 36 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/530516-weathering-change-bryce-comer-uwol-36-a.html)

Bryce Comer December 1st, 2015 09:49 AM

Weathering the change Bryce Comer UWOL 36

Hi all,
Well i am very pleased to have avoided the shark tank for the first time in a long time.
For anyone who watched my last submission about a year ago, you may be thinking this latest film is about the same thing, well you'd be right. Way back when we did the UWOL long form round, i started a film about the mountain caribou. I never was able to finish it for the competition, but thought the story was an important one that needed to be told. I have therefor kept working on the project, & now almost 7 years down the road, i am still not quite finished. I have once again used this film challenge to work on a sequence for my long form film. While the sequence for "weather" for my main film will be a bit different i'm sure, i am very keen to get some "warts & all" feedback on how this all looks & sounds.
Thanks for watching & for the feedback.

Catherine Russell December 1st, 2015 03:36 PM

Re: Weathering the change Bryce Comer UWOL 36

Bryce!

This is a stunner! Wow, I don't see any warts here. This is beautifully put together, informative and your footage is very impressive. I can't imagine what your long form will capture when it is finished and it is understandable why it has taken 7 years and still isn't finished.

I don't have any technical comments for this, but here is the impression that is overwhelming: you have managed to lay a foundation, explain the circumstance, bring in outside recourses to back up what you are saying and convince your audience to care about what is happening... all in a few minutes. That's exceptional. Also, it was just so beautifully shot and put together.

Very well done!

Kevin Railsback December 1st, 2015 08:57 PM

Hey Bryce

Only one thing that really made me sad about your film. I can sum it up in two words that you used. "Critically endangered". It's two words that I hear more and more when talking about plants and wildlife on this planet.

I really hope your film can shine some light on these wonderful souls and help bring about change.

As Cat said, no warts. You had me with the shot at :12! Pure magic! You put the caribou in a wonderland setting then yanked us out the fairytale and into reality where there is a very real possibility that there is no and they lived happily ever after ending.

Beautifully shot, well narrated, very educational, inspiring and sad. Yep, that pretty much sums up your film. :)

Tim Lewis December 2nd, 2015 01:05 PM

Great work Bryce. Nice to hear an Aussie in the VO. You have created an informative and artistically accomplished film about a local subject that presents data in a clear and concise way.

The shooting was magnificent and shows your dedication to the subject.

Bryce Comer December 2nd, 2015 02:45 PM

You guys are too nice! Did i mention i would like feedback on a level 1?

Cat,
I feel that i could have made it a little longer to allow for some pauses between a few of the shots. That is probably an editing thing, as i did have another 10sec i could have used for that. I just didn't spend the time at the time to try it.

Kevin,
Yes it is sad to see so much of our biodiversity disappearing at such a rate. Who knows what this place will look like in another 20 or 30 years! I have to thank everyone here for all the feedback & drive to make this happen, you are all an inspiration to me. Making this film has convinced me that i need a sequence discussing the effect of climate change on the caribou in my long form project. I have always loved your work, & have aspired to making beautiful images such as yours. Thank you for the inspiration!

Tim,
Thank you. I kind of find my VO like listening to nails on a chalkboard, but i'm glad you liked it! I wish i had the voice of Bob Safay or Andrew Hood, but alas, i'm stuck with what i got! I thought i recognised your name as being one from Australia. How long have you been in Canada?

Regards,
Bryce

Gordon Hoffman December 2nd, 2015 03:08 PM

Hi Bryce I think your camera is good enough, nothing wrong with it with those shots. This really gives one a bit of food for thought. There is one thing, as I see you mentioned, that some shoots could have been a little longer. You got me thinking about what you are saying and the shots are whipping by. Some shots look like a remote camera, if so what are you using?
Thanks for sharing and well done.

Gordon

Bryce Comer December 2nd, 2015 05:06 PM

Hi Gordon,
Yes you picked it. There are a couple of shots that come from remote cameras i have placed at various spots in this area. I decided i would go this route in order to minimize my impact on the caribou. When i come across them, i film them, but i try to rely on the camera traps to get as much footage as possible without any disturbance to the animals. I have built these cameras myself. They use PIR sensors that trigger HD consumer type camcorders with a Lanc connection. At this time of the year i normally get a lot of action, but this whole year has been rather quiet, due partly i'm sure to the very long hot summer & fall, & also due to the fact that there are now so few of them left. It made for slim pickings for shots that i could use for this one.
As far as my camera goes, yes it is definitely good enough, it's the person behind it that keeps letting me down! :)
Regards,
Bryce

Gordon Hoffman December 2nd, 2015 05:39 PM

Bryce yes remote cameras do have a place. I still have a couple of Trailmaster setups but it sound like they will not work with the newer camcorders which is to bad. Maybe I'll have to look into your setup as they were handy to have. Yes this last summer was a hot and dry one so I'm sure it has some effect on the animals this year and it sure doesn't help when the numbers are that low.

Gordon

Tim Lewis December 2nd, 2015 05:41 PM

Hey Bryce

I am heading into my second winter here. I got here August last year. This winter has been a lot slower coming than last winter. I am glad of that.

Tim

Vishal Jadhav December 2nd, 2015 11:28 PM

Bryce

I like the way the film is arranged, nicely done and very informative

Lovely techniques to get the shots.

Nicely done

Paul Wood December 3rd, 2015 02:00 PM

Bryce, Great story about the changing weather and its effect on the caribou - super photography especially of the caribou, and a nice use of graphics to illustrate the point Very enjoyable and excellent quality!

Bryce Comer December 3rd, 2015 03:22 PM

Tim
Ok, so you already know what a Canadian winter is like then, & know what to expect! I hope it isn't as long & cold as last winter!

Vishal
Thanks for the kind words. I have been working very hard at telling a story with each of my films in the last couple of years. It is good practice for the long form film i am working on of the caribou. As you can see, i still have a long way to go before i get it right, but i feel i am improving a little with each attempt.

Paul
Thank you for your comments. Yes i am sure there are plenty of stories just like this one that could be told. It's pretty sad to think about it that way actually. I'm glad you liked the graphics. They are very basic compared to yours or Catherine's. Maybe some time i could pick your or her brain about how to do some of that stuff.

Trond Saetre December 4th, 2015 04:34 AM

Hi Bryce,

UWOL long form turned into a "many years" form. Very cool that you never gave up that project and still work to finish it. Would be nice to see the finished film when you are all done with it. Please keep us updated, and it is an important topic you present.

At 1:20 there was a superfast panning. This was a bit jerky. Maybe replace this transition with something else more smooth, or just a short dissolve or a hard cut to the next shot of the caribou works better?

I noticed a couple differences in exposure from one shot to the next:
The clips at 2:18 and 2:20 was a little hot and lacked some contrasts compared to the next one at 2:22.

The clip of the valley at 2:07 could have lasted maybe a second longer?

Well done!

Bryce Comer December 4th, 2015 11:44 AM

Hi Trond,
Thank you for taking the time to give me the feedback on my film. The first shot you mentioned i left how it was thinking that it looked ok being the rushed shot that it was & only a fleeting glimpse of the caribou that is so often the case. I have cut it down to where the movement it smooth, & slowed it down to fill the gap & it looks very nice thank you!!
I looked at the two shots you mentioned being a bit hot, & the exposure was pretty good, but they definitely benefitted greatly when i crushed the blacks & lifted the mid tones a little. More contrast now & they look way better for it, so thank you again!
I lengthened the shot of the cloud in the valley as you suggested. This was one of a couple of clips that i have adjusted that i felt were too short right from the beginning.
Thank you!!
Regards,
Bryce

Geir Inge December 6th, 2015 03:12 AM

Good morning Bryce.

Well I have to say this is a great production.
I think you have covered it all.
Approach to the theme, spot on.
You have a great story and you spiece it up with foley and suitable music.
Editing & color, I think it's very good and you do a VO to tell your story.

In this moment meet leaders of the world's nations in France.
They will negotiate on climate.
Send your movie, maybe they for once in their lifes will think before they act.

I'm so glad you made this film, Bryce.
Thank you for sharing.
Cheers!