UWOL #36 Vishal Jadhav - November at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old December 1st, 2015, 11:53 PM   #1
Major Player

UWOL #36 Vishal Jadhav - November

When the theme Weather came about i was pretty clueless of what i wanted to do so decided to go with what first struck me when i closed my eyes and thought of November , here in India its a transition month from the october heat to the winters and always a dicy time to predict anything. However the only thing i could think of was that in November we can look at the sun at sunrise and sunset to see the full fire ball and not damaging our eyes so that was the bottom line for my video. Then as sun was at the base of it all i wanted to look at that light to over power everything else so decided to shoot everything against light and make the yellow, orange light dominate. Then came the rains and cloudy sky out of nowhere and my plan A was not going right so decided to film this part of the weather but still managed it mostly against light . Guess mine will be one of the shortest video in this round but i am happy i didnt land in the shark tank, its dangerous down there :) , this was also the first attempt at using the slider .Level of feedback can be 1 as what ever bad i have done this time will help me improve next time around.

Last edited by Vishal Jadhav; December 2nd, 2015 at 12:33 AM.
Vishal Jadhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2015, 12:43 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: UWOL #36 Vishal Jadhav - November

Hi Vishal,
Well what a lovely film you have made. You wanted to concentrate on the colours & you did a fantastic job at it! Some of those bird shots were absolutely stunning. There were some lovely time lapse shots too. One though for me, i wished was not a time lapse at all, & that was the shot at 0:25. For me, i thought this would have worked wonderfully at normal speed, or even in slow motion. There were other time lapse shots of the rising sun that while they worked, the birds flying across in high speed sort of took a little away from the shot. At least that was my feeling. Others may feel differently. I have to come back though at this point & just say again how lovely i thought you captured the colours of this remarkable land. Is it fairly common at this time of the year to have such lovely light?
I really loved your time lapse shot of the storm @ 1:07. This was a really great use of time lapse & the effect was superb! I would have liked to see even more rainy shots, as i thought it made for a good contrast to the very hot looking shots of the sun & water.
Great job!!
Regards,
Bryce
Old December 2nd, 2015, 05:31 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Vishal,

What a colorful month November was for you! It was a good idea to focus on the colors itself.

I was a little confused about the sunset shot you had at 1:37. The sun appeared to move towards the left, opposite of the way it behaved at sunrise. I would expect everything to be a right hand movement since you are on the northern hemisphere too.

The sunrays through the heavy clouds at 1:07, was cool.

I agree with Bryce about the bird shot could have been in normal speed. Now it became a distraction with the racing birds.

Well done, and thanks for sharing!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2015, 08:24 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Bryce,

Did try the normal motion of the birds flying at normal speed at sunrise surely works nicely, guess while first editing i was dealing with speed and in the rhythm of fast cuts i had got it fast too.

About the rains footage, the clouds went away in the afternoon as you see in the timelapse, at my place it only rained in the night , i did get one opportunity to shoot late evening in low light is the shot i got. As this was a challenge i did not include other footage i had of rains recorder earlier , in case i decide to remake this i will surely include it.

Trond
I am no expert with the sun movement its as it is, yes both the sunrise and sunset are at different zoom levels the sunset sun is far larger than the sunrise , sunset is recorded around 130 kms north west of the sunrise shot if thats something to do with it.

Let me try and research if its any other phenomenon
Old December 2nd, 2015, 09:59 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Vishal, It was very enjoyable to see the colours of the subcontinent. The footage was well shot and composed. I cannot say that I noticed anything about the differences with the sun, I just got into your film. I think the only detraction was the overly fancy title and the transition from the title and to the credits. I felt a fade may have served you better. (Just my opinion.)
Old December 2nd, 2015, 10:27 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Vishal, forget my comment about the sunset shot.
I have watched it again a couple times now, and I was mistaken by the clouds moving fast to the right. The sun appears to go straight down or slightly right, as expected.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2015, 02:13 PM   #7
Trustee

Hi Vishal:

May I ask how you pulled out the yellows and oranges so beautifully? I really would love to learn how to do this.

This was beautiful filming and it just takes me there, as if I could feel the ocean and sand on my feet and reach out and try to touch a flamingo, how exciting!

I think this is a lovely contribution and one that didn't just get you out of the shark tank but one that pulls the viewer away from their computer and out onto the beaches of India.

So most of these shots were early morning and evening to get the colors you did?

Nicely done.
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2015, 03:29 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Vishal
I don't have to much to add that hasn't already been mentioned. You did get the colours. The piece was put together nicely but have to agree about the birds flying by being distracting when doing time lapse. Well done.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2015, 11:07 PM   #9
Major Player

Tim,
I guess i over played with it too much to get that transition, saw something similar in BBCs The Hunt start and wanted to pull it around, you can put it down to my bad attempt at that, to keep it in sync my closing transition closes the window as it opens in the start, i always tend to have different ways to put the title here to see how the response it to them.

Trond,
Good now i can be peaceful, i went through all the research i could find on the net to study the suns position while rising and setting , now i am fine

Catherine,
the water is not at a sea, its inland backwaters of a dam, the key to get these colours is more of timing and direction and yes ND filters , Mornings are from the bank of the waterbody which is easier as you have a firm footing to shoot, evenings makes all the life difficult there you need to get into the water with a row boat then get on the opposite side of the birds and shoot them against light, tripod in the water and had my feet in water while sitting on side of the boat to stop it from moving and creating waves which will topple the tripod, For equipment this is shot with Panasonic GH4 in 4 k using the natural profile default inthe camera. Some time back i had made a image with such a setting with my 5D MIII hence i knew that it may work in video if the light is controlled to that level that was achieved with Variable ND.

Gordon,
Agree about the birds flying creating a distraction in the TL.

This is very useful feedback , helps me improve further.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 02:12 PM   #10
Major Player

Vishal, as everyone else has commented, you have some excellent shots, and wonderful colours here. I had noted the time-lapse sequence as well, especially the appearance of the sun for a flash at the end of the shot.
I was also fascinated to see what the fishermen were doing, and overall they fitted very well into the film.
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 10:15 AM   #11
Trustee

Hi Vishal.

I think you deliver a great film and some great shots.
Haha, you scared the shit out of me at 0.24, where the heron screamed.
Color is all fine and I'm not sure I can add much to whats allreay been said.
Of course it is not necessary VO, but I miss some info about what you show us.
I'm a little unsure, but maybe had been better with more somewhat tranquil music?
Use of foley sound is great.
Thank you for sharing and hope to see you next round.
Cheers!
Old December 5th, 2015, 03:26 PM   #12
Trustee

Vishal, Great video. The color was superb. I especially like your use low level back lighting on the birds. It gave a great silhouette effect. My favorite was the flamingo and the end. Good way to close it out. I also enjoyed the pace of your production, fast and urgent. The music fit the video. I agree with Geir about 0.24 seconds!!!! Great entry. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 04:26 AM   #13
Major Player

Back early from my outing.

Geir, Bob

The heron scream was put to get the viewer to focus more, just gets the attention from everything else and get it to the video type of the moment, not sure if the use was successful , however being so new to these productions i try a bit too many things :)
Old December 8th, 2015, 05:00 AM   #14
Major Player

Hi Vishal
I think Geir summed things up very well, along with everyone else's comments. So some great footage to look at with rich colours. I too would have liked a formal narrative. If you are not comfortable with doing a voice over, perhaps you an use text to fill in some story as an alternative. Just some short statements, although it might get hard to tie in with the rest of the edit, and might not work for every piece. Something to consider anyway.

And always good to avoid the shark tank. Shorter can be better, it leaves people wanting more.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 10:59 AM   #15
Inner Circle

I very much enjoyed your film. The lighting and or color work was pretty awesome. I liked the pace to be certain.

you have only a couple clips of mid day type lighting without the orange hue.

was it to warm to shoot more mid day footage?

I very much enjoyed it and thanks for taking all the time to build this for us!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge