DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 37 - Watch them here (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/531291-uwol-37-watch-them-here.html)

Trond Saetre March 1st, 2016 12:21 PM

UWOL 37 - Watch them here

Ladies and gentlemen, here are the submitted films for the UWOL 37 Challenge.
Theme: Why

Voting:
Everyone who signed up for the challenge, can vote.
Deadline for voting: Monday, March 7, midnight wherever you are.
Send your votes to uwol@dvinfo.net (Check rule 9 for guidelines)

Players:
Make your feedback threads, and please include a link to your own film in your feedback thread.
Also, specify which level of feedback you request. (See rule 9 for guidelines)

THE FILMS:

LeRoy Gunderson - Nature's Impact

Andrew Hood - Distractions and Dangers

Paul Wood - Why does the Stork live in Town

Marj Atkins - Balancing Act

Steve Siegel - Why Do Reddish Egrets Dance?

Mick Jenner - UWOL 37 Why? Here is the answer

Cat Russel - The Little Book of Why

Trond Saetre March 1st, 2016 12:27 PM

Re: UWOL 37 - Watch them here

It seems like Vimeo has made some changes since last time. I was unable to find the option to make every video default to HD when embedded, as I used to do earlier.
If anyone knows how it is done now, please let me know.

Until further:
Please hit the "HD" button for best experience when watching these films.

Catherine Russell March 1st, 2016 09:27 PM

Thanks Trond for working out the problem so quickly:

Even the thumbnails of the films look great and I know I'm in for a real treat!

Bryce Comer March 1st, 2016 10:23 PM

Wow, what a great bunch of films!!! Congratulations to you all. So entertaining & so informative.
Bryce

Geir Inge March 5th, 2016 04:20 AM

Hi to all of you.
I'm just in to say I will give my votes this round.
Today I take a day off from my "otter mission", it's raining like never before over here.
I will use the day to relax with your videos, though I will not have time to give feedback.
I give some general considerations in this record, and it will be to you all.
Overall I would say it is difficult to film in the wilderness.
Personally, when it comes to watching nature and wildlife films is that they give me something without the ordinary.
What is ordinary?
Well, there must be a good story spun around good recordings.
For me, it is not enough to film wild animals and tell a story just as easily read from a reference book.
There must be something that grabs me and gives me emotional refills.
If I'm to like a nature movie, it do not necessarily have to have the most fabulous footage, but a personal touch will often do the trick.
It may also be that the film is aimed at particular groups in society, like for example Catherine's film.
With some small changes in language, perhaps an excitement moment or two, it will be perfect for children and parents.
While it is enlightening and entertaining, it can give our young people a relationship with mother earth and its inhabitants.
So a little reminder to all who participate.
This is no competition in the word sense, but a forum / place where we can exchange experiences.
Nature and Wildlife film is a small niche, we are fortunate to have this forum where we can learn and maybe grow into something bigger than ourselves.
Do not wait to give feedback to the vote deadline is over, but do it in advance.
It is through feedback we learn.
Both of giving feedback and getting feedback.
And do not forget; You're a lovely bunch of people.
Cheers!

Vishal Jadhav March 5th, 2016 06:09 AM

Wonderful entries this round.

The process of thinking is so unique in everyone and thats what gets this place so amazing.

"Why" as a topic was really tough , if i try and think of a film i would have made, just cant think of a thing.

Its now been a little over 2 months that i havnt picked up a camera, just stuck to the editing setup to see if i can finish the edit , currently done with rough cut with sound of the Doc and trying to write the VO narration . It feels like going back to University again where every time we face things that are new, since the longest i had edited before was 5 minutes the current stint of 47 minutes looks a bit too much to keep within control .
Not sure where i take this in some days but its fun, ( it forced me to think)

Marj Atkins March 5th, 2016 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geir Inge (Post 1910317)
Hi to all of you.
...Overall I would say it is difficult to film in the wilderness.
Personally, when it comes to watching nature and wildlife films is that they give me something without the ordinary.
What is ordinary?
Well, there must be a good story spun around good recordings.
For me, it is not enough to film wild animals and tell a story just as easily read from a reference book.
There must be something that grabs me and gives me emotional refills.
If I'm to like a nature movie, it do not necessarily have to have the most fabulous footage, but a personal touch will often do the trick.
It may also be that the film is aimed at particular groups in society, like for example Catherine's film...

However Geir, you must bear in mind that we are all different, we all have different personalities and preferences and we all have our own tastes in films. You like films with a personal touch I prefer films that enlighten and engage and inspire me so I try hard to do that in some way when I make a film. I do not apologize in any way for making educational films but I don't expect everyone else to do the same. No one is forced to like my style or genre.
I will never ever stand in front of a camera or take you on a personal walk through my garden so we all have to accept what each of us does and judge it on that premise – not on what we prefer. You have to ask what has the person set out to do – has he achieved that and how well has he done it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geir Inge (Post 1910317)
....So a little reminder to all who participate.
This is no competition in the word sense, but a forum / place where we can exchange experiences.
Nature and Wildlife film is a small niche, we are fortunate to have this forum where we can learn and maybe grow into something bigger than ourselves.

Agreed.

The other point I would like to make while I am about it is this. I make comments on films based on what I see and think. Nobody has to agree with what I say. I found it difficult to make comments this round . I have been so anxious about treading on peoples toes around here that I did not enjoy commenting on films this round. Please can we agree that in future we all give an idea of the level of critique we want – it helps people like me get round the treading on toes bit.

Best wishes
Marj

Catherine Russell March 5th, 2016 10:44 AM

Hi Marj!

And boy do I absolutely marvel at your ability to create exceptional scientific films! It's in your DNA friend and I am all the better for your contributions, and this sentiment goes the same way for everyone's contributions.

I read an interesting book once about knowing our unique strengths. It gets way into the DNA of our makeups and we all know we are wired differently. There are no two of us alike and is why the world can be both awesome and baffling at the same time. It went on to present the case that the failure of most businesses is that they try to make all their employees fit a certain mold and become proficient at all general things instead of honing what each person's strengths really are and thus becoming an outstanding business environment where everyone is focusing on making their contributions out of developed and nurtured personal strengths.

The wonderful thing about this forum is that it presents us wildlife filmmakers with a place we can grow ourselves. So here, I can do what I can to improve my technical ability with the camera because I'm weaker in that area. And perhaps Marj (hope you don't mind I'm using you as an example Marj!) can be encouraged to be more "emotionally charged" in her filmmaking. So we each have the opportunity to broaden our horizons horizontally, which isn't a bad thing.

But, gleaning from this enlightening book, Know Your Strengths, this forum could actually be a great place to choose to focus entirely on what we are exceptional at in the first place and become the best in the world at this strength that is already programmed in us. If our DNA, programmed for one strength, gets us 90% to perfection without even trying, then the diligent work at honing the other 10% is a very efficient approach to becoming remarkable at what we do. Contrast that to trying to get better at something we are less programmed for: let's say I am 10% DNA inclined to ever have the technical aptitude to handle a camera well but I diligently work all my time and effort raising this aptitude to 30% while ignoring my strength. I will not only become frustrated, but will not also improve to my full potential.

I guess I'm writing all this to encourage us to feel free to use this forum to grow any way that suits ourselves, either to broaden our abilities horizontally or focus intensely on a vertical rise, honing what we already do exceptionally well and making it even better. Wouldn't we all be a bit shocked to find that Ken Burns has chucked historical documentary filmmaking to develop his skill to pull off a cooking show better? He has instead chosen to spend his life honing what he already does best. And there isn't another Ken Burns out there that can do what Ken Burns does best.

Marj, I hope your cheeks aren't burning because I have written this with you in mind! I just sensed from your post that you felt a bit under attack? Friend, in my opinion, you are free to be the very best at who you are, continue to marvel us with your immense acumen and scholarly aptitude and if you desire, drop the story telling and the emotionally charged part that you might be less inclined to incorporate into your films. It's tough to beat a true blue Marj Atkins-style scientific approach to any theme or topic! Just as it's tough to beat a true blue ________ (and your own name in this space) when we are at your best!

Here's to all the uniqueness and variety in our individual approaches to wildlife films!

Catherine Russell March 5th, 2016 11:01 AM

And P.S.

I'm with you Marj about stepping in front of the camera. What is it about us ladies that we abhor the mere thought of doing so! HA! :)

Trond Saetre March 5th, 2016 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marj Atkins (Post 1910325)
Please can we agree that in future we all give an idea of the level of critique we want – it helps people like me get round the treading on toes bit.

This is specified in Rule 9. We have 3 different levels of feedback. It has been mentioned (almost every challenge) since it was added to the rules a while ago, but it seems like most players either don't want to use it, or simply ignore it.
These feedback levels were added to the rules because the players seem to have different preferences for the feedback they want.

So, if the players don't indicate which feedback type they want, then it is definitely up to whoever gives feedback to deside what to write. If that results in stepping on anyone's toes, the only one to blame, must be the player who didn't bother to indicate feedback level.

Again I encourage everyone to have a look at the rules/ guidelines, even if you have participated in uwol challenges since day 1. There has been changes.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-cha...an-i-play.html

Marj Atkins March 6th, 2016 06:44 AM

In view of the fact that I took exception to a remark on this thread where all the films are posted and in so doing have unintentionally drawn some attention to myself and my film I feel it is only right and fair to exclude my film from this round of voting. Thanks for your understanding.

According to the rules, films are judged 50% on use of theme and 50% on production values.

Trond Saetre March 6th, 2016 06:56 AM

Marj,
I don't see why your film should be excluded. Discussions after deadline are healthy and can help bring the challenge forward, with new ideas and thoughts.

All submitted films will be included in the voting!

Further discussion about the feedback process, can be done in a new thread.

Marj Atkins March 6th, 2016 11:21 AM

Thank you so much for your kindness Trond - I do not mean to give you or the players unnecessary hassles. However I will not be voting this round which automatically disqualifies my film. This is my wish.

Mick Jenner March 6th, 2016 01:47 PM

Hi Tronde and Marj.

Tronde

First, I wish to make clear that firmly believe that Marj should reconsider her decision to withdraw her entry. But, if she decides to withdraw it is her prerogative to so and should be respected.

Unfortunately I have seen this tension building up for some rounds now and will continue to do so if we do not change the voting system.

When third party independent judges were used this would not have happened as we would have respected their views and decisions on the submitted films.

We should watch and submit our votes before allowing any comments and critiques by those whose have either signed up or submitted. This way you know a vote has been placed following the rules and not influenced in any way by others opinions.

In order to maintain interest and for comments and critiques to be given I would suggest maybe a period of 7 days for judging before any comments etc, close the voting, followed by 7 days for comments after which the results can be announce.

This way nobody will feel they have offended anyone to the extent that they wish to withdraw an entry or caused offence with their comments and will allow judges to vote as they see it. Not unduly influenced by what others my point out when offering critique.

After all when we watch a movie we normally only watch it once and initially judge it by what we see and not by what others have pointed out.

Mick

Trond Saetre March 6th, 2016 02:31 PM

Yes, the tension building is something to be addressed.

Sure, we can try out the system for voting and feedback Mick suggested, next (2?) challenge(s).
If it is an improvement over how we have done it until now, the rules could be changed to make it a permanent change.

By this comment, I close this thread for further discussions, as it is more appropriate to open a new thread if continued discussion is wanted. Thanks for understanding.