DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 38, Make a Joyful Noise! By Cat Russell (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/531806-uwol-38-make-joyful-noise-cat-russell.html)

Catherine Russell May 8th, 2016 07:36 AM

UWOL 38, Make a Joyful Noise! By Cat Russell

Hi everyone:

As it seems with all the challenges, I found this one to be a tough round. This one had additional hiccups because my camera finally died and I rented to finish it off. It was great working with new gear, but I discovered my tripod had trouble with the weight of the lenses which caused stability issues. This was also very labor-intensive (I worked on that cow eating in the background for days! How dare it move every frame! :)) which is funny because the theme was "recreation". I know this is a bit different. I just thought it to be a fun and different take on the theme word (re-creation) that perhaps people wouldn't think of. Thanks for the feedback (level 1 okay).

P.S. This video might be a "swan song" for a stint until I find a practical way to replace my camera with a new one, that may not be an instant fix. So..... CHEERS! :)

Mick Jenner May 9th, 2016 02:56 AM

Re: UWOL 38, Make a Joyful Noise! By Cat Russell

Hi Cat, very interesting take on the theme, very quirky!! What a lot of time and effort you have put in to produce this entry, plus of course the hoops you have had jump through to get a camera to finish your filming. Although I have dabbled cgi back in the early Boris days, I do find it a bit of a dark art that I know I should try and find more time to learn, and therefore somewhat in awe of those like yourself and Marj who have persevered to achieve your high standards. I can't think of anything that would have improved your entry. A very enjoyable watch. Mick

Geir Inge May 9th, 2016 03:09 AM

Hi Catherine.

Oh my dear.
This was a fresh breeze from a sorceress.
A sorceress when it comes to film, I mean.

You never stop and surprise, with your craft.

First question is: When did you learn to speak goose language?
Fantastic scene yet: My favorite scene is when you ran after the donkey.
Haha, it's the funniest thing I've seen here in Uwol, I must say.

I can not come up with some advice for you. You own your very own craft, if you know what I mean.
The only thing could be that the music may seem intense at times, but it fits anyway because frequent change of scene.

You are a wellspring of ideas and it's good to have you among us.
Thanks for another great experience.

Wish you all the best.

Vishal Jadhav May 9th, 2016 06:07 AM

Hello Catherine,

Its a interesting interpretation of the theme very unique indeed.

I like the way things are presented , very nice shots of the geese being watered and the donkey shot was what made me laugh , so surely entertaining .

interesting film over all

Catherine Russell May 9th, 2016 07:10 AM

Hi Geir and Vishal:

Yay! If the donkey-chasing made you laugh, then 3 cheers for the donkey shot. I am sincerely hoping that this video makes you laugh and I'm thankful to hear that the donkeys were what turned a smile into a chuckle.

And after watching Vishal's entry, hosing down birds when it's hot, although meant to be humorous, is not such a strange thing to do. I am sorry to hear that India is currently suffering from drought. We have our own problems with this as well.

Thanks everyone for your comments. You guys are good sports to sit through this one because this entry really is "quirky" as Mick points out.

And Geir --- as far as goose language goes, all you have to do is make a lot of noise and you will be speaking fluent goose! :)

Bob Safay May 10th, 2016 02:40 PM

Cat, you continue to surprise and amaze me. Your video was a pure delight to watch. I also like the part with you chasing the donkey in the background. I know how long I spend editing, I can't imagine the amount of time you put into one of yours. The graphics and animation was fantastic. And, the music and narration just tied it all together. WELL DONE!!! Bob

Trond Saetre May 11th, 2016 02:56 PM

Hi Catherine,

Whoa, this was fun! I had a good laugh of your funny way to take us through re-creation.
You are the master of the effects, and it works very well as usual.

Hope the swan doesn't sing too long and you get yourself a new camera soon.

Catherine Russell May 11th, 2016 04:48 PM

Hi Bob and Trond:

Thanks for the kind feedback and I'm glad you had fun with this. I did too.

And Trond, I also hope the swan doesn't sing too long and I can be back at it soon. We'll see.

Thanks for the watch and the feedback everyone!

--Cat

Paul Wood May 12th, 2016 02:02 AM

Hi Cat,
I'm a bit late with the feedback this round, but I found your film uplifting! You really captured the spirit of the theme, and entered into the fun of it with some very clever effects and storylines. It reminded me of our time on the farm in Brazil, chasing animals around and watering the geese!

Very well done!

Catherine Russell May 12th, 2016 06:42 AM

Thanks Paul! How nice of you to make this effort to give feedback when you weren't able to submit this round. I pay close attention to your feedback, you have wonderful insight as to practical changes that can improve a film. I appreciate your effort, along with everyone else.

Best,

--C