UWOL#38 - To the top of the world, and back again by Geir Inge B. Brekke at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old May 8th, 2016, 02:31 PM   #1
Trustee

UWOL#38 - To the top of the world, and back again by Geir Inge B. Brekke

In short: I dream of hiking, while I do some gardening.
I've broken the rules of editing/filming, a few places.
You see when the scenes appear :)

Feel free to give your comments.

Old May 8th, 2016, 04:12 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: UWOL#38 - To the top of the world, and back again by Geir Inge B. Brekke

Oh Geir, what can one possibly say to a master about his craft. This is a beautiful piece and a beautiful story. Stunning cinematography using the very creative interplay between watching you and watching what you are watching ☺. Nice touch on the theme recreation and the effect you used to show you dreaming back to another time. It also took some engineering to produce aerial and land shots of yourself on the landscape. All mastery, Geir! Your voiceover, the music, the story, the filming…. You have it all in this. Thank you for taking us along with you in your dream!

And finally, you have really nice taste in the paint colors of your house! I’m biased because we have exactly the same colors on ours, gray, white and red trim… exactly the same. Ha! It shows we are not so different as we might think! ;-)
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2016, 07:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I really enjoyed this video. Beautifully done. Towards the end of the video you make the statement "My soul is healed and it's like standing on top of the world." I know this feeling when I am out in wilderness areas especially when I am surrounded by mountains, tall pine and spruce trees and oddly enough, snow.

Maybe that is a link to my heritage. You are correct about the name. My great-grandparents came to the United States in the 1800's from Norway.

Great job!
LeRoy Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2016, 10:44 AM   #4
Major Player

Geir Inge,

I am a big fan of your Cinematography skills, you here too are wonderful with it.

The narration goes nicely with the film and so does all the elements, you do have a wonderful skill of telling stories like this.

Did you use the fs5 for this shoot ? apart from the drone shots
Old May 9th, 2016, 11:56 AM   #5
Major Player

Geir,

Great entry as usual. I have tried to think of something to say that would be helpful and constructive to you but can't. You have certainly produced the good this round.

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2016, 12:55 PM   #6
Trustee

Thank you all for nice feedback.

Vishal: From start to 0:40 is filmed with Sony PXW-FS5 + the two clips of eagles that are filmed in slow motion.
The other clips are filmed with my Canon 5D Mark3 camera, apart from recording the primrose at 2.27 which is filmed with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge cell phone and the areal shots with my Phantom 3 drone.
I am very happy with my new Sony camera.

Catherine: The red color on my house will soon be white. You see I painted the house last year, but my laziness omitted this wind board :/

Last edited by Geir Inge; May 10th, 2016 at 12:08 AM.
Geir Inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 10:04 AM   #7
Trustee

Geir, I think this was one of your best videos. Daydreaming is definitely recreation. Your narration and music had me remembering walks I used to take. I like the way you took us all on a hike up into the mountains. I have said this in the past and I will say it again, you live in a beautiful place. I can imagine the time you spent setting up each shot and then getting yourself into it. Great editing.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 01:51 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hei Geir Inge,

This was really nice to watch! A good story and taking us through your area, hiking and spotting the deers and the eagle... I enjoyed every part of it. But gardening is recreation? haha, I'd prefer the hiking.

At 1:29 it appears as if you descend the quadcopter straight down. Be very careful doing that, as it is really easy to get caught in the propeller wash. Then you might loose control, and the quad might come down way faster than planned.

I really liked how steady the shot of the eagle was. Impressive how you were able to keep the bird almost in the center of the frame all the time.

Well done!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 02:13 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi Geir Inge,

What an excellent piece of filmmaking! A simple story, well told and with some very strong cinematography.
I have to agree it is your best film yet, and a well deserved winner.
I especially liked your use of the low shots to show your journey, but the star for me was the eagle sequence, following your steps from the sky.
Thank you!
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 08:00 AM   #10
Trustee

Trond, Bob and Paul - thanks for feedback.

Recordings with drone I use Intelligent Flight mode (waypoints).
When one is alone on a project, it is time-consuming - especially when I'll shoot myself.
I was really in doubt whether I should use some of the footage on the mountain slope, which you might see is the ocean not leveled.
Still, sometimes you have to break some obvious limits, so I decided to use the footage.
I was also in doubt to use footage of the deer, the light is completely different from the sunny footage of me in the woods.
The recordings are made on an island, and in total I spent 6 full days on this job.
I also had some nice close-ups of seals, but they were rejected because they did not fit into the whole.
Believe it or not, but I was inspired by seeing the beautiful film "On a river in Ireland."
Have you not seen the award-winning movie, I recommend you all to see it.

Again I thank you for positive feedback.
Old May 12th, 2016, 12:41 PM   #11
Major Player

I have seen the doc On a river in Ireland , fantastic work
Old May 14th, 2016, 11:40 PM   #12
Wrangler

Hello, Geir Inge! I stopped in after a fairly long absence to see who took the top honors this round. Watching your film I am in awe of the strides you have made in your filmmaking/storytelling. Images and stories have always seemed effortless for you, but since the last film I watched your aerial work and audio capture has evolved a great deal. Congratulations on a lovely entry!

Oh, and now I want to find the film On A River in Ireland. Because of your mention of it as inspiration I watched the trailer. Beautiful footage.
Old May 15th, 2016, 01:30 PM   #13
Trustee

Hi Lorinda and thanks for nice words, it warms my heart.
"On a river in Ireland" is one of the finest nature films I've seen.
I saw it at the annual meeting of "The Norwegian nature film association", which was in January this year and where I am a member.
I think it breaks with the usual standard recipe we have become accustomed to through TV channels like BBC, National Geographic, Discovery, etc.
I hope you find it and get it seen.
Wish you all the best.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge