DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 38 - Texas Spring by LeRoy Gunderson (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/531811-uwol-38-texas-spring-leroy-gunderson.html)

LeRoy Gunderson May 8th, 2016 02:44 PM

UWOL 38 - Texas Spring by LeRoy Gunderson

I found myself really scratching my head to come up with something for this one. I did have fun making this video and hopefully learned from my last round critique.

UWOL 38 - Texas Spring by LeRoy Gunderson

Catherine Russell May 8th, 2016 04:10 PM

Re: UWOL 38 - Texas Spring by LeRoy Gunderson

LeRoy! Yay! This is an awesome entry! I’m thrilled! You took the critique on your previous submission to heart and applied it here for much improvement. Well done, friend. Attention to the theme is fine. The production here is all very solid. Great script and VO, complimentary music, beautiful footage and the star for me, your narration fit wonderfully to what we were watching, something that didn’t always happen in your previous entry. I really enjoyed this. The Waxwings (?) at your birdbath are stunning.

The only thing that caught my attention, as a minor distraction, is once or twice a black frame occurred between one scene and the next, like between the shot of the river and the Waxwings at your birdbath at around 2:03.

Also, just a suggestion that might or might not work, or you can take it or leave it, is that between around 35 sec and 1:09 the flower shots (stunningly beautiful!) are continually close up (no skyline perspective) for about 35 seconds until the shot at 1:09 and might do well with a perspective shot of the flowers in that time to mix it up and to allow it to breathe a bit. This is just an impression suggestion and not a critique on how it should be done. LeRoy! Great job on this, it just makes me smile all over ☺.

Geir Inge May 9th, 2016 02:53 AM

Hi LeRoy.

First I have to ask: Your surname, it is very similar to Norwegian or Swedish surname? I'm just nosy - maybe I've asked you before once?

You provide a fresh and spring-like video.
Suitable to the theme and it lights up with their fresh colors.
Spring is a wonderful time when Mother Nature comes alive, after a gray winter and everything flourishes and grows. It's refreshing.
The variety of flowers, birds, insects and squirrels I like very much.

Just an idea, maybe I miss some background sound of the river and the birds?
No biggie, but sometimes doing background sound makes a difference.
The comments are enlightening and I follow you throughout the video.

Have not much to note except what I said about background sound, and I marked a little jump around 2:03, maybe a gap between clips?

Thanks for sharing this video.
I wish you all the best.

Vishal Jadhav May 9th, 2016 06:14 AM

Hi LeRoy,

Its a entry which i find soothing on the eyes, very nice footages and the VO compliments it very nicely.
i see flowing water but yes i really miss the sound of it, may be very nice to include may be you can try at your end and see, its just that flowing water sound makes the whole scene more soothing to watch.

THe bird bath is fantastic and does have colourful visitors, nicely included in there.

over all a nice video.

Mick Jenner May 9th, 2016 11:50 AM

Hi LeRoy, lovely entry, well thought out story told with some great footage and a lovely laid back VO. You have certainly taken on board the comments from last round, well done. others have raised some valid points but overall a polished entry. Mick

Bob Safay May 11th, 2016 05:53 AM

LeRoy, I love it. I have driven the back roads of central Texas a few times but never in the spring. Your wild flowers are so colorful. Great shots of the bee and birds. Your narration and music fit the video. I enjoyed watching it. My only minor comment is at .25 sec you start to talk about the wildflowers in your area, but the visual was shot in a backyard with a fence. As I said, only a minor distraction. That being said, I think I know where next years road trip may find. Be. Great job. Bob

Trond Saetre May 11th, 2016 01:57 PM

Hi LeRoy,

I enjoyed watching. Your VO is nice and it's a good story you tell together with the visuals.
Only thing I feel is missing, is some wide angle shots to give some overview of the area.

All in all, a strong entry, and I look forward to see more of your films.

Minor detail: Your audio levels are a bit low compared to most of the other uwol entries. Had to bump up the volume a little to catch your VO.

Paul Wood May 12th, 2016 02:05 AM

LeRoy, along with everyone else, I enjoyed your film - very calm, and a well put together effort as well as telling a nice story!