DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 39 - Vikna by Hege Johansen (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/532358-uwol-39-vikna-hege-johansen.html)

Hege Johansen August 1st, 2016 05:53 AM

UWOL 39 - Vikna by Hege Johansen

Finally I was able to submit an entry.
Vikna is my home county, it has over 6 000 islands.

Feedback level 1, How can I improve?

You can see my film here:

Trond Saetre August 1st, 2016 10:47 AM

Re: UWOL 39 - Vikna by Hege Johansen

Hei Hege,
Welcome to the UWOL gang!

You have made a really nice film from your home area.

A few suggestions to improve your film:
A little more variation of the shots. Close up of details, is always a winner.
Film straight up one of the windmills just to show the size of them.
Maybe show some people hiking the roards there. (Can be filmed from a distance of from behind too. Faces are not always needed)

Well done, and I look forward to see more films from you.

Catherine Russell August 2nd, 2016 06:26 PM

Hi Hege:

My name is Cat and I really enjoyed this clip. What a beautiful landscape! And 6,000 islands? Really? That's amazing! What do people do, island hop in canoes or small water craft? I'll have to look at Vikna on a map.

I thought your music selection was really well chosen and it made the entire visual panning of the countryside mesmerizing and draws you in. That was great.

Your subject was cool too with the wind turbines. We have them here too where I live in Colorado but I don't think I would have thought of something like that to film. That was great too.

The only thing I can think of to round out the clip is to offer up a little more information about what we are watching. As a viewer from Colorado, I'm a visitor and know nothing about Vikna. How high do you have to climb in order to get that waffle and cup of coffee? Is the recreation just hiking? When were the turbines built? How much power do they generate? Are the turbines on most of the islands? You get the idea!

Thanks Hege. This had a nice feel to it and I enjoyed it. Looking forward to another entry!

Best,

Cat

Hege Johansen August 4th, 2016 05:54 AM

Thank you for the feedback Trond and Cat! I really appreciate it.

Paul Wood August 8th, 2016 07:41 AM

Hi Hege,
Beautiful film! Now how get get level one feedback?

A monopod or better still a tripod would help ( although of course you have to carry it up the mountain with you!) I would practice some of the panning shots a at slower pan speed - I normally (with a tripod) do 4 or 5 takes of a shot a different pan speeds, in both directions, pausing at least 5 seconds at the end with a static shot - also the same shot at a different focal length, act add to your possibilities during editing.

As Trond said, some different angles would add depth - try looking up some how to shoot B roll ideas - most important don't be afraid to try something!

Looking forward to seeing more entries from you!