UWOL 39 - Fuego - by Paul Wood at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old August 2nd, 2016, 10:01 AM   #1
Major Player

UWOL 39 - Fuego - by Paul Wood

This was very much a Plan B film - my original idea was to highlight the life of the patron saint of farmers, Saint Isidoro, who lived just around the corner from my backyard.

July is harvest time here in central Spain, so the idea came together with some nice images, as well as some shots of the historic monastery close by.

Still - this was about 3Km from home, so I managed to get some footage without getting too close, and went back two days later to look at the results shown in the last minute or so.
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2016, 08:25 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: UWOL 39 - Fuego - by Paul Wood

Nice job, Paul! Excellent.

Welcome to our world here in the western US during the summer drought months. We currently have many wildfires burning across multiple states.

I liked how you put this together and the music really added to the drama. The aftermath-footage of the fire rounded it out nicely.

My only problem was the text could have remained a bit longer so I could take it all in, perhaps slowly fading instead of fast cuts off so readers could finish the last words? Maybe not, for that might not fit with the mood and the music.

I thought the text effect at the start really added to the intensity of the subject. Way to go! This was a nice job all the way around!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 05:01 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Paul,

A fire is always dramatic, and I think you were able to capture the drama going on, with the fire fighting planes and helicopters. Not sure if it was possible for you to do or not, but when I saw those big flames, I kinda wished you had one shot more close up of this, just for the extra effect.

I agree with Catherine, the texts could probably have lasted 1-2 more seconds. Missed your usual VO, but in this film, text worked fine for me.

The final clip had a very abrupt ending into the closing credits. I wish that clip had been a bit longer, and maybe a fade or dissolve into the credit sequence would make the ending more smooth?
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2016, 07:45 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Nice job! Very good.

I thought the background music fit very well and the finish showing the aftermath really rounded it out. I too found the text staying on the screen a bit longer would have helped. I had to stop and go back a bit to read it all before going on.

Well done! Great Plan B.
LeRoy Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2016, 05:34 AM   #5
Trustee

Paul, great job. You did a really great job of editing. You told the entire story with no narration. Music was perfect for this setting. As Cat said, I wish the text had remained up there longer. I had to hit pause so I could read it all. Again, great job. Bob
Bob Safay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2016, 07:53 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks everyone for your comments - indeed I have my doubts about the titles, I tried a scrolling news effect across the bottom of the screen, but it ran on too long - one of my pet hates on 24 Hr News channels, so I went for this on screen one- brings up the subject of subtitles again!!!

Thanks for your comments and votes!
Paul Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge