Uwol#41 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 1st, 2017, 01:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Uwol#41

Hi all,

I expect some of you may have seen snippets of this kingfisher footage before. I'm afraid the footage is not new for this challenge but the edit is, as well as the music.

The idea came about after a conversation with two of my grandchildren about music and repetitive beats. Not wishing to embarrass them on the dance floor with granddad dancing the next best thing I could do to show them how hip I am was to edit and try and cut some footage to the beat, this is the result.

I fully understand if you think I have stretched the rules re the footage and therefore I leave it up to you to decide if you wish to vote for it or not. Nevertheless I would really appreciate your comments constructive or otherwise.

Many thanks Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 03:05 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Uwol#41

Love Kingfishers, so colourful. What camera did you use and lens. Also how far was the subject matter away from you. Nice clouse ups.
Mark Hartopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 03:42 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Mark, pleased you enjoyed it. I used a Sony pmw 300 with the latest Nikon 80-400 attached with a MTF adapter, giving an equivalent of approx 2200mm. It was the first time I had used that lens, having just changed from the previous model, have since tweaked the picture profile slightly.

I was very lucky as the young had just fledged. The parents seemed to like a specific area for cleaning the bill after feeding, which is the behavior you see when they fly towards the camera and dipping in the water as they fly. Also the adult diving off the the perch into the river is also cleaning behavior not feeding.

I set a hide up approx 6 meters from this perch that the adult favored

Much to my amazement they stayed in the area feeding young for several days, but the bonus was the young starting to dive for tadpole's in one of the small pools just to the side of my hide.

None of this footage is set up in any, it was all natural behavior in an natural environment.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 12:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Mick,
I loved the color, catching them in their habitat doing their business, and the music added to the video.
Very nice to watch.

thanks
jim cowan
Jim Cowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 10:13 PM   #5
Trustee

I didn't really get the theme till I read your post which of course made sense - the footage and colours are terrific.
Old February 4th, 2017, 09:11 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Mick. Yes very nice footage. I was a little lost also about fitting the theme without reading your post. Maybe it's just me but I found the sound effect of them cleaning their bills and diving to be a little loud and distracting.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 04:34 AM   #7
Major Player

Yes, that's just you Gordon lol, just kidding!.

Had problems with that when editing, wanted to get it to sound above the music, but maybe on reflection did a tad over do it. The diving sound sound is genuine, not Folley, recorded when when the adult was diving off the branch in of me, background river noise removed in Audacity.

Mick

Last edited by Mick Jenner; February 5th, 2017 at 04:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old February 5th, 2017, 08:08 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Mick. It sounded a little strange to me. Maybe removing the back ground sounds in audacity changed the tone of it some. I was listening through a set of old head phone on a laptop so it could be something on my end also.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2017, 02:00 AM   #9
Major Player

As I understand rule 5, previous footage can only make up a minor part of the film. Unless a specific round was to specify we could use any previous footage we had filmed (or in the context of UWOL). The rule definitely adds to the challenge, though relaxing it might allow for more of the shots we need in a film.

I really liked this film. The colours are great - so vivid and distinctive. You have captured some great footage Mick. For not having an overt narrative (VO or text annotations) it held a nice flow of shots in succession. And with the music didn't feel like it was lacking. The repeated diving for food was a nice thematic element, besides the beat of the music.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2017, 02:36 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Mick,
Like others has said, I liked the crisp colors, and the music fits well.
The sound of the birds taking a bath, had maybe a tiny little bit too high pitch. I have got the same issues when filming water splashes myself. The audio often sound a little bit "metallic".

Regarding rule 5:
Mick asked prior to deadline for permission to upload this film, stating the previous shot footage.
He was allowed to upload, and said he was classifying his film as unofficial, since he basically only wanted the feedback.

Here is Mick's film:
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2017, 07:21 AM   #11
Major Player

Hi Mick,

The diving sfx seem a bit loud in the context of the background water (or lack of it), but as usual your beautiful images and over all the bit worked well, although I would like to have seen some of the shots held a bit longer.
A bit more work on the soundtrack and it will be perfect!
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 04:03 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Mick,

I love it all just as before. but 118 where the fisher is bonking the fish totally reminds me of mr Bean and the sardines skit. gave me a real chuckle.

thanks for putting it up. your stuff is always great, music perfect.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge