DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 42 - Theme release (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/533656-uwol-42-theme-release.html)

Trond Saetre March 1st, 2017 05:34 AM

UWOL 42 - Theme release

Let the fun begin, it is UWOL time! :)

As mentioned earlier, this challenge will be extended with one month, and also includes a temporary feedback process in the middle of the challenge.

Deadline: April 30, 2017, midnight wherever you are.

Theme: NIGHT AND DAY

Remember to request the upload details for vimeo front uwol@dvinfo.net

NEW PROCEDURE FOR UWOL 42:
From March 29, until April 6:

1. Players will be allowed (encouraged, but not required) to upload their temporary/ "work in progress" films to Vimeo.
As always, upload instructions should be requested from uwol@dvinfo.net
2. Players who upload their temporary films, can then make their feedback threads to receive inputs/ ideas/ feedback.
3. All players (and everyone else) are encouraged to comment in the feedback threads, regardless if you upload your own film or not.
4. After April 6, the temporary films will be deleted from Vimeo, and we resume the standard procedure of uploading the finished films before the final deadline of April 30.

If questions, don't be afraid to ask

Mark Hartopp March 1st, 2017 06:29 AM

Re: UWOL 42 - Theme release

This sounds really easy. But it's not going to be. Everyone is going to set their standards and expectations really high. Should be a interesting comp.

Mike Sims March 1st, 2017 07:07 AM

Great theme, Trond, but I fear it may be particularly challenging for me. I have a lot of contracts this year for bird and bat counts and will already be working "NIGHT AND DAY"...

Kevin Railsback March 1st, 2017 08:35 AM

It doesn't have to be literal. Could be large differences between something.

Trond Saetre March 1st, 2017 09:11 AM

Like Kevin said, your imagination is the limit.

Good luck, everyone! Have fun!

Phil Murray March 1st, 2017 09:50 AM

I agree with Kevin. My first thought was that this would be easier for me to come up with ideas, then I thought about the difficulties of shooting outdoors at night. And then I started to think more outside the box. :)

I think I can finally get something for this contest!

Paul Wood March 1st, 2017 10:52 AM

Why can I hear Frank Sinatra singing as soon as I see this theme? - Must be of a certain age I guess.....
Great theme Trond - lets get to it!

Mark Hartopp March 1st, 2017 12:30 PM

My first idea was the Antikythera mechanism, but that was too much to squeeze into 4 minutes. I also couldn't workout how I would generate my own footage.

Dale Guthormsen March 2nd, 2017 11:33 AM

This is going to be interesting.

My low light camera out for repairs, found out they want 2000.00 to repair it, Yikes. Had it sent home, rather save for a newer camera. So Shooting will be most interesting this round.

but first, an idea of what and how.

The real challenge begins.

Victor Wilcox March 2nd, 2017 03:20 PM

The theme is going to be a real challenge for me as I had hoped to use my Phantom 4 Pro for most of the project. Looks like a lot of dawn and dusk shots as FAA rules forbid flying at night without a waver and I don't have the required lights on the drone. I guess I can hang it from a boom. At any rate, it going to be fun.

Kevin Railsback April 26th, 2017 10:07 PM

Question about rule #5
and not the main story/feature of your entry, is permissible.
So first this mean we can't use a few seconds if previously shot footage to flesh out a scene?
I have a few seconds of previously shot footage that goes with the narration of the film that I can't shoot for thus challenge but difnt know how it was covered under the rule

Trond Saetre April 27th, 2017 12:43 AM

Kevin,
You are allowed to use "a few seconds" of your old footage.
Rule 5 states that if you use old footage, it can't be a major part of your film.

Basically it means you have to go out and use your camera, to make sure the entries are made of original footage shot for the purpose of the individual challenges, and not just made of old footage.

Kevin Railsback April 27th, 2017 08:00 AM

Ok, just wanted to clarify that I can use a bit of an old clip shot for a previous challenge and not be disqualified.
As per the rule I will make a note of the clip in the feedback thread.