DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 42 -Tales of wonders and woes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/533670-uwol-42-tales-wonders-woes.html)

Paul Wood April 16th, 2017 02:21 PM

Re: UWOL 42 -Tales of wonders and woes

I recorded the V.O. yesterday, and found I was 45 seconds over 4 mins, so began the cutting and reassembly of the rough cut.
Quite enjoyable, and of course highlited my need to get out and shoot the rest, plus some retakes that didn't quite work out.
Still time folks!

Kevin Railsback April 16th, 2017 07:55 PM

Sunny every day, cloudy every night.
75% to 79% cloud cover every night.
Wednesday night is supposed to ne 7% cloud cover.
Can I get about a dozen night shots done?
Since I'm in a workshop, probably not.
I'll keep on trying though

Dale Guthormsen April 18th, 2017 03:17 PM

Hello Friends

Well, still in the splint and cant use the hand. Don't have a small camera. Weather has been the pits besides being basicly ugly out there. Was going to shoot sky footage only to have it overcast when it was right.
been out of country a few times with no camera of course.

I am going out tomorrow to give it a go. we have had heavy winds forever it seems, hope I have a reasonable day tomorrow.
Hope I dont drop the old xlh1. Can tcarry much for obvious reasons so Its going to be hand held.

Hope I actually get enough to make something.

Mark Hartopp April 19th, 2017 03:50 AM

Think its time to think of a new idea. Its tourist season now, loads of people in shorts, disposable smoky BBQs on the beaches. Plus children pulling faces at the camera. May end-up submitting a storyboard.

Kevin Railsback April 19th, 2017 08:32 AM

Totally clear skies last night.
Totally gale force winds instead.
Sand is everywhere.
Tried sticking it out but when the wind is blowing me off balance and I'm near the edge of a 2000 foot drop, it's time to call it a night.
So disappointing as the skies were amazing!

Geir Inge April 21st, 2017 09:17 AM

Hi all.
It's hardly possible to believe. This round, with 2 months deadline, I have not filmed a shit (sorry for my language).
Much due to illness and a stay in hospitals, but still - I'm a little embarrassed to say that it is bad for the effort.
One night I have been out to film the northern lights, no results. Just a glimpse.
I have 2-3 days next week, available to film the night and day theme.
How do I do this, I wonder? I must have an object, something to film - but what?
Suddenly it hit me, maybe I will try to film the toads in the Austefjord?
As I am an expert in chatting with myself, the answer was YES - I have to try.
The toads move mostly at night, from it's winter destination, down to the water/lake where they mate.
The toads lay long strings with eggs attached to the seaweed, in the water.
What's exciting is the following: Is it too late, too early, or will I manage to catch the toad migration on time?
This will be exciting, if only the weather forecast keeps what it promises - sunny and warmer weather.
Next Friday I'll drive in my motorhome and stay till Sunday, so we'll see.
It's my last chance to make something out of it.

Hope you all are doing fine.
Best of Luck!

Mark Hartopp April 22nd, 2017 04:03 AM

Do what I'll going to do. Go out any enjoy filming what ever I can find. It's my own challenge - make something out of nothing. If it fits in with the competition I'll up load it.

Paul Mailath April 29th, 2017 03:23 AM

I have to admit defeat - I had a good idea but needed an infrared torch and then when it arrived I picked up a lot of work as a camera assist on a series of TVC's for a bank - good money but exhausting. we wrapped the last interviews on Fri and I haven't got the energy to press record on anything.

Kevin Railsback April 29th, 2017 08:09 PM

Uploading!
Been a long crazy ride.
Need to duck the music a bit more in the second track but since the compressed video file is over 2GB
I'll upload a second version after this one is done uploading just to make sure I have a film uploaded.

Mark Hartopp April 30th, 2017 08:41 AM

I'm going to fail this time round. Got nothing to upload.

Trond Saetre April 30th, 2017 10:47 AM

So far only a few uploaded.
Seems like lack of time, incooperative weather, difficult theme... are major factors this round too, even with the time extension.

If you have a tiny little hope that you might be able to submit a film, then hurry up and request the upload details, if you haven't done it yet.

Phil Murray May 6th, 2017 11:59 AM

I have to admit, Trond, that I had some difficulty with the theme. The obvious interpretation - for me, at least - would have been to do some type of juxtaposition between night and day views of some theme, but my equipment just doesn't really allow me to do anything well at night. I asked friends for ideas and they didn't come with anything that I thought interesting and/or doable.

I wanted to do a comparison of where I live (along the coast and near heavy industry) with the remoteness of the west Texas desert areas, but didn't find my footage compelling enough and thought my ideas where not very good interpretations of the theme.

I do like the 2 month period to put something together -- more time to plan as well as seek out opportunities to shoot in unique places. I hope the next one starting in June is the same because I will be in South America for much of June and won't have much time to edit footage when I return if it's only a month challenge!

Theme suggestion (if it hasn't already been used): Diversity. I'm not very creative compared to most, but I can imagine a lot of possible interpretations.

Trond Saetre May 6th, 2017 12:14 PM

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your comments. There will be more 2-month challenges in the future. (See the other thread about evaluation of the uwol 42).
The plan was to run the June challenge as a regular 1 month challenge. But if a 2-month is preferred, I might do that. Haven't made up my mind yet.

The themes (in general) never has to be interpreted "letter by letter". Your imagination is usually the limit. As an example see uwol 42. 2 entries where night/ darkness and day, like you thought about. Another entry with colors vs black&white.

Your theme suggestion is put on my list. Thank you!

Mick Jenner May 7th, 2017 01:22 AM

Not wishing to put pressure on you Trond, but two months for a June challenge would suit me fine.

Kevin Railsback May 7th, 2017 02:45 PM

Another two month round would work for me too!