DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL42 Imagine by Bob Safay (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/534016-uwol42-imagine-bob-safay.html)

Bob Safay May 1st, 2017 10:25 AM

UWOL42 Imagine by Bob Safay

I know this is far from the intent of the theme "Night and Day, But as you know inspiration comes in many forms. I was struggling for an idea for this challenge when I read the opening paragraphs to the lead article in the April National Geographic when an idea hit me and I said...why not! Enjoy and please watch through the credits. Bob

Kevin Railsback May 1st, 2017 04:11 PM

Re: UWOL42 Imagine by Bob Safay

Bob,

Great to see you with an entry!
I thought you were spot on with your interpretation of the theme. Night and day can totally be about a juxtaposition between two things.

I like how you tied it in with both people as well as nature.

What would a bluebird be called if we couldn't see color?

I can't imagine not being able to see the brilliant colors of a sunrise or sunset.

There was a story I saw on the news about a man that had Monochromacy (achromatopsia). He had a pair of special glasses that somehow allowed him to see colors for the first time in his life. He broke down in tears when he put them on. It really drove home both how lucky I was that I've always been able to see color and how often I take the color of simple things for granted. It was a powerful moment.

You may have been struggling for an idea but I think you came up with something solid as well as thought provoking.

Congrats!

Mick Jenner May 2nd, 2017 02:36 AM

Hi Bob,

First I don't think its in anyway off theme. The words night and day can be applied to many scenarios not just lunar time related. A brilliant lateral take on the theme.

A to hi-lite this condition is welcomed and hopefully will get shown beyond this forum.

As you have not asked for critique I will not give any as such, other than to say you balanced everything out nicely, I enjoyed it very much.

Mick

Trond Saetre May 2nd, 2017 12:35 PM

Hi Bob,

Nope, you are well within the theme! I use to say that your imagination is the limit of how the theme is interpreted.
"Night&day" doesn't have to be about day time and night time, around the clock. It can also as an example be about opposite things... like color versus black&white.

I knew some are "color blind," but had no idea some people can only see black&white. Learned something new from you. Thanks!

You have a great film, maybe you could even approach some schools to see if they would use it in their education? Just a thought.

I enjoyed watching your film. Looking forward to see more from you.

Geir Inge May 4th, 2017 03:22 AM

I think you match the topic with your film, Bob.
And I like it a lot.
We have often mention you VO and I'll do it again.
I think you should do more VO and I can not believe why BBC Nature, Discovery, National Geographic and other TV companies dont hire you. You are worth gold.
Thank you for sharing.

Kevin Railsback May 4th, 2017 04:47 AM

That's why I had him narrate my UWOL film The River.
Great voice!

Bob Safay May 5th, 2017 04:51 AM

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. It is so funny that until I started making videos I never liked my voice. But all my friends on UWOL have given me the confidence to do voiceover. I really appreciate any comments that you give me on my Videos. I guess like everyone else each when I do I try to make a little better or a little different. The challenges of really help me improve myself. Thank you. Bob

Vishal Jadhav May 5th, 2017 10:52 PM

Interesting concept Bob

i like the way you elaborate the concept visually here, Your voice has a wonderful effect on the film.
Its a wonderful entry and i loved watching

Paul Wood May 6th, 2017 05:22 AM

I can only echo everyone else's comments - very well done, and I agree about the VO - for me, it always makes your films go to another level.

Andrew Hood May 16th, 2017 05:59 AM

Well done Bob on a thought provoking piece. Good to see you went with an idea and followed it through. I usually procrastinate too long and run out of time.

I wondered if maybe some of the text could have been included in the VO instead of written on screen, although it would have lengthened the script, and possibly meant shots that might be harder to get. Still a nice entry with a gentle flow through the narrative - voice and images.

Rob Cantwell July 21st, 2017 07:22 AM

Enjoyed this, I think the theme was a difficult one.