DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 43 - Wild Swamp - LeRoy Gunderson (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/534467-uwol-43-wild-swamp-leroy-gunderson.html)

LeRoy Gunderson August 1st, 2017 11:22 AM

UWOL 43 - Wild Swamp - LeRoy Gunderson

Trond Saetre August 3rd, 2017 03:17 AM

Re: UWOL 43 - Wild Swamp - LeRoy Gunderson

Hi LeRoy,

Very interesting film you made. Nice to learn about things we don't have in my part of the world.
Favorite shots were the close ups of the insects at 1:30. Nice!
But now I have to watch out for bubbles when I walk in water, haha. Looks like you got pretty close to some of the alligators.

Thanks for sharing! Well done!

Bob Safay August 3rd, 2017 08:23 AM

LeRoy. Good entry. I have been through Texas many times and never saw alligators. Were you over by Louisiana? The cut at 0:23 was a bit off. The close-ups of the flowers and insects were really well done. The video reminded me a lot of the Okefenokee swamp in Georgia. A very nice and informative video. Bob

LeRoy Gunderson August 3rd, 2017 01:14 PM

Thanks for your kind comments. The video was shot at Bell City Louisiana. My wife and I went on a "Swamp Tour" and saw all kinds of cool things.

Rob Cantwell August 6th, 2017 01:13 PM

nice one
Never been to a swamp or seen an alligator so respect

good presentation.

Andrew Hood August 6th, 2017 09:38 PM

LeRoy, nice choice of subject. You don't get much more wild than large reptiles. Ideally there would be an action shot showing how wild they are - but like so many nature subjects they don't often display lots of behaviour when we're filming. And in this case it's probably dangerous getting close to the action when they do start bearing teeth.
Good to see some other animals and the surrounding vegetation also.

As a minor thing, I noticed for the VO there was some breath sounds in there. I find if they end up in the take I use I'll trim the audio clip to remove the sections between talking, and do a quick fade-in and fade-out so only the talking comes through. It's fairly easy in Premiere once you're used to the shortcuts - not sure about other software though

Thanks for sharing. The area I live in used to be a giant swamp (before European settlement), now it's characterised by 3 large open cut coal mines.

Bryce Comer August 7th, 2017 06:59 PM

Fantastic LeRoy, what a beautiful place. Lots of wildlife too which always makes things interesting.
Something i think that would have really helped show this landscape off would be to shoot it earlier or later in the day. The light seemed rather harsh, & took away from the shots a little. It's such a primordial landscape & softer light would have added to the feel of that. Great work on the VO too, it's always nice to have someone guiding you through the scenes.