UWOL 44 The results at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old October 30th, 2017, 12:37 AM   #1
Inner Circle

UWOL 44 The results

With only 3 submitted films, (in addition to my unofficial entry), and only 3 votes received, I was seriously wondering if I should announce a winning film or not.
3 good films were submitted, and I know they all worked hard to make their films.
Congratulations to Andrew, Geir Inge and Kevin!

The winning film:
Lessons in life by Kevin J Railsback!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 04:24 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: UWOL 44 The results

There’s four winners in my book.
It’s not easy completing the challenge. Some themes work better for people than others and an idea comes earlier in the process than with other themes.

Even though filmmaking is all of our passions, life throws us all kinds of obstacles.
I’ve not completed challenges because of work, because of weather, because of not having an idea for the theme. I have so many more responsibilities that I didn’t have a few years ago and my filmmaking has suffered because of it.

The UWOL challenge keeps me going out filming at times when I feel I have far too much on my plate and would otherwise keep my cameras in their bags.

The challenge has never been about winning, but about challenging ourselves.
I’ve never thought of it as a competition with other filmmakers but a challenge to myself.

It’s about seeing a theme differently through the eyes of fellow filmmakers. It’s amazing the way themes have been interpreted that I would have never thought of. It’s helped me become a better filmmaker.

Even though you knew the theme Trond, you still had to make a film, knowing the theme ahead of time didn’t make that any easier.

Four films, all winners
Old October 30th, 2017, 04:39 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks, Kevin.

The UWOL challenge was initially created as a way to help each and every participant improve their own skills as an outdoors film maker. Throughout the years we have seen a positive development of the players' skills. Very nice!
But the glory of winning a challenge/ competition, is of course also a good motivation factor for many.

There will be some changes starting next challenge about the announcement of winning film, if number of submitted films are low. This will be announced in the signup thread for the next challenge.

Next challenge:
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 10:40 AM   #4
Trustee

Congratulations to Kevin, also to Andrew and Trond.
Old October 30th, 2017, 03:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Congratulations everyone! I enjoyed watching all the entries.
LeRoy Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2017, 09:21 PM   #6
Major Player

Well said Kevin. I think motivations can vary for everyone, but focusing on bettering our own work should yield the best results in the long run. It also means focusing on the things you can actually control.
I can also relate to not getting out and doing enough shooting. Although after submitting early October I didn't have time to rework it for the final cutoff - four shoot dates (including prep time making a multi-DC power solution) and a bunch of editing sapped up time pretty quickly.

So well done Kevin and those who finished - it didn't all come together in the original timeline so maybe it's a difficult time of year for a lot of people. Thanks Trond for keeping the home fires burning and making adjustments when needed to help with participation.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge