DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   And The Winners of UWOL 45 Are ... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/535352-winners-uwol-45-a.html)

Catherine Russell February 9th, 2018 08:50 AM

And The Winners of UWOL 45 Are ...

1. Winter into the Forest by Per Johan Naesje
2. Sojourn by Andrew Hood
3. Following the Call of the Wild by Bob Safay

A few comments, shout outs and thank you-s:

UWOL’s Got Talent: Judging for the first time this round has proven to be a remarkable challenge because UWOL has grown in talent. As wildlife filmmakers you are getting really good at what you do, and I am actually a bit relieved that other routine pillars of this community did not have the occasion to submit this time and add to the difficulty of this position.

You all are technically adept with your craft, both behind the camera and in production and your improvements are palpable.

So when each submission is grounded in solid technical skill, adept at storytelling and production-savvy, how does one quantify one from another? The answer to this will be different with each judge and I have chosen grit to be my viewing filter.

Grit is a mixture of passion and perseverance that when developed will beat out raw talent every time. We are born with talent, but true grit we can grow by pushing ourselves. I have chosen to look for gritty moves in your own works as a determining factor discerning between mutual achievements. Are you trying new things? Are you pushing yourself to grow? Are you risking falling flat in a new attempt? Are you passionately out there, enduring uncomfortable situations to come up with what you are after? If you have done any of these this time, it just may have given you a slight edge.

I promise you that if you didn’t make it in the top three this time, you are oh so close, more than you think. There are no stand-alone giants in this group anymore.

Shout outs:

1. Vishal, the phenomena of bird murmuration completely astounds me, and I am forever in your debt you brought it to us on a silver platter.
2. Mick Jenner, for making the time and effort to support your UWOL community when you didn’t submit this time. That is the true UWOL spirit.
3. Geir Inge, for doing the right thing and creating the shark tank thread and diving in for a swim. I hope you and Trond are only missing a hand or foot? Nothing too grave?
4. Calling Andrew Hood. You submitted and then haven’t been seen again. Are you okay?

A big thank you to Trond, who keeps this forum alive and faithfully encourages us into the fold, time and again. You’re the best.

And now that this round has drawn to a close, if we were all in the same place, I would suggest we all go down to the local pub and quaff a brew together: to friends, to wildlife and wild places, to the pursuit of excellence and best of all, to chat about the new collaborative film UWOL is about to embark on. The honor has been all mine. Cheers!

Trond Saetre February 9th, 2018 09:22 AM

Re: And The Winners of UWOL 45 Are ...

Congratulations guys! You all did a great job making really good films.

Vishal Jadhav February 9th, 2018 09:41 AM

Congrats Guys , wonderful films loved watching them.

Bryce Comer February 9th, 2018 10:27 AM

Congratulations Per, Andrew & Bob,
Lovely films!!
Well done to everyone, as always, great viewing.
Thanks Cat for such an in depth review of all the films. Thanks Trond for all you do, & Chris for hosting!!

Paul Wood February 9th, 2018 11:08 AM

Well done, Per, Andrew and Bob!
A big thanks to Cat for an excellent job, and of course to Trond, and Chris!

Things are settling down here, so I hope to see you in the next round!

Per Johan Naesje February 9th, 2018 02:29 PM

Wow, that was a big surprise, but I think all who managed to make a film for this round was a winner!

And a big thanks to you Cat for your great job giving us so much feedback on our films
To Trond for holding this challenge alive and Chris for hosting

Bob Safay February 9th, 2018 05:09 PM

Hey Per and Andrew, great job! Congratulations on submitting such great entries. You both took us into a new world. Thank you.

And to everyone else, I am glad you enjoyed my video and I am going to incorporate your suggestions into version 2 and repost it. Please feel free to tell me what you think of the new version.

Per, what are your impressions of the C200?

Bob

Geir Inge February 10th, 2018 12:40 AM

Congrats to the winners and all competers. Great films! Great judge - Cat, you're the best! And Trond and Chris, thank you.

Mick Jenner February 10th, 2018 03:22 AM

Congratulations to the winners and to those who entered, with a special mention and thanks to Cat for taking on the the roll of judge this round.

Mick

Gordon Hoffman February 10th, 2018 08:35 AM

Yes congratulation Per Johan, Andrew, Bob and everyone whole contributed. Cat did a wonderful job and I don't think it was an easy one. Also a big thank you to Trond and Chris for letting us to carry on.

Gordon

LeRoy Gunderson February 11th, 2018 09:50 AM

Congratulations to the winners and all who managed to get an entry together and submitted.

Andrew Hood February 11th, 2018 04:21 PM

Well done Per, Bob and those who submitted.

Great to have you back on board Cat.
Great work making it all happen Trond, and Chris for keeping the lights on.

Apologies I've been totally MIA - been a busy week. Definitely still breathing, although sleep is a different matter. Finishing off DVDs for a dance concert, plus filming a quit smoking ad Friday, editing and submitting Sunday. So I'd best catch up after work today.